Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ABC learning centres

ABC learning centres

Old Apr 17th 2005, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough
Smile ABC learning centres

We are looking to enrol our two boys into one of the ABC centres in Brisbane... hopefully we'll find one without too long of a waiting list!!

Does anyone know how much a day they charge..

Many thanks
Old Apr 17th 2005, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: ABC learning centres

Hi! I am not sure about how it is in Brisbane, but we were just checking through our relocation agency within the Melbourne area. We had to assume something in the $60/day range. Works out to be pretty costly.

;(

Hope you find something cheaper??!

/Jørgen
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

JJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the roughJJJHM is a jewel in the rough

Wow, that does seem quite a lot... but we do pay £32 per day now in the UK..

Are there are subsidies a permanent resident can claim?

thanks again..

Julie
Old Apr 17th 2005, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JJJHM
Wow, that does seem quite a lot... but we do pay £32 per day now in the UK..

Are there are subsidies a permanent resident can claim?

thanks again..

Julie
No worries. Not that I know of, but bear in mind that these are private care centers. I do think there are other centers that are subsidised, but when our agent were checking for us there were practically nothing available. Thus we will be forced to go private .. and even those places are scarce!

Quite frankly; we find ourselves finding a place to live based on the availability of good care for our children! Right now it seems that we will be heading for Mt Eliza!

/Jørgen
Old Apr 18th 2005, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Hi..

With a PR visa you are entitled to the following subsidies:

1) Family Allowance (not means tested) - A$115 (aprox) every 2 weeks (for us anyway, we have 2 kids under 4 years old)
2) Child Care Allowance (means tested) - check the ATO website for more info.

Cheers

Paul

Originally Posted by jskogsta
No worries. Not that I know of, but bear in mind that these are private care centers. I do think there are other centers that are subsidised, but when our agent were checking for us there were practically nothing available. Thus we will be forced to go private .. and even those places are scarce!

Quite frankly; we find ourselves finding a place to live based on the availability of good care for our children! Right now it seems that we will be heading for Mt Eliza!

/Jørgen
Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paul and Chloe
Hi..

With a PR visa you are entitled to the following subsidies:

1) Family Allowance (not means tested) - A$115 (aprox) every 2 weeks (for us anyway, we have 2 kids under 4 years old)
2) Child Care Allowance (means tested) - check the ATO website for more info.

Cheers

Paul
Thanks for that too... every little helps!!

Julie
Old Apr 18th 2005, 11:55 pm
ABCDiamond

Some examples of Child Care Benefit: from http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...re_benefit.htm

Family with two parents and 1 child between 5 and 13 years:

2 parents, 1 works earning $50,000, the other doesn't work: 76% rebate of schedule fees.
2 parents, 1 earns $50,000, the other $25,000: 41% rebate of schedule fees.
2 parents, both earn $50,000 each: 16% rebate of schedule fees.

The Family Tax Benefit is actually income tested, and some examples are:

Family with 3 children between 5 and 13, Single gross income of $50,000 per year:
Possible Family Assistance of $346.22 per fortnight or $9,026.45 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $266.28 per fortnight.
Family Tax Benefit Part B $79.94 per fortnight.

Family with 3 children between 5 and 13, Joint Income of $75,000. One wage $50,000 2nd wage $25,000
Possible Family Assistance of $128.94 per fortnight or $3,361.65 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $128.94 per fortnight.

Family with one child under 5, Single gross income of $50,000 per year:
Possible Family Assistance of $157.64 per fortnight or $4,109.90 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $42.98 per fortnight.
Family Tax Benefit Part B $114.66 per fortnight.

Family with one child under 5, Joint Income of $75,000. One wage $50,000 2nd wage $25,000
Possible Family Assistance of $42.98 per fortnight or $1,120.55 per year.
This is made up of:
http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_benefits.htm

Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:19 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JJJHM
We are looking to enrol our two boys into one of the ABC centres in Brisbane... hopefully we'll find one without too long of a waiting list!!

Does anyone know how much a day they charge..

Many thanks
Our youngest, 4 next week, goes to one of the ABCs locally and it is fantastic!
09:00 - 15:00 twice a week we pay $86/day
We are on temporary visas
They told us that upon proof of PR, that will go down to $44/day

Andrew
Old Apr 19th 2005, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some examples of Child Care Benefit: from http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...re_benefit.htm

Family with two parents and 1 child between 5 and 13 years:

2 parents, 1 works earning $50,000, the other doesn't work: 76% rebate of schedule fees.
2 parents, 1 earns $50,000, the other $25,000: 41% rebate of schedule fees.
2 parents, both earn $50,000 each: 16% rebate of schedule fees.

The Family Tax Benefit is actually income tested, and some examples are:

Family with 3 children between 5 and 13, Single gross income of $50,000 per year:
Possible Family Assistance of $346.22 per fortnight or $9,026.45 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $266.28 per fortnight.
Family Tax Benefit Part B $79.94 per fortnight.

Family with 3 children between 5 and 13, Joint Income of $75,000. One wage $50,000 2nd wage $25,000
Possible Family Assistance of $128.94 per fortnight or $3,361.65 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part A $128.94 per fortnight.

Family with one child under 5, Single gross income of $50,000 per year:
Possible Family Assistance of $157.64 per fortnight or $4,109.90 per year.
This is made up of:
Family Tax Benefit Part B $114.66 per fortnight.

Family with one child under 5, Joint Income of $75,000. One wage $50,000 2nd wage $25,000
Possible Family Assistance of $42.98 per fortnight or $1,120.55 per year.
This is made up of:
http://www.abcdiamond.com.au/info_benefits.htm
But this only applies if the family's gross income is below $88.000, right? In our case one parent gross over $88.000 and the other one $0. If I am not mistaking, we are not elligble for this assistance, right?

Thanks!

/Jørgen Skogstad
Old Apr 19th 2005, 3:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Paul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to allPaul and Chloe is a name known to all

Depends how many children you have and what their ages are. For example:

2 children under 17, Family Tax Benefit Part A stops at $98940

Regards

Paul

But this only applies if the family's gross income is below $88.000, right? In our case one parent gross over $88.000 and the other one $0. If I am not mistaking, we are not elligble for this assistance, right?

Thanks!

/Jørgen Skogstad
Old Apr 19th 2005, 4:00 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks!

/Jørgen Skogstad
You can check this exactly yourselves at:
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ices/index.htm
and select:
Family Assistance
then 3. Estimate Family Assistance (no logon required).

Two examples are:
Possible entitlement with Incomes of $88,000 and NIL, and 1 child under 5
Possible Family Assistance of $114.66 per fortnight or $2989.35 per year.
This is made up of: Family Tax Benefit Part B $114.66 per fortnight.

and Possible Child Care Benefit percentage.
24.01 % for 1 child in approved occasional child care.

Your possible entitlement with Incomes of $88,000 and NIL, and 1 child 16 to 18
Possible Family Assistance of $79.94 per fortnight or $2084.15 per year.
This is made up of:Family Tax Benefit Part B $79.94 per fortnight.

The Family Tax Benefit comes in 2 parts: Part A and Part B
With FBT-B the income test is based on the lower earner ONLY, and does NOT take account of the higher earners income.
eg: 1 person can earn $250,000 and the other $4,000 py, and FBT-B is still available.
But if the lower earners income goes above $14,421 a year and the youngest child is between 5 and 18, then No FBT-B is available.

Old Apr 19th 2005, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by andrew63
Our youngest, 4 next week, goes to one of the ABCs locally and it is fantastic!
09:00 - 15:00 twice a week we pay $86/day
We are on temporary visas
They told us that upon proof of PR, that will go down to $44/day

Andrew
Crikey - they really are rorting you big time my friend. We pay $60 per day in Sydney for a 3 year old. We paid exactly the same when we were on a 457 ...with exactly the same ABC company. Our hours are 0800-1800.

I really cannot believe the same company can justify $86 a day for anybody in Queensland given the relative wage expectations of QLD in comparison to Sydney.

As we are just PR we have yet to receive a Centrelink rebate, but we'd be looking at the minimum 16% given our wages.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 5:46 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichS
Crikey - they really are rorting you big time my friend. We pay $60 per day in Sydney for a 3 year old. We paid exactly the same when we were on a 457 ...with exactly the same ABC company. Our hours are 0800-1800.

I really cannot believe the same company can justify $86 a day for anybody in Queensland given the relative wage expectations of QLD in comparison to Sydney.

As we are just PR we have yet to receive a Centrelink rebate, but we'd be looking at the minimum 16% given our wages.
Certainly feels that way!
I wonder if they are franchises with cart blanche to charge what they like or if there are rules about this somewhere.
I wil go back to them and mention that ABCs in Sydney make no additional charges to temps and see how far I get.
Nevertheless, still a great place.

Andrew
Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:12 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by andrew63
Certainly feels that way!
I wonder if they are franchises with cart blanche to charge what they like or if there are rules about this somewhere.
I wil go back to them and mention that ABCs in Sydney make no additional charges to temps and see how far I get.
Nevertheless, still a great place.

Andrew
Andrew
I just emailed our local one, (ABC Learning Centre) with this question:
Q: What are your centre charges for childcare, for aged 3. I'm not certain on all requirements, but an idea of your daily charges would be useful, if possible.

A: Hi there, our full fee for a 3yr old child is approx. $41 per day.

The main national web site says the cost is from $6 per day after benefits.

The maximum benefit is "Normally" about 85%, therefore that calculates the full fee at about $40.
They do seem to be ripping you off, i'd be checking it.

Last edited by ABCDiamond; Apr 19th 2005 at 6:41 am. Reason: added (ABC Learning Centre)

Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

Our 7 month old goes to Birkdale daycare (Brisbane Bayside) $48 per day then we get a centrelink rebate taking it down to around $37.

He loves it and I love the break !

V

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.