Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

About Perth etc......

About Perth etc......

Old Oct 12th 2002, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough
Default About Perth etc......

Hello Shona, it seems a while since we contacted each other. Thanx for the funny pix.

I never managed to get myself around the ex-pats website so I would like to give you some of my observations here so that you might pass them on if you want.

Perth, geographically is spread over quite a distance. Most of it is beautiful - a lot of it built around the Swan River or alongside the Indian Ocean. The State of WA is very large and if you need to take time away for touring etc., you can go somewhere relatively quiet within a few hours.

There are new homes popping up practically everywhere as there is a current real estate boom. Interest rates have been very competitive but I figure that can't last forever. Also, so much building of beautiful units (apartments) is still happening, 3 and 4 bedroom homes will remain on the market and won't be as expensive.

With regard to how to interact with Australians. I am from New Zealand so understand most of the Aussie culture BUT some ignorant souls do like to take the mickey out of others so be prepared for the verbal digs about being a POM, A PENNY PINCHING SCOT, etc.,

WAustralians love their non-work time and know how to relax. It doesn't take long to get to the ocean or to the city and the public transport is well maintained. Recently guards have been added after dark because of general unruliness and some violence. Girls - no matter how old or how fit - please don't go far alone after dark. There are many cultures here and remember that you could be vulnerable.

I have found most WAustralians to be easy-going and friendly esp. in the shops etc., Also, you get what you give i.e. if you are friendly and honest, you get it in return. They value greatly, their children and are protective of elderly.

As far as working - I have found that people here talk at work mainly about sport, kids, Government etc., as the 'safe' topics. But then again, I have worked as a temp and don't form long term working relationships. The state per se is very short of nurses but the health care is generally very good. The weekend papers advertise usually over 1,000 jobs. HAVE A GOOD PRINTED CV - EVEN IF YOU WANT A LABOURER'S JOB.

When you are on your way here - make sure you tick the boxes that state you are coming to WA permanently otherwise you will be eventually ordered to leave.

The weather is great - hardly ever too cold to go out. I go out even if it is raining.

Hope this helps - ask me more if you like.

Melva
Old Oct 12th 2002, 10:54 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: About Perth etc......

Originally posted by micky:
When you are on your way here - make sure you tick the boxes that state you are coming to WA permanently otherwise you will be eventually ordered to leave.
Melva
Melva - can you explain this one (above) pls - Thanks - Don