Reload this Page >

AACA Stage 1 & 2

AACA Stage 1 & 2

Old Mar 1st 2016, 5:41 am
Just Joined

KongIsland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AACA Stage 1 & 2

Hello architects,

I cleared the stage 1 of skill assessment by AACA and also received my grant a few weeks back. I have a few questions regarding the next steps, to the people who have cleared the stage 1 only or have cleared stage 1 and 2 and are working in Australia as Architects or any other posts related to architecture (architectural assistant or graduate architect or junior architect, architectural designers)

1) I would like to know if anybody here has completed the Overseas Qualifications Assessment Stage 2? Is there a time limit within which one has to get the Overseas Qualifications Assessment Stage 2 completed?

2) Can one seek job as architectural assistant or graduate architect or junior architect, architectural designers? till the time one decides to apply to stage 2 or when the Overseas Qualifications Assessment Stage 2 in being processed ? AACA stage 1 assessment certificate clearly states that one cannot use the title Architect till he/she registers as an architect which can happen only after clearing the Overseas Qualifications Assessment Stage 2.

3) What happens when one cannot clear the Overseas Qualifications Assessment Stage 2? Is the candidate asked to take up internship or training and then asked to reapply?

4) What is the job scene like for architects, designers in Sydney, Melbourne etc?

I'd like to hear from architects or people in the construction industry who have been through this process.

Last edited by KongIsland; Mar 1st 2016 at 7:20 am.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Default Re: AACA Stage 1 & 2

Old Mar 9th 2016, 11:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KongIsland
If no one's replied, it's because no one can answer your questions.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
If no one's replied, it's because no one can answer your questions.
Thank you for your message and the smiley.

Probably a bad idea for architects to migrate to Australia.

I guess I should have asked these questions before spending on the whole process.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 2:16 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I should have asked these questions before spending on the whole process.
Can't help with the job prospects, but have you thought of asking whoever did the skills assessment about what happens with the stage 2 part? Most of the assessing bodies are very helpful
Old Mar 9th 2016, 3:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We have had architects on here in the past but I can't think of anyone at present. Maybe try google and see if you can find an architects forum? Or try looking for a professional body for architects in Australia?
Old Mar 9th 2016, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Can't help with the job prospects, but have you thought of asking whoever did the skills assessment about what happens with the stage 2 part? Most of the assessing bodies are very helpful
Thank you for your advice. Yes I have thought about emailing them. I can't register till I get trained and to train means I have to start from bottom up. Salaries will be low too, less than what I am currently earning. Maybe I am wrong about salaries, I am not sure. Doing all my research now after getting a grant. I feel stupid.

Last edited by KongIsland; Mar 9th 2016 at 5:11 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We have had architects on here in the past but I can't think of anyone at present. Maybe try google and see if you can find an architects forum? Or try looking for a professional body for architects in Australia?
Thank you for your comments and advice.

Yes. I found some posts from architects here on BE. They have not logged in for ages. I did try sending them private msgs after having no response to my posts here but no response yet.

I found some other expat forums, but none seem to have architects in there, only draftsman or project managers etc who don't know anything about architects.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

No help but.... my husband is an architect (UK qualified) though we got our visas using my skills. He hasn't worked as such since we arrived last year though. When he looked into joining AACA some years ago, they wanted to assess his degree project dating back to the early 1980's and seemed to have no interest in the quality of what he had done in the subsequent 30+ years. He decided not to bother joining.

We did live here in the late 1980's and he worked as an architect. Whilst he could not call himself an architect, he had no difficulty getting a job as architectural practices understood that the UK qualification was at least equivalent to the Australian one. So whilst you might not be able to give yourself the title architect, I don't believe there's anything to stop you seeking employment carrying out the role. It worked the same in reverse in the UK - he had Australian colleagues who worked as architects but could not call themselves such as they were only Aussie-qualified.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 2:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your comments and advice.

Yes. I found some posts from architects here on BE. They have not logged in for ages. I did try sending them private msgs after having no response to my posts here but no response yet.

I found some other expat forums, but none seem to have architects in there, only draftsman or project managers etc who don't know anything about architects.
I wasn't thinking necessarily of an expat forum, but just a forum or group for architects - there must be a facebook group or something like that, I found this on goggle for instance All Discussions | Forum | Archinect
Someone in a professional group like that may be able to help.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 4:47 am
Just Joined

BensonHedge is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am an architect, qualified and registered in the UK (ARB/RIBA). I have been living and working in Perth for the last 5 years. I work for a very large and very well regarded international practice at Associate level. Prefer not to name them as I am only here in a personal capacity.

1) I have still not been through stage 2 of the AACA process - I have had it on the to-do list for years but have never needed to. "Architect" is a protected title, not a protected function, so you can do the job as an employee without being registered (provided you are competent and your prospective employer can see that).

2) See answer to 1. If you do not officially call yourself an architect then you are OK. You might have to be called a "Designer" or such like. Ultimately if you wanted to work for yourself you would have to go through stage 2, following which you also have to go through the professional practice examination process. Last June the AACA did change the rules on the stage 2 process you can now produce a portfolio or student and/or professional work, rather than having to choose strictly student or strictly professional route. I note they have now introduced an overseas architect assessment program to fast track architects at an "Executive Level", thus bypassing stage 2 altogether. I imagine you would have to be fairly senior for this route

3) This is a misunderstanding of the process - see items 1 and 2

4) There has been a huge boom in apartment building in particular all over Oz (mostly for overseas buyers) and in Melbourne and Sydney it is still running, though slowing, so you will probably find there is work there. It really depends on your skills and experience. For how long it will last I do not know, I think the whole rotten edifice will come crashing down in the next couple of years, but I am cynical and pessimistic by default! Perth for sure is on the way into the doldrums and will be a wasteland for architects within the next 12 months.

Cheers
Old Mar 10th 2016, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

All the architects I do work for (I'm not an architect) are booming. Sydney mainly. Just like the profession all over the planet some architects are just rubbish and some are good. All have no business nouse whatsoever and end up spending more than they should on useless software and useless staff to drive the stuff yet they all complain they cannot find good staff.

So what does that means to you. Australia is rosey. Whilst Garry's automation issue (do a search) will never hit architects. The more tech they use the more staff they employ. And Australian architects love tech.

One thing to bear in mind. If you fancy yourself as a "designer" Australia is not the place for you. The architecture is appalling. Stick to the London designer firms if you want to design.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 7:49 am
Just Joined

BensonHedge is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beoz
All the architects I do work for (I'm not an architect) are booming. Sydney mainly. Just like the profession all over the planet some architects are just rubbish and some are good. All have no business nouse whatsoever and end up spending more than they should on useless software and useless staff to drive the stuff yet they all complain they cannot find good staff.

So what does that means to you. Australia is rosey. Whilst Garry's automation issue (do a search) will never hit architects. The more tech they use the more staff they employ. And Australian architects love tech.

One thing to bear in mind. If you fancy yourself as a "designer" Australia is not the place for you. The architecture is appalling. Stick to the London designer firms if you want to design.
The first point is mostly correct, as is the second (be a Revit expert, it helps )

The last point is a subjective generalisation. Like everywhere, there is good and bad. I studied and worked in London for 15 years and there is plenty of appalling design there too, although on balance I guess Europe as a whole is ahead. It is certainly very developer-led here which means price over quality all too often, but there are still some great architects producing some very good work. Quality of building construction and attitude to sustainability though, oh dear...
Old Mar 10th 2016, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BensonHedge
The first point is mostly correct, as is the second (be a Revit expert, it helps )

The last point is a subjective generalisation. Like everywhere, there is good and bad. I studied and worked in London for 15 years and there is plenty of appalling design there too, although on balance I guess Europe as a whole is ahead. It is certainly very developer-led here which means price over quality all too often, but there are still some great architects producing some very good work. Quality of building construction and attitude to sustainability though, oh dear...
.... and you just dropped the brand name which is preventing Architects making more money. If Architects had the nuts, they wouldn't waste so much time and energy using Revit just because the contractor says so. Nor have the amount of staff required to run it. On top of that there are so many other applications in the market that are better design and documentation tools. You wouldn't believe the analyses I've done about the poor return on investment using that kit, only for them to say "we have to use it"

Yep I take your point on the developer led design in Australia. Even when an international design architect is called in to give an "international design" the end result is poor. See Barrangaroo.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:05 am
Just Joined

So much has happened since the last time I logged in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.