British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   About IT Jobs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/about-jobs-154361/)

surreyman May 22nd 2003 10:40 pm

About IT Jobs

I am trying to make a decision whether or not to lodge my skilled independent application. What concerns me is after reading posts here and also other reports, is the fact that IT work seems to be very scarce in OZ.
I work as a consultant for a consultancy/reseller in the UK. I have very broad skills in voice and data comms with a lot of security work. I do full project life from pre-sales through to designing , implementation and support afterwards. I have some certs, CCIE, CISSP, CSSP, CCSA & CCSE, MCSE etc. I work very happily here but really miss the sun!
Before making a major change and starting the stressfull and expensive visa application, can anyone advise, what is the job market for my kind of skills there? I have quite a bit of experience and I am not too keen to start a new career pumping gas or selling icecream:).
Is there any chance of getting sponsored by an employer?
BTW, this is a great forum, keep on making those dreams reality!

karawara88 May 22nd 2003 10:44 pm

Your best bet is to look at the job agencies, you will find find some listed on www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/employment.php

surreyman May 22nd 2003 10:52 pm

Originally posted by karawara88
Your best bet is to look at the job agencies, you will find find some listed on www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/employment.php

I have looked at various sites and seen jobs fitting the description. But one wonders how many of those jobs are real? Also the usual problem is that you have to have a visa before you can apply. I am not adverse to risk taking, it's just that I have to be fairly certain before giving up a very good job in a depressed IT job market.

karawara88 May 22nd 2003 11:10 pm

If you have a good job now

I have looked at various sites and seen jobs fitting the description. But one wonders how many of those jobs are real? Also the usual problem is that you have to have a visa before you can apply. I am not adverse to risk taking, it's just that I have to be fairly certain before giving up a very good job in a depressed IT job market.
Its very doubtfull that you will get a job that pays you the same money you get now, also its a hard market to get into at the moment.

As for agencies and jobs advertised, they are lying, cheating, no good scumbags just as they are in UK. !!

Kiwipaul May 22nd 2003 11:19 pm

Originally posted by surreyman
The IT market is very depressed here at the moment, it's not impossible to get a job but difficult, also the pay will be lower and prospects more limited.

If you've got a good secure job in the UK stick with it for a few years, and built up some assets and see if the situation improves.

Comming down here with assets made in the UK is def the way to go, and then you can enjoy the lifestyle without worrying too much about the job situation.

If you are career minded stick to the UK, if you are lifestyle minded this is the place for you.

A good way to find the real jobs is to look for those advertised by more than one agency.

itsasecret May 23rd 2003 9:59 am

You have a lot of experience.. which has taken you years to do.
If anyone can get a job i recon you could.!!!

Even if you have to step down a peg.. you will eventually work your way up.

BTW . Im a Switch/Voice Engineer , and im doing my CCNA to increase my chances of getting my feet in a company, i will do anything techy and work my way up, I recon you should aim to do the same..