Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aaaaggggggg!!!!!

Aaaaggggggg!!!!!

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

Sujy will become famous soon enoughSujy will become famous soon enough
Default Aaaaggggggg!!!!!

Somebody remind me why we are putting ourselves through this. We are at the final stage of packing up and everything that can go wrong is going wrong. House sale taking forever - means we are constantly putting our date back. Problems finding a decent shipping company and still haven't a clue where to live in Melbourne when we get there.

Need positive stories from people who have done it please!!!!

Need a dose of valium or alcohol to calm myself!!!!!

Help!!!!!

Sujy
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:00 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aaaaggggggg!!!!!

Originally Posted by Sujy
Somebody remind me why we are putting ourselves through this. We are at the final stage of packing up and everything that can go wrong is going wrong. House sale taking forever - means we are constantly putting our date back. Problems finding a decent shipping company and still haven't a clue where to live in Melbourne when we get there.

Help!!!!!

Sujy
Use PSS , they were brilliant shippers. Just MOVE !!

If you dont do it now, you never will

Most of us have had our fair share of hiccups ballsups and $££*
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 12:10 pm

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Help!!!!!

Sujy
All I can offer you is the fact that I love Melbourne. I'm in Williamstown which may not be the most desirable suburb (it's very desirable for rich people, but it's a bit sleepy) for expats but it blends enough cafe life to keep me happy, a friendly easy atmosphere and a gret public transport system which gets me to the CBD in 15 minutes. The stress I felt in England has left me and I'm just getting on with life (it's not perfect here) in a place which feels more like home to me than the UK did for quite a while.

It may not be the same for everyone, but if you don't try, you'll never know.

Good luck with everything and come to a meet when you get here

Carl
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info. Quite a few people have mentioned Williamstown recently. I quite liked the area when I visited, though I concentrated my search mainly around the eastern suburbs. We have an 18 year old daughter, so 15 mins into the CBD would be an ideal commute. Definately worth considering. the area needs to be suitable for our 11 year old son as well.

Are meets held often and are newbies welcome? That would be great.

Thanks again for the help....appreciate it!

Sujy
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the shipping info. What does PSS stand for? Thanks for the encouragement, needed it yesterday. Today back to positive.

Thanks

Sujy
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Newbies are always welcome. Just say hello mate and they will think that they have met you before! Ohh you may sound posh to the oldies though

As for suburbs to live in. Rent a place near to where you will be searching for work and within a few months you will get an idea of where you wish to live.. for us it's with the natives
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:33 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the info. Quite a few people have mentioned Williamstown recently. I quite liked the area when I visited, though I concentrated my search mainly around the eastern suburbs. We have an 18 year old daughter, so 15 mins into the CBD would be an ideal commute. Definately worth considering. the area needs to be suitable for our 11 year old son as well.

Sujy
Meetings are held approx every 3 months but so many people spread out now it will probably be meetings for differant areas soon ie South East, Mornington & West Melbourne. Newbies are always welcome.
Some are just to shy to come along, aren't they Woody.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
Meetings are held approx every 3 months but so many people spread out now it will probably be meetings for differant areas soon ie South East, Mornington & West Melbourne. Newbies are always welcome.
Some are just to shy to come along, aren't they Woody.
Maybe I do but I do it in secret and spy on you all

Promise to come to the next one ohh heck I'm hosting it right :scared:
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I can't help you with shippes, we're sending boxes only with Sevenseas. We're heading to Melbourne and will be renting around Black Rock until we get sorted. Why don't you take a holiday let until you know where you will want to rent? Good luck with you plans. What date to you land?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:51 am

fireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nicefireeater is just really nice

Sujy
I don't have kids so don't feel qualified to talk about what's suitable for an 11 year old. Depends what he's into really. Much of the west is safe so you wouldn't have to worry about him, and there are some ok schools over here...Williamstown Grammar is good. Then there's plenty of sports here (as there is all over Melbourne), decent bayside and beach walks and plenty of events happening around the western suburbs. I reckon Melbourne is much the same all over for livability for a family, as long as you're in a sleepy suburb. Doesn't matter whether you're west, east or north. A lot will depend on where you're working as to where you live. I'm sure you're children will fit in wherever that may be
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Really liked Black Rock when I visited, spent a long time in the sun on the park there with my son.

We should arrive mid - late October. The date has been pushed back a few times due to the slowness of our house sale.

At the moment we seem likely to live in Berwick, which is 40km from Melbourne. I really liked the feel of the place and it has good schools.

Then again our plans seem to change every couple of days, so by this time next week we could be moving to Brisbane

Sujy
Old Aug 24th 2005, 1:53 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Maybe I do but I do it in secret and spy on you all

Promise to come to the next one ohh heck I'm hosting it right :scared:
I bloody know who you are now, you sly old dog
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hevs
I bloody know who you are now, you sly old dog
Thought that I would sneak back in secretively now I am a lady of leisure
Am shocked to find spell checks and karma mind
Old Aug 24th 2005, 2:11 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Thought that I would sneak back in secretively now I am a lady of leisure
Am shocked to find spell checks and karma mind
You could have told me earlier i spent hours lookin for the thread