Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aboriginal Australia

Aboriginal Australia

Old Jul 7th 2004, 11:51 am
kong

Default Aboriginal Australia

More cheery news, on the issue of Australia's indiginous peoples.

Aboriginals: Foreigners in their own land?

David Akinsanya
Reporter, This World

Before I went to Australia and met Aboriginals, I had a romantic image of them and how they lived.
I imagined them to be a dark-skinned people, the men with bushy beards, eking out a living in the country's outback.

Instead I found a lost people, bereft of their culture and struggling to survive as outsiders in a European society they have no real hope of being integrated in.

I went to Sydney to investigate how and why the death of an Aboriginal teenager sparked Australia's worst ever riots.

Seventeen-year-old Thomas James Hickey, or TJ as he was known to family and friends, died on Valentine's Day 2004.

He was impaled on a metal fence after falling off his bicycle near the notorious Sydney suburb of Redfern, also known as The Block.

Rumours

No-one knows exactly what happened that day, but it's likely that TJ, who had an outstanding warrant against him and cannabis in his pocket, panicked at the sight of a patrol car and sped off as quickly as he could.

The following day The Block, where TJ lived with most of the city's Aboriginals, erupted into violence amid rumours that the police had chased him to his death. This is vehemently denied by the local police.

The violence lasted for hours and its intensity shocked the nation as it was broadcast on TV screens across Australia. Forty officers were injured in what became a running battle between Aboriginal youths and the police.

I spent one month with TJ's mother, Gail Hickey, and her six daughters. Through them I hoped to get a sense of what life was like for Aboriginals on The Block.

REDFERN RIOTS

Gail's life is a daily grind; her husband is in jail and she survives on government handouts. She doesn't have a home of her own, so spends her time staying with family and friends. This isn't unusual within the culture she comes from.
With no permanent home or fixed routine it's difficult to get the girls to attend school regularly. It's the same story with many other Aboriginal kids.

The Block is made up of a few inner-city streets that were handed over to Aboriginals in the 1970s to run and manage themselves. The government of the day bought run-down housing stock as a first step towards giving the indigenous population the chance to determine their own affairs.

But the experiment hasn't exactly been a great success.

My taxi dropped me outside Redfern train station. I'd asked the driver to take me to The Block but he told me he preferred to stop on the main road as taxis are targeted there.

I was anxious about what I was going to find.

Key facts
Life expectancy for Aboriginals is 20 years less than for white Australians
Indigenous children have the same life expectancy as their white counterparts had in 1900
Aboriginals account for 3% of Australia's population
They also make up 40% of Australia's prison population

Despite having been to many run down areas all over the world I didn't know what to expect from The Block - or its people.
Outside the station, watching over the shabby, main street were two police officers standing in the baking sun. The police were a permanent fixture during my five week stay here.

My first glimpse of the notorious Block was a group of men and women, some obviously worse for drink, taking cover from the sun under a few trees. They were sitting on crates, cardboard and an assortment of broken chairs, drinking beer and smoking cigarettes. One man was on his back and seemed to be semi-conscious.

Drugs

It may have been shocking but it certainly wasn't as dangerous as people had made out. They were warm, friendly and everyone shook my hand as they introduced themselves. My anxieties evaporated.

I asked whether the guy on his back was drunk but they told me he was on heroin, which they say is as easy to get hold of on The Block as beer in a pub.
I knew that alcoholism was a real problem in many Aboriginal communities, but I was surprised to learn about the heroin problem.

I spoke to some of the riot ringleaders, who said that TJ's death had brought to a head years of tensions with the local police. They claimed they were second class citizens in their own land and that - sooner or later - their frustrations were bound to spill over into violence

They said white Australia had it coming.

It seems extraordinary that many white Australians have never met, or even seen, an Aboriginal. In Sydney they didn't appear to be integrated into the city at all. I didn't see a single Aboriginal commuting on trains, working in shops or even employed as a porter at my hotel.

Having spent a month with Gail Hickey and her family, I ended up feeling that there is no easy solution to the problems facing Australia's indigenous people.
Until Aboriginals themselves can find a way of managing their own affairs more successfully, they are going to remain foreigners in their own land.

Just before I left Sydney I went to the opening of the new Redfern community centre. It was ironic that at the launch, the organisers had to bring in didgeridoo players from outside to entertain the guests. There were no local Aboriginals who could provide this service.

It is also ironic that I was unable to find Aboriginal handicraft made in Australia.

Tourists are going home with boomerangs made in China.

This World: The Boy from The Block is broadcast in the UK on BBC Two at 2100 BST on Thursday, 8 July, 2004.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...ld/3856187.stm

Published: 2004/07/07 01:46:29 GMT

© BBC MMIV

Old Jul 7th 2004, 11:55 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Wank, wank, money in the bank. Another locked thread in the making.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 11:58 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Aboriginal Australia

Originally posted by kong
More cheery news, on the issue of Australia's indiginous peoples.

Aboriginals: Foreigners in their own land?

David Akinsanya
Reporter, This World

Before I went to Australia and met Aboriginals, I had a romantic image of them and how they lived.
I imagined them to be a dark-skinned people, the men with bushy beards, eking out a living in the country's outback.

Instead I found a lost people, bereft of their culture and struggling to survive as outsiders in a European society they have no real hope of being integrated in.

I went to Sydney to investigate how and why the death of an Aboriginal teenager sparked Australia's worst ever riots.

Seventeen-year-old Thomas James Hickey, or TJ as he was known to family and friends, died on Valentine's Day 2004.

He was impaled on a metal fence after falling off his bicycle near the notorious Sydney suburb of Redfern, also known as The Block.

Rumours

No-one knows exactly what happened that day, but it's likely that TJ, who had an outstanding warrant against him and cannabis in his pocket, panicked at the sight of a patrol car and sped off as quickly as he could.

The following day The Block, where TJ lived with most of the city's Aboriginals, erupted into violence amid rumours that the police had chased him to his death. This is vehemently denied by the local police.

The violence lasted for hours and its intensity shocked the nation as it was broadcast on TV screens across Australia. Forty officers were injured in what became a running battle between Aboriginal youths and the police.

I spent one month with TJ's mother, Gail Hickey, and her six daughters. Through them I hoped to get a sense of what life was like for Aboriginals on The Block.

REDFERN RIOTS

Gail's life is a daily grind; her husband is in jail and she survives on government handouts. She doesn't have a home of her own, so spends her time staying with family and friends. This isn't unusual within the culture she comes from.
With no permanent home or fixed routine it's difficult to get the girls to attend school regularly. It's the same story with many other Aboriginal kids.

The Block is made up of a few inner-city streets that were handed over to Aboriginals in the 1970s to run and manage themselves. The government of the day bought run-down housing stock as a first step towards giving the indigenous population the chance to determine their own affairs.

But the experiment hasn't exactly been a great success.

My taxi dropped me outside Redfern train station. I'd asked the driver to take me to The Block but he told me he preferred to stop on the main road as taxis are targeted there.

I was anxious about what I was going to find.

Key facts
Life expectancy for Aboriginals is 20 years less than for white Australians
Indigenous children have the same life expectancy as their white counterparts had in 1900
Aboriginals account for 3% of Australia's population
They also make up 40% of Australia's prison population

Despite having been to many run down areas all over the world I didn't know what to expect from The Block - or its people.
Outside the station, watching over the shabby, main street were two police officers standing in the baking sun. The police were a permanent fixture during my five week stay here.

My first glimpse of the notorious Block was a group of men and women, some obviously worse for drink, taking cover from the sun under a few trees. They were sitting on crates, cardboard and an assortment of broken chairs, drinking beer and smoking cigarettes. One man was on his back and seemed to be semi-conscious.

Drugs

It may have been shocking but it certainly wasn't as dangerous as people had made out. They were warm, friendly and everyone shook my hand as they introduced themselves. My anxieties evaporated.

I asked whether the guy on his back was drunk but they told me he was on heroin, which they say is as easy to get hold of on The Block as beer in a pub.
I knew that alcoholism was a real problem in many Aboriginal communities, but I was surprised to learn about the heroin problem.

I spoke to some of the riot ringleaders, who said that TJ's death had brought to a head years of tensions with the local police. They claimed they were second class citizens in their own land and that - sooner or later - their frustrations were bound to spill over into violence

They said white Australia had it coming.

It seems extraordinary that many white Australians have never met, or even seen, an Aboriginal. In Sydney they didn't appear to be integrated into the city at all. I didn't see a single Aboriginal commuting on trains, working in shops or even employed as a porter at my hotel.

Having spent a month with Gail Hickey and her family, I ended up feeling that there is no easy solution to the problems facing Australia's indigenous people.
Until Aboriginals themselves can find a way of managing their own affairs more successfully, they are going to remain foreigners in their own land.

Just before I left Sydney I went to the opening of the new Redfern community centre. It was ironic that at the launch, the organisers had to bring in didgeridoo players from outside to entertain the guests. There were no local Aboriginals who could provide this service.

It is also ironic that I was unable to find Aboriginal handicraft made in Australia.

Tourists are going home with boomerangs made in China.

This World: The Boy from The Block is broadcast in the UK on BBC Two at 2100 BST on Thursday, 8 July, 2004.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...ld/3856187.stm

Published: 2004/07/07 01:46:29 GMT

© BBC MMIV
Try finding any London or England souvenirs, that are not made in China
Old Jul 7th 2004, 12:21 pm
kong

Originally posted by Ulujain
Wank, wank, money in the bank. Another locked thread in the making.
So you think threads should be locked if they direct posters to genuine news links about Australia?? Especially if they are from such dubious sources like the BBC?

You seem to me a huge fan of censorship. Ever considered moving to North Korea???

Old Jul 7th 2004, 12:46 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Your concern would be touching if it was.
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:09 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Kong,

I must admit you do puzzle me. You certainly feel very strongly about the subject of disliking Aus.

Have you ever considered writing a book?

Clearly there would be the market for it and you obviously feel quite at home in front of the computer and researching quotes etc and are clearly most knowledgable on the subject.

I am being serious BTW - I do think Lucy has stuck a chord with doing something useful.

You never know it may even make you some money.

Maxine
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:16 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by maxpaxx ...
Or maybe reading one?
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:23 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by maxpaxx
Dear Kong,

I must admit you do puzzle me. You certainly feel very strongly about the subject of disliking Aus.

Clearly there would be the market for it and you obviously feel quite at home in front of the computer and researching quotes etc and are clearly most knowledgable on the subject.

I am being serious BTW - I do think Lucy has stuck a chord with doing something useful.

You never know it may even make you some money.

Maxine
Hey Maxine

Don't encpourage him!

Do have some titles for his books thou:

GONG With The Wind (literally) or Simple Minds or One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest the list goes on. Any more takers?

Walla
Old Jul 7th 2004, 1:59 pm

Originally posted by walla1
Hey Maxine

Don't encpourage him!

GONG With The Wind (literally) or Simple Minds or One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest the list goes on. Any more takers?

Walla
pmsl

hey walla isn't 'encpourage' like when they cut up little pictures and make a collage? - may be an idea - that's your subconcious!

..I think I should get royalties as it was my idea
Old Jul 7th 2004, 2:04 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Maxine

Don't encpourage him!

Walla
Fanny in the mist
Old Jul 7th 2004, 2:07 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by soapy
Fanny in the mist
planet of the fakesp
Old Jul 7th 2004, 2:10 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Maxine

Don't encpourage him!

Walla

How about 'How to lose friends and alienate people/volume 2'?
Old Jul 7th 2004, 2:46 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by maxpaxx
pmsl

hey walla isn't 'encpourage' like when they cut up little pictures and make a collage? - may be an idea - that's your subconcious!

..I think I should get royalties as it was my idea
Yeah Lucy

You can have the royalties!! And that was a poor spelling mistake "p" is next to the "o" on keyboard so apologise if offended!! I try and type to fast. Get your picture thou.

Another one " Hanibal Lecturer"

Walla
Old Jul 7th 2004, 3:03 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

I think yo meant that for maxxpax not me!
Old Jul 7th 2004, 3:47 pm

Yeah Lucy

You can have the royalties!! And that was a poor spelling mistake "p" is next to the "o" on keyboard so apologise if offended!! I try and type to fast. Get your picture thou.

Another one " Hanibal Lecturer"

Walla
....I didn't think it was me you wanted to cut up in little pieces Walla!

keep them coming -we should have a prize for the best effort!

Max x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.