Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

About to buy a car in Adelaide

About to buy a car in Adelaide

Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all
Default About to buy a car in Adelaide

We've started to look at and narrow down car choice and most of the dealerships where we've checked online are in the Main Road North area of the city.
Can anyone give me experiences of purchasing from any dealerships in those areas good or bad?

Just trying to get a feel for what it might be like dealing with these places, but recommendations can go a long way. There will be quite a bit of competition i expect, but don't want to muck about with dealers selling sub standard stuff.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: About to buy a car in Adelaide

Originally Posted by rightruccus
We've started to look at and narrow down car choice and most of the dealerships where we've checked online are in the Main Road North area of the city.
Can anyone give me experiences of purchasing from any dealerships in those areas good or bad?

Just trying to get a feel for what it might be like dealing with these places, but recommendations can go a long way. There will be quite a bit of competition i expect, but don't want to muck about with dealers selling sub standard stuff.

I worked for the trading post for a while and dealt with quite a few of them. I will PM you about my experiences and impressions of them (would do it here but don't want to get Sue sued! )
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

Thanks Wendy.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice

Don't go for any of the after sales rust proof, stain proof, window tints,etc,etc.
If you do want any of this stuff get it done after for a fraction of the cost.
Gary
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Didn't even know they did any of that stuff Gary! (apart from the tints obviously).

It's the "added" costs we're bothered about as well cause we don't know what is required to be done to be legal or what other costs are involved apart from the purchase price of the car.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

RedRidingHood is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

You will have to pay Stamp Duty on your car when you buy it.

Here's the link to work it out http://www.revenuesa.sa.gov.au/index...calculate.html

The main thing to do is HAGGLE, play one dealer off against the other etc

If you buy from a dealer you have some protection (a few months warranty) and others will extend the warranty if you get your car serviced with them.

You can always contact the RAA to get the vehicle inspected before you buy.

Hope this helps

RRH
Old Nov 18th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Buyer beware
We brought our daughter a car from a place on Main Morth Road, we didn't get it checked (yes I know, in hindsight). Turned out to be a doozy, loads of work needed doing, cost us a fortune! RAA bloke said don't trust anyone, always get an independant check before you buy. If they are tyrying to tempt you with add ons get it in writing the quality.
Jacqui
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the link RedRidingHood, very useful.
Care to elaborate a bit more by PM s/nurse? Was it an old car? newish car? expensive?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Will Pm you when I get home

Jacqui