Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aboriginal Australia

Wikiposts

Aboriginal Australia

Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:45 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jad n rich
Thats it exactly, if you point out that Kongs thread is actually informative and a very real issue in Australia you are branded as sticking up for Kong!

I clicked on the top two threads this morning, one is having a moan about british weather, the second is about Aborigianls, now it dont take rocket science to work out which one is discussing Australia.

Isnt it about time people moving out here faced facts that Australia has some very nasty sides to it, not every Australian is living in the much coveted upper class suburbs.

Why the hell shouldn't someone bring up shocking facts like Black people in Australia live 20 years shorter than whites. Well there you go that should be me banned or the thread closed.
I agree totally with you both as my last post indicated. What's the argument?

Discrimination is discrimination, racism is racism, abuse is abuse, class is class. A point of view is a point of view. Don't matter where you live there are horror stories.

I'm only inviting Kong back into the debate to see what his agenda or argument is.

Seems to me Kong only thinks this happens in Oz. Kong where you at?

Oh, by the way, I tend to avoid politics, but looks like I've broken that promise to myself!!

Does anyone want UK stories of abuse? Plenty of them at hand, say the word and undoudbly there are the same number of stories in Oz.

Walla
Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:47 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by steandleigh
Whether or not the programme is subjective remains to be seen, afterall nothing makes good telly unless its controversial.

Ratings rule and all that.
here we go :
redfern
Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:48 am
wombat42

Originally posted by walla1
Hi Steandleigh

I catch your point with interest. My opinion is that I can see what Kong is saying but everything he posts is form the dark side of Oz.

I work with people with disabilities and can give you any amount of discrimination stories the people I work with face every day of the week. Don't matter where you are, discrimination is discrimination. People face it everywhere, whether it's here or Oz.

So... why should discrimination stories from Oz be so different from the UK's, they're all shocking.

What was Kongs point? Does he think people are only discriminated in Oz and nowhere else?

Kong has set himself up no matter what he writes, people are cheesed off with his negativity ( even though I find his rants very funny)

Come on Kong, what's your point, or what's your agenda?

Walla
l agree, why does'nt Kong mention the race riots between Asians and whites in Oldham in England, the institutionalised racism exposed in the British police force by the BBC documentary ' The secret policeman' and what about Stephen Lawrance the black kid who was stabbed to death by a gang of white racists while waiting at a bus stop. This case even shocked Nelson Mandella, used to racism and he said he believed the Uk was more racist then South Africa.

Last edited by wombat42; Jul 7th 2004 at 9:54 am.

Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Discrimination is discrimination, racism is racism, abuse is abuse, class is class. A point of view is a point of view. Don't matter where you live there are horror stories.

I'm only inviting Kong back into the debate to see what his agenda or argument is.

Oh, by the way, I tend to avoid politics, but looks like I've broken that promise to myself!!

Does anyone want UK stories of abuse? Plenty of them at hand, say the word and undoudbly there are the same number of stories in Oz.

Walla
No argument here me old mate - chill out!

Looks like you've let that hairy 'ole primate get the rise out of 'ya.

To me, an exchange of opinions used to be called a ' debate ' or a ' discussion '.

I'm a lover, not a fighter.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wombat42
l agree, why does'nt Kong mention the race riots between Asians and whites in Oldham in England, the institutionalised racism exposed in the British police force by the BBC documentary ' The secret policeman' and what about Stephen Lawrance the black kid who was randomly stabbed to death by a gang of white racists while waiting at a bus stop.

All true, but wasn't the Stephen Lawrence enquiry the largest of its kind in british history? I woulden't like to speak as an authority, but does australia spend millions of pounds and thousands of manhours in bringing the culprits of young aboriginal deaths to justice?

Doesn't bring the boy back and obviously hasn't altered the perceptions ( in some peoples minds ) of the cheapness of non white lives but anything which brings it to the fore and gets human beings talking surely is a good thing, no?

Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:54 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

No argument here me old mate - chill out!

Looks like you've let that hairy 'ole primate get the rise out of 'ya.

To me, an exchange of opinions used to be called a ' debate ' or a ' discussion '.

I'm a lover, not a fighter.
you're right

I'm getting out of this one now!!

Got migration to think about, stuff politics, like I said!!

Walla
Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

you're right

I'm getting out of this one now!!

Got migration to think about, stuff politics, like I said!!

Walla

takes 'ya mind off the cost of your agents for a while tho' eh?!
Old Jul 7th 2004, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Just had to chuckle to meself, king kong will be pleased at the length of his thread, oops, here i go again, lengthing it.

mwah.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:03 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

To mark the debate about aboriginals as simply one of race discrimination and prejudice is too simplistic. They are issues but what strikes me as the problem is the apparently unreconcilable differences between western life and aboriginal life.

The block symbolises this difference to an extreme with Aboriginals in the heart of Sydney and in an area where it is not only the indigineous population that has a heroin and substance abuse issue.

Not sure how to reconcile the 2 cultures and so far I cannot see Kong coming up with an opinion on this.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:07 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom

The block symbolises this difference to an extreme with Aboriginals in the heart of Sydney and in an area where it is not only the indigineous population that has a heroin and substance abuse issue.
bang on the money again BP
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by bondipom
To mark the debate about aboriginals as simply one of race discrimination and prejudice is too simplistic. They are issues but what strikes me as the problem is the apparently unreconcilable differences between western life and aboriginal life.

Not sure how to reconcile the 2 cultures and so far I cannot see Kong coming up with an opinion on this.
Its hard as an outsider to define what the unreconcilable differences are, if its a case of the diffrence between western culture and something else then i look to some of the arab states where certain dress and alcohol consumption are forbidden for the locals and yet are accepted for the tourists.

i think its probably more a case of a long standing and only very recently altered white australia policy.

nothing like feeling unwelcome in your own country is there?
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:10 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by kong
So you think threads should be locked if they direct posters to genuine news links about Australia?? Especially if they are from such dubious sources like the BBC?

You seem to me a huge fan of censorship. Ever considered moving to North Korea???
So far you've had two threads locked that you've started.

I was making a prediction.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:24 am
kong

Walla
I would not suggest that Australia is the only country in the world with racial problems. As mentioned the UK has race riots, the rise of the BNP. France have Le Pen, intolerance exists world wide.

Australia though is something else. The aboriginals are treated like crap by most Aussies. They are seen as a pain in the arse. White Australia sees it as the aboriginals fault, that they should conform to white European culture. As mentioned it is only 30 odd years sine the white Australia policy for migration. White Australians openly moan about "lebos" "abos" etc, it is shocking to hear and I was appalled by the derogatory language used at non whites by the majority of Aussies.

Lastly, I am posting about real Aussie issues, not just ohhhh look at this beach or god isnt the UK crap. Australia has many unpleasant aspects to it, just like other countries. However, it seems if they are pointed out that future UK immos get rather annoyed with me.

Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:30 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

That's true kong. If someone wants bad opinions on Australia, they could ask me. As an Australian, I'm fairly sure I'd know more about the place that some British immigrant that's only been there 5 or so years.

If racial problems are a biggy to you, then keep clear of the US. Seriously. Australia doesn't have a racial problem compared to the US, or the birthplace of nationalism itself, Europe.

Lastly, it isn't your opinions kong, it's the delivery of them. Get over yourself and calm down, and what you write may be that much more believable.

Just keep in mind that in you're in a minority.

So am I; most people who move to the US, stay there.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 10:32 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Its hard as an outsider to define what the unreconcilable differences are, if its a case of the diffrence between western culture and something else then i look to some of the arab states where certain dress and alcohol consumption are forbidden for the locals and yet are accepted for the tourists.

i think its probably more a case of a long standing and only very recently altered white australia policy.

nothing like feeling unwelcome in your own country is there?
Saying unreconcilable differences is a bit defeatist of me but at the moment they are unreconciled. Substance abuse and the indigineous tendency to addiction seem to be the unfortunate public face of the differences.

Law is another area of difference. There was an interesting case in the NT recently where a judge held back an aboriginal man from receiving the traditional punishment, a spear in the leg. Just one small example which I will have to dig up the details.

The institiutions with which we surround ourselves are what makes our society tick. If the institutions are irrelevant the society will become dysfunctional. When I talk about institutions I am on about family, education, health as well as the other instruments of government.

Your example of the Arab states is interesting. I certainly remember the disdain western women were held in by some Egyptians. I also remember going to parties with Arab women who covered their hair and would not shake hands with men yet they found their position in the middle of a western piss up fine. They were not drinking.

Something else to remember about Arab states is that they have been trading with the world whilst Europe was in the dark ages. Aborgines were never in a world wide trading system. White man just suddenly appeared.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.