Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aboriginal History

Aboriginal History

Old May 9th 2006, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Aboriginal History

Has anyone done any research about the aborigines due to going to oz?
My son asked if all Australians are brown as he got a book from the libary as he wants to learn about his possible future home. He got a little worried and said he didn't want to go to oz now incase he went brown. Whrn reasurred he started asking questions about aborigines.
I have watched the 'rabbit Proof Fence' but know nothing about aboriginal culture or history.
Any suggestions for books that might help.
Mandy
Old May 9th 2006, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aboriginal History

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
My son asked if all Australians are brown as he got a book from the libary as he wants to learn about his possible future home. He got a little worried and said he didn't want to go to oz now incase he went brown. Whrn reasurred he started asking questions about aborigines.
I have watched the 'rabbit Proof Fence' but know nothing about aboriginal culture or history.
Mandy

I hope you started early with the political correctness and informed him they're Black not Brown!!!!
Looked at lots of various sources on Australian history and the indigenous population, they have a totally unique culture and way of living and have in the past (and frequently in the present) have been treated terribly. Can be a very touchy subject to bring up as lots of people in Aus have very differing views about them but that's a different story!
Old May 10th 2006, 2:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy
A good book is 'English Passengers', I can't remember the author so google it, it won the Booker prize. It's set in Tasmania in the 1850's & much of it is about Aboriginies & what happened to them in Tasmania at that time. It's both tragic & funny & deeply moving. It's the best book I've read about Australia.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:59 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Best site I've found (from Australian Museum) http://www.dreamtime.net.au/indigenous/index.cfm

Subject:
* Home
* About Indigenous Australia
o Cultural Heritage
o Spirituality
o Family
o Land
o Social Justice
o Glossary
o Flags
o Timeline: Pre-Contact
o Timeline: 1500-1900
o Timeline: 1901-1969
o Timeline: 1970-2000
* Stories of the dreaming
* For kids
* For teachers

Good of you to ask (nearly) No one else is interested.

"[I]t might help if we non-Aboriginal Australians imagined ourselves dispossessed of the land we lived on for 50 000 years, and then imagined ourselves told that it had never been ours. Imagine if ours was the oldest culture in the world and we were told that it was worthless. Imagine if we had resisted this settlement, suffered and died in the defence of our land, and then were told in history books that we had given it up without a fight. Imagine if non-Aboriginal Australians had served their country in peace and war and were then ignored in history books. Imagine if our feats on the sporting field has inspired admiration and patriotism and yet did nothing to diminish prejudice. Imagine if our spiritual life was denied and ridiculed. Imagine if we had suffered the injustice and then were blamed for it."

Extract from the speech by Mr Paul Keating,
Prime Minister of Australia,
Redfern Park, 10 December 1993,
at the launch of Australia's celebration
of the International Year of the
World's Indigenous People.
Old May 10th 2006, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

i'm studying aboriginal australia and the effect of the europeans on the aborigines and their culture as part of my course at the minute...

so if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try and find you an answer
Old May 10th 2006, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

A big thank you for everyones responses I realised i might of opened a can of worms but when kids ask questions i like to give them the true facts .

I may be in the minority but i feel that if as a family we can understand the history of oz and the culture of the aboriginies it may help when we finally move to oz, to make it feel like 'home'.

Australia Bound, My son thought they looked brown and i can see no harm in that, i realise that the colour of someones skin may cause others to go all pc but as my son has not had much contact with 'coloured' people , i do not want him to get too confused.

Amazulu i shall have a look for the 'English Passengers' it souds like a good read.

Simone i have put that dreamtime website on to favs and will have a look at it shortly

Yosemite i may indeed ask for help if there is anything i do not understand or need to clarify.

Mandy

Last edited by geordie mandy; May 10th 2006 at 9:04 am.
Old May 10th 2006, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Australia Bound, My son thought they looked brown and i can see no harm in that, i realise that the colour of someones skin may cause others to go all pc but as my son has not had much contact with 'coloured' people , i do not want him to get too confused.

Mandy

Mandy calling people from other ethnic groups coloured or brown can be offensive to them, I would not be offended personally by being called pink or white or whatever as I have very think skin, kids at work usual call me far worse things and I don;t let it bother me but try to correct them that my parents where indeed married amongst many other insults.
I am not overly PC but it's good to give the kids a good start with it all, PC is a growing thing and will not go away! My kids know to call a black man a black man to avoid offending them 5 and 7 and already PC.
Hopefully thread will not become reactionary to this post, I was just informing you that's all....
Old May 10th 2006, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Mandy calling people from other ethnic groups coloured or brown can be offensive to them, I would not be offended personally by being called pink or white or whatever as I have very think skin, kids at work usual call me far worse things and I don;t let it bother me but try to correct them that my parents where indeed married amongst many other insults.
I am not overly PC but it's good to give the kids a good start with it all, PC is a growing thing and will not go away! My kids know to call a black man a black man to avoid offending them 5 and 7 and already PC.
Hopefully thread will not become reactionary to this post, I was just informing you that's all....

I see what you mean, i never know how to address people who have different skin to me the last thing i want is to offend any one. Personally the colour of a person's skin does not affect me and i certainly do not like racism at all . I like to treat all people as equals no matter what colour they are, size of their bodies, what beliefs they have and indeed what social class they are. We are all human and i do try to get on with everyone. To be honest i did think aborigines were brown and not black as i have not seen any in the 'flesh' as it were, and it is hard to tell on either tv or in a book, but i know now so will inform my children.
Mandy

Last edited by geordie mandy; May 10th 2006 at 10:45 am.
Old May 10th 2006, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing Indigenous studies here at Uni as part of my BEd degree and have also recently done a prac at an Indigenous school in the Daintree. I've also spent time with Indigenous families and groups, learning their culture, history, traditions etc.

They don't really care whether you call them black or brown - most of them refer to us all as 'black fellas' and 'white fellas' - so long as you aren't derogatory to them, they really don't care.

Good luck with your reading and educating your kids.
Old May 10th 2006, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by steandleigh
I'm doing Indigenous studies here at Uni as part of my BEd degree and have also recently done a prac at an Indigenous school in the Daintree. I've also spent time with Indigenous families and groups, learning their culture, history, traditions etc.

They don't really care whether you call them black or brown - most of them refer to us all as 'black fellas' and 'white fellas' - so long as you aren't derogatory to them, they really don't care.

Good luck with your reading and educating your kids.

Thanks for that.
Could i just ask you is there much interaction between the aboriginies and Australians? Or do each group of people have their own areas that they live in?
Mandy
Old May 10th 2006, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

You child might be interested in Dream Time,

http://www.dreamtime.net.au/dreaming/storylist.htm

Hope this link is helpful.

Tracey
Old May 10th 2006, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I read Bill Brysons 'Down Under'.

It's a brilliantly written book about his tour of Australia but in each area he mentions the history and a fair bit about the Aborigines.

I'd recommend this book to anyone - I couldn't put it down !
Old May 10th 2006, 11:43 am
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy

It's a brilliantly written book about his tour of Australia but in each area he mentions the history and a fair bit about the Aborigines.

Agreed - an excellent book. Not crammed full of history but enough that it gives you a good idea.

Graham
Old May 10th 2006, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ohippy

I shall have a look for that book. Thanks a lot.
Mandy
Old May 10th 2006, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
Hi,

You child might be interested in Dream Time,

http://www.dreamtime.net.au/dreaming/storylist.htm

Hope this link is helpful.

Tracey
Thanks Tracey have added it to favs and will look at it later.
Mandy