Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aargh- can't get broadband internet!!

Aargh- can't get broadband internet!!

Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:35 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aargh- can't get broadband internet!!

Originally Posted by comet555
Does anyone know what happens if you have a 2 year contract (I'm with Bigpond) and you move to a new house and can't get it?

We'll only be 4 months into our contract when we move to our new house. I've been told I can get broadband but from what I've read I don't really trust them. So.....what happens if I move and I can't get broadband there?
Your best chances are with bigpond as they tend to tell other ISP that there are no ports available if you're on their ADSL 1 kit.

You can get the port availability for each DA from telstra, but it or miss whether you'll get one. You could also be behind a rim/mux with limited ports too.

Whirlpool forums should give you any info you need

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum.cfm
Old Aug 13th 2007, 2:26 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

If you get stuck you could give virgin broad band a go.

Originally Posted by datamile
Your best chances are with bigpond as they tend to tell other ISP that there are no ports available if you're on their ADSL 1 kit.

You can get the port availability for each DA from telstra, but it or miss whether you'll get one. You could also be behind a rim/mux with limited ports too.

Whirlpool forums should give you any info you need

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum.cfm
Old Aug 13th 2007, 2:29 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

True, I remember the hoops I had to jump though ISDN -> ADSL and had to use Bigpond otherwise I would have had to go onto dial up for a few weeks and i needed it for work.

I still terminated my bigpond contract early and went with someone else because this worked out cheaper even with the large termination fees.

Originally Posted by temptininnit
Buuuuut, in the time it takes you to apply, get rejected then reapply with Telstra someone else nabs ur port. It's just not worth the risk when four houses are all sold in out DA number.

I got a 12 month contract.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:56 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

We signed up with AAPT a couple of weeks ago and waited for our modem to be delivered. After two weeks it hadn't arrived so I called them.

After lots of typing from the guy on the other end of the phone he told me that I had been sent a letter explaining that the exchange near us had no more available ports and I would not be able to get a broadband connection unless Telstra upgraded the exchange.

Wireless is VERY expensive so my only other option is dialup I think.

Is there a solution to this???

I asked if there was a queue for the ports so I would eventually get one but the guy on the phone said no. I am connectiong on a very weak unsecured signal from one of my neighbors at the moment.

Your help would be very appreciated,

We're in Pac Pines
Hi

We have the same problem and I totally understand your frustration!! We moved house 6 weeks ago and in that time have had dial up, then we went onto wireless broadband and have recently been told they are updating the exchange in October and we can get ADSL. I'll believe it when I see it though. We both work from home so we had to get wireless broadband but it's so expensive and for $89 per month we could only download 1gb. We didn't realise how much we actually download until we got to our maximum in about 10 days! We then looked into ISDN and had it ordered until we were told that we can get ADSL in October. For the wireless broadband we also had to send off for some special area ($200) which is good for houses of our position, we are in a bit of a dip. It's intermittent and sometimes we lose signal but it's workable. I'm soooo much looking forward to getting ADSL. We take these things for granted back in the UK. Good luck!!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 8:39 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SJR
Hi

We have the same problem and I totally understand your frustration!! We moved house 6 weeks ago and in that time have had dial up, then we went onto wireless broadband and have recently been told they are updating the exchange in October and we can get ADSL. I'll believe it when I see it though. We both work from home so we had to get wireless broadband but it's so expensive and for $89 per month we could only download 1gb. We didn't realise how much we actually download until we got to our maximum in about 10 days! We then looked into ISDN and had it ordered until we were told that we can get ADSL in October. For the wireless broadband we also had to send off for some special area ($200) which is good for houses of our position, we are in a bit of a dip. It's intermittent and sometimes we lose signal but it's workable. I'm soooo much looking forward to getting ADSL. We take these things for granted back in the UK. Good luck!!
I've moved to Parklakes in Maudsland now and I've got ADSL.

Such a relief.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:05 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheRutters
Corlette, Port Stephens 2315

It's a new house and the exchange is enabled, but it looks like house termination is too far from the local junction or exchange
Are you trying to get BB through Telstra or another ISP?
Old Aug 20th 2007, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

TheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really niceTheRutters is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wol
Are you trying to get BB through Telstra or another ISP?
Through Telstra. It finally turns out that it isn't a line issue, but there are no spare switches in the local exchange
Old Aug 20th 2007, 5:58 am
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TheRutters
Through Telstra. It finally turns out that it isn't a line issue, but there are no spare switches in the local exchange
Also known as ports.

Your only course of action is to re-apply and hope to get a recently vacated port or wait for an exchange upgrade.
Old Aug 20th 2007, 6:07 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Also known as ports.

Your only course of action is to re-apply and hope to get a recently vacated port or wait for an exchange upgrade.
Just reapply every week. You might get a free port then.

If you're really bored then you can check the telstra port reports, but they are weekly I think.

http://www.telstrawholesale.com/prod...nd_reports.htm