Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Abraham Family: Update after 7 weeks!

Abraham Family: Update after 7 weeks!

Old May 26th 2005, 5:36 am
Forum Regular

Wolves2stayup! will become famous soon enough
Default Abraham Family: Update after 7 weeks!

Well, what a roller coaster, we've now been here for 7 weeks and so far so good!
We arrived here on the 3rd April, very tired, but excited. Fortunately we were being picked up by the guy we are renting our house from. We arrived our house in Port Kennedy and tried to stay up as long as we could, but finally lost the fight at about 8pm.
The weather was good for the next few weeks and here is a list of the things we have done:
1 Transferred our driving licences to aussie licences (day1)
2 Opened up bank accounts with the commonwealth bank (day1)
3 Enrolled kids in Rockingham Lakes Primary (day 3) They were desperate to go to school as they had made friends on day 1 and didn't want to sit in any more offices whilst we sorted our lives out.
4 Arranged Medicare, quite straight forward
5 Visited Centrelink to received child allowance, again a straight forward process, although a stinker of a form to fill in.
6 Went to our first barbie and met some people, by the way the world is definitely smaller than you think, we met a couple who arrived on the same day as us and came from the same town!!!
7 Unfortunately found out that our furniture would be delayed two weeks, so had to spend more money on rent that we had wanted to in our current house. But we were lucky enough to be asked by John and Eve if we wanted to rent one of their other houses for a 3 - 4 month period.
8 Paul my husband has had 3 jobs since he got here, but has now decided he doesn't want to work in a factory and is going out on his own with Jims Lawn Mowing Franchise! He's just agreed a deal, so things are rocking and rolling!
9 I've had a phone interview with Bunnings as a team leader, so I'm waiting to hear if I will get another interview up in Welshpool.
10 Spent loads of money on everyday living, but the sun is shining
11 Oh forgot picked up cat in week 2 who is acting like she has lived here all of her life, so to any of you who are wondering whether your cat will survive, I suppose it depends on cat, but ours is fine.

We are doing fine and so far I've only really 3 days where I've felt a bit down, because I've always worked and been with people so I was feeling a bit lonely and Paul was out working, so he was starting to get a feel for the place, we did throw ourselves straight into it but that's us, Paul joined with a local Rugby team and then we got invites to peoples houses, so that helps. Again that depends on personalities, and I'm not saying we're really outgoing, but you do have to make the effort and probably put yourself into positions you might not feel that comfortable with. Having kids helps loads.....they are all in different clubs, martial arts, footie and gymnastics, so we have a very busy week.

It's only been a short period of time, but we feel quite happy at the moment. They're are things that bug you bit, like bank charges and other bits and pieces, but you either deal with it or you don't I suppose.

I'm no expert, but if anyone does have any questions please feel free to ask....one word of advise if you are bringing any mats or rugs, get them cleaned before, you bring them. We had 2 rugs which have been kept back for cleaning and a pair of golf shoes, which has cost us $124.

Look forward to hearing from anyone!

Sam
Old May 26th 2005, 5:40 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abraham Family: Update after 7 weeks!

Hi sam, so glad to hear that things are getting sorted and that you and your family are settling in ok. Good luck for the future. Keep us all posted.

Louise
Old May 26th 2005, 6:31 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Glad you're settling in well. We're four weeks in and doing OK.
One request though - please update your user name. I don't even mind if you change it to Wolvestogoup! - it'll happen sometime, maybe...!

Boing boing!
Old May 26th 2005, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

HI Sam,

So glad things are going well for you.

It's great to read these threads to let us know how you're getting on, especially as we are heading off to Perth too if all goes well!! (just waiting and waiting for meds at mo).

So good luck to you and your family and keep us posted
Old May 26th 2005, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Glad to see everything is working out for you and your family, Goodluck with the job!!

Claire & Family
Old May 26th 2005, 8:23 pm
blossom

Sounds like all is going well for you all - live to enjoy as much as you can.

Thanks for the post, its good to hear how people are doing.

Blossom

Old May 26th 2005, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wolves2stayup!
Well, what a roller coaster, we've now been here for 7 weeks and so far so good!
We arrived here on the 3rd April, very tired, but excited. Fortunately we were being picked up by the guy we are renting our house from. We arrived our house in Port Kennedy and tried to stay up as long as we could, but finally lost the fight at about 8pm.
The weather was good for the next few weeks and here is a list of the things we have done:
3 Enrolled kids in Rockingham Lakes Primary (day 3) They were desperate to go to school as they had made friends on day 1 and didn't want to sit in any more offices whilst we sorted our lives out.
5 Visited Centrelink to received child allowance, again a straight forward process, although a stinker of a form to fill in.
6 Went to our first barbie and met some people, by the way the world is definitely smaller than you think, we met a couple who arrived on the same day as us and came from the same town!!!
7 Unfortunately found out that our furniture would be delayed two weeks, so had to spend more money on rent that we had wanted to in our current house. But we were lucky enough to be asked by John and Eve if we wanted to rent one of their other houses for a 3 - 4 month period.
8 Paul my husband has had 3 jobs since he got here, but has now decided he doesn't want to work in a factory and is going out on his own with Jims Lawn Mowing Franchise! He's just agreed a deal, so things are rocking and rolling!
9 I've had a phone interview with Bunnings as a team leader, so I'm waiting to hear if I will get another interview up in Welshpool.
11 Oh forgot picked up cat in week 2 who is acting like she has lived here all of her life, so to any of you who are wondering whether your cat will survive, I suppose it depends on cat, but ours is fine.

We are doing fine and so far I've only really 3 days where I've felt a bit down, because I've always worked and been with people so I was feeling a bit lonely and Paul was out working, so he was starting to get a feel for the place, we did throw ourselves straight into it but that's us, Paul joined with a local Rugby team and then we got invites to peoples houses, so that helps. Again that depends on personalities, and I'm not saying we're really outgoing, but you do have to make the effort and probably put yourself into positions you might not feel that comfortable with. Having kids helps loads.....they are all in different clubs, martial arts, footie and gymnastics, so we have a very busy week.

It's only been a short period of time, but we feel quite happy at the moment. They're are things that bug you bit, like bank charges and other bits and pieces, but you either deal with it or you don't I suppose.

I'm no expert, but if anyone does have any questions please feel free to ask....one word of advise if you are bringing any mats or rugs, get them cleaned before, you bring them. We had 2 rugs which have been kept back for cleaning and a pair of golf shoes, which has cost us $124.

Sam
So glad to hear everything is going so well for you, keep happy and stay lucky.xx
Old May 26th 2005, 11:58 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Glad to hear you`re loving it. We`ll be there soon.

I'm no expert, but if anyone does have any questions please feel free to ask....
Yeah.... how did you go about buying a car? If you did buy a car of course. What did you choose, what mileage/price and where did you find it.
Old May 27th 2005, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

Sam
Glad things are going so well, you guys are well organised - hope its the same for me when I finally get out there