Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Above ground pools + fencing...

Above ground pools + fencing...

Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice
Default Above ground pools + fencing...

Hi there
Just put up a 12' intex above ground pool - we love it. But have been reminded by our Aussie friends about the fencing laws. Has anyone had one of these pools before and got some good, preferably temporary fencing?

I've done a search and the only fencing I can find are permanent ones (which require drilling holes in the ground and we are renting and the garden's paved), or the ones used on construction sites which would work but aren't that attractive and I think they are for hiring rather than buying.

Cheers me dears!
Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Above ground pools + fencing...

we went to clarks rubber at o connor and we were told that we did not need any fencing as they were temp pools and not full time - we have a 15ft one with ladder which we remove when we are not in pool

have been told however if you go to yr council they will say you need fencing and demand perm fencing

but if anyone does know about temp fencing then i am all ears
Old Dec 20th 2008, 12:43 pm
ABCDiamond

Some WA related quotes:

I would check with the local council about the laws.

Above ground pools
The required effective height of the walls of an above ground swimming pool lawfully constructed after 1 February 1991 is 1,200mm.
The walls of the pool had to be constructed so they provided a barrier not less than the standard for a pool fence.
Fixed or removable ladders were not permitted unless contained within a complying pool fence.
A swimming pool or spa with a depth of water more than 300mm must have suitable barriers of safety fencing in accordance with AS 1926.1 to restrict access by young children from both the property and inside the house.
and

A portable wading pool that is capable of being filled with water to a depth of no more than 300mm does not need to have a barrier.
http://cat5.poolsafety.com.au/upload...ols%203-11.pdf

Old Dec 20th 2008, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

Thanks - we are going to go to Bunnings today and see if there is anything - even a dog safety gate or baby cage (!) or something just to deter my 2 yr old... I'll let you know the results!
Old Dec 21st 2008, 12:10 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movin'on
Thanks - we are going to go to Bunnings today and see if there is anything - even a dog safety gate or baby cage (!) or something just to deter my 2 yr old... I'll let you know the results!

Call a pool building company - and ask them what fencing contractor they use

when they dig a pool - they have to fence the hole - and the pool until you put in the permanent fencing - so they all use temp fencing contractors. It is a bit building sitey type stuff but better safe than sorry.

Fencing regs are very strict - cm's gap between floor and bottom of fence, height and access to the lock, gate must open a certain way , etc.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

yes, what spalen said
Old Dec 21st 2008, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by movin'on
Hi there
Just put up a 12' intex above ground pool - we love it. But have been reminded by our Aussie friends about the fencing laws. Has anyone had one of these pools before and got some good, preferably temporary fencing?

I've done a search and the only fencing I can find are permanent ones (which require drilling holes in the ground and we are renting and the garden's paved), or the ones used on construction sites which would work but aren't that attractive and I think they are for hiring rather than buying.

Cheers me dears!

Hi

We have also bought an intex above ground pool, without thinking about what we might need, it was only when talking to a neighbour they mentioned the fencing. We just thought it was a paddling pool and wouldn't make much difference. On looking at the council site we need fencing, but they will look at the pool area being protected with complying barriers that may include:
• Boundary fencing
• Existing dwelling walls
• Existing dwelling doors
• Existing dwelling windows

Also does anyone know how much it would cost to fill the pool, we are looking at about 18,000 litres?

As usual any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Tracy
Old Dec 21st 2008, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

neiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to all

Hi

We have above ground pool from classic pools and had it sunk into the ground if you do go for fencing use bunnings they do the classic pool fence and its powder coated dont use a fencing company they are a rip off and if you have a local handy man get him to put it in for you. We were quoted $3100 from a fencing company but from bunnings and installed cost us just under $2000.We have a 39000ltr pool and costus about $100 to fill.
Old Dec 21st 2008, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by neiluk
Hi

We have above ground pool from classic pools and had it sunk into the ground if you do go for fencing use bunnings they do the classic pool fence and its powder coated dont use a fencing company they are a rip off and if you have a local handy man get him to put it in for you. We were quoted $3100 from a fencing company but from bunnings and installed cost us just under $2000.We have a 39000ltr pool and costus about $100 to fill.
Thanks for this, it is really appreciated, did you use a water re-cycling company to fill the pool ? Many thanks

Tracy
Old Dec 21st 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

neiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to allneiluk is a name known to all

No we did it by hose pipe got our water permit took day and a half just had the water bill in and yes it was about $100