Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

AARRGGHH!! Estate Agents!

AARRGGHH!! Estate Agents!

Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:43 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default AARRGGHH!! Estate Agents!

I swear there is no rhyme or reason to them!

Had one out yesterday who valued the house at what we thought was the price, very positive, throughly nice lady.......

Today had a different one round a bloke this time.....
He criticised all the rooms that weren't finished (we are decorating at the moment), he criticised the garden (okay its not in the best of states), he criticised the fact we have a back boiler...... etc etc etc and then valued it as £13K LESS than the first estate agent!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:55 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AARRGGHH!! Estate Agents!

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy

Had one out yesterday who valued the house at what we thought was the price, very positive, throughly nice lady.......

He criticised all the rooms that weren't finished (we are decorating at the moment), he criticised the garden (okay its not in the best of states), he criticised the fact we have a back boiler...... etc etc etc and then valued it as £13K LESS than the first estate agent!!!!!!!!!!

We had 5 agents round in the end and there valuations and attitudes were all totally different upto £30.000 we told them all we were moving into parents house which will be ready in April as they were moving abroad (didnt want to mention Oz) 2 of which told us not to put it on till after xmas as will sell pretty quick the others were pretty negative!!

We went with the highest valuation had 3 viewings Sat sold yesterday only £5 grand under asking !!

I think in reality you know what your house is worth by looking at others iin your area so id say go with what feels right!! Same with the agent ours actually seemed pretty honest( If one exists)

Not much help sorry!!

good Luck

Kris xx
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

wish i could help mate but as you know we have been on the market since last july so whatever we do just do the opposite and you should be ok
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:04 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light

Have a look on this web site...www.ourproperty.co.uk and see what houses in your area have been going for..

Our first valuation from a so called Estate agent was for £155,000...we practically threw him out of the house on his arse...the next valuation was for £170,000 and then £ 180,000.
We did some research on the web site and in local papers then put the house on the market for £200,000 and it sold within 3 weeks after loads of viewings...
So don't take the estate agents advice as the defindefinitiveer..
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:21 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CORKER
Have a look on this web site...www.ourproperty.co.uk and see what houses in your area have been going for..

Our first valuation from a so called Estate agent was for £155,000...we practically threw him out of the house on his arse...the next valuation was for £170,000 and then £ 180,000.
We did some research on the web site and in local papers then put the house on the market for £200,000 and it sold within 3 weeks after loads of viewings...
So don't take the estate agents advice as the defindefinitiveer..
there is only 1 house on there on my estate for 2004 then 2 for 2002...... thanx
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

we had valuations 50k apart between agents, then the agent we chose used the crappiest photos they came and took themselves done in a rush and we later realised didn't include any relating to the best features of the property. When we saw what they put up on the net and in ads and friends told us it looked dismal, we re-wrote the ad ourselves and substituted photos we thought reflected the best features and got viewings immediately.
No offers yet, but I think I'll give them the boot, obviously can do better ourselves with regard to these particular agents.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Know what you mean, we had one last friday told us a price that is £45k less than all the other houses within a 1/2 mile radius of ours. When he said the price I actually laughed! then he said well we could advertise it for an extra £20k then drop if you need to. I told him where to go and have another valuer booked in for this Friday.

It'ds not like our house is in the higher end of the market as it's only an ex-council house on the edge of an estate, so £45k is more than my mortgage!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 9:31 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by WendyC
Know what you mean, we had one last friday told us a price that is £45k less than all the other houses within a 1/2 mile radius of ours. When he said the price I actually laughed! then he said well we could advertise it for an extra £20k then drop if you need to. I told him where to go and have another valuer booked in for this Friday.

It'ds not like our house is in the higher end of the market as it's only an ex-council house on the edge of an estate, so £45k is more than my mortgage!
SNAP! Ours is a 2 bed Semi (ex-council).... £13K is a lot of £ to us....... but £45! That is more than our mortgage too! We have had an offer but I told them to get stuffed....... they offered £24K less than our asking price!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

SNAP! Ours is a 2 bed Semi (ex-council).... £13K is a lot of £ to us....... but £45! That is more than our mortgage too! We have had an offer but I told them to get stuffed....... they offered £24K less than our asking price!
Well I've been looking round at all the houses by me and the only thing you can get for £75k (the price he said our's was worth) is a 2 bed terrace with a downstairs (cellar) kitchen and no central heating, ours has 3 beds, all mod cons, brand new fitted kitchen less than 1 year old with dishwasher, washer, cooker and waste disposal unit (cost £15k). All the rest are similar to ours and selling for £110k within a fortnight!

I'll be happy to settle for £95k which will give us £50k for Oz and pay all agents fees etc.

Got me thinking he had a mate who he wanted to sell it to, as I know his happens!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:18 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Originally Posted by WendyC
Well I've been looking round at all the houses by me and the only thing you can get for £75k (the price he said our's was worth) is a 2 bed terrace with a downstairs (cellar) kitchen and no central heating, ours has 3 beds, all mod cons, brand new fitted kitchen less than 1 year old with dishwasher, washer, cooker and waste disposal unit (cost £15k). All the rest are similar to ours and selling for £110k within a fortnight!

I'll be happy to settle for £95k which will give us £50k for Oz and pay all agents fees etc.

Got me thinking he had a mate who he wanted to sell it to, as I know his happens!
Well out next door neighbours is up for £109K and has been up for sale for 9/10 mths - one down the street is up for £96K - think we will prob put ours up for £91K but accept £89K for a 30 day completion. Ours needs a bit of cosmetic work doing so hence the lower price.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well out next door neighbours is up for £109K and has been up for sale for 9/10 mths - one down the street is up for £96K - think we will prob put ours up for £91K but accept £89K for a 30 day completion. Ours needs a bit of cosmetic work doing so hence the lower price.
I'm getting to the stage where I don't care anymore, just want to get out of here.

I will see what the other agent say's on Friday and just go for it I think. I picked them cos they have five or six for sale round about so should hopefully have more of an idea.

All I want is a fair price, but I'm not giving it away.