Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

About my job (is it enough?)

About my job (is it enough?)

Old Mar 27th 2005, 2:22 pm
patrickgoldsmith

patrickgoldsmith is on a distinguished road
Default About my job (is it enough?)

you will have to forgive me i am beginning to research different ways of emigarating and downloading info to check out whether i have enough points etc, i find it all a little confusing but i,m sure it will all sink in eventually. Just a question for you guys to point me in the right direction.
I am a working jeweller of 15 years i earn my living this way now self employed. I have served a five year apprenticeiship but this was kinda informal with no qualifications, i have since been on short term courses to obtain a variety of skills but only have certificates which basically says you turned up for three days and did the course. I am still in contact with the manager of the original workshop i trained in and have contact details of the workshop owner, is it enough to get a detailed description of my apprenticeship from them with their signatures contact details etc.
Originally i started at the first workshop under the yts scheme and the first two years were monitored by a government sponsored skills centre i don,t have the details but if i can locate copies would this help?
Is that enough or would i still need to be skills tested.
My family in oz have researched my case a little and say that if i did have qualifications i would walk in to oz.
Thanks
Patrick
Old Mar 27th 2005, 2:33 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: About my job (is it enough?)

As long as you can get written evidence of your apprenticeship and make sure you describe what the courses you've been on covered I would think they would accept that, although you can never tell, I'm sure the assessing authorities over here have dice with NO on five sides and YES on one, give em a roll, print off the letter and head for the pub lol.

Seriously though, as jeweller is a trade which is more likely to be apprenticed by working for a small company or single individual it is going to be different say to an electrician where most apprenticeships are very structured with college/qualifications etc.

Which assessing authority is it? I contacted the TRA for mine before I sent anything off and they were very helpful with lots of advice, always with the prooviso that it was just advice and no guarantees until forms sent in etc, but wouldn't hurt to drop the assessment people an email and enquire.

Good luck, hope it all goes through fine for you
Old Mar 27th 2005, 2:40 pm
patrickgoldsmith

patrickgoldsmith is on a distinguished road
Default Re: About my job (is it enough?)

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
As long as you can get written evidence of your apprenticeship and make sure you describe what the courses you've been on covered I would think they would accept that, although you can never tell, I'm sure the assessing authorities over here have dice with NO on five sides and YES on one, give em a roll, print off the letter and head for the pub lol.

Seriously though, as jeweller is a trade which is more likely to be apprenticed by working for a small company or single individual it is going to be different say to an electrician where most apprenticeships are very structured with college/qualifications etc.

Which assessing authority is it? I contacted the TRA for mine before I sent anything off and they were very helpful with lots of advice, always with the prooviso that it was just advice and no guarantees until forms sent in etc, but wouldn't hurt to drop the assessment people an email and enquire.

Good luck, hope it all goes through fine for you
Great reply v helpful thanks
Patrick