Wikiposts

9 mths in, heres our story, hope it helps

Old May 2nd 2005, 3:10 am
Dee & Steve

Dee & Steve will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 9 mths in, heres our story, hope it helps

Originally Posted by Simone
Great post!!

May I be so rude to ask the price range the house you bought in Innaloo... Under 300.000, 300-400 or more?
Sorry, just really curious, living in Mount Hawthorn at the moment, but no way we can afford to buy here(or anywhere around here)... Haven't actually looked at Innaloo, though quite sure it's above our budget, but, yeah, just wondering!!

Good luck with more settling!!

Btw, there's going to be a meetup in King's Park on the 15th.... there's a thread somewhere!
Thanks, I saw that thread about the meet, its actually the day of my birthday, plus we fly home on hols the next day, so if I'm not buried in a mountain of clothes & packing & unpacking for the hundreth time , we might try & pop up there
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:16 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dee & Steve
Thanks, I saw that thread about the meet, its actually the day of my birthday, plus we fly home on hols the next day, so if I'm not buried in a mountain of clothes & packing & unpacking for the hundreth time , we might try & pop up there
Yeah, you should!
I was still debating to go or not, but the decision has been taken out of my hands, we have a day out with Pascal's work, in the Swan Valley!!

Btw, what I forgot to say: I definetly see Innaloo as an upcoming area, because it's a bit cheaper than a few other surrounding area's, so it has a lot of potential I think! Like Scarborough being refurbished or whatever.

Oh, and Innaloo shopping centre is also getting bigger, though I think it's mainly Coles and Target expanding, there'll be some new smaller shops too. And hopefully they'll make that whole area nicer too one day(where the cheesecake shop is, and blockbuster etc. There's a few empty shops there too and stuff, they could do a lot with that area!

Old May 2nd 2005, 3:19 am
Dee & Steve

Yeah, we used to make jokes about Inaloo all the time when I was little! Now I go shopping there every week!

Yep, it is a bit less expensive than Mount Hawthorn. From location, you'd think Innaloo would be, because closer to the beach, but Mount Hawthorn is a bit nicer, little cute colourfull houses etc, I guess a bit more 'upmarket' whatever that really means. But yeah, not affordable(and unfortunetly even Innaloo isn't for us... ) We should never have rented here, we're spoilt now (probably going to buy in Thornlie (southeast area)).

Anyway, great post from you again!

Have a good holiday in the UK!!
I'm sure I'd have a lovely holiday in the U.K if I was going there, but I'm not I"m IRISH, dont worry, lots of people here think I'm either, English, Irish or Scottish, & some people think all 3 are the same, thats when I ask them are they from New Zealand, but thank you all the same, we are really looking forward to it, especially as one of my sisters has just had a baby.
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:26 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure I'd have a lovely holiday in the U.K if I was going there, but I'm not I"m IRISH, dont worry, lots of people here think I'm either, English, Irish or Scottish, & some people think all 3 are the same, thats when I ask them are they from New Zealand, but thank you all the same, we are really looking forward to it, especially as one of my sisters has just had a baby.
he he, oops!!!
I've just recently learned the difference between England/UK/Great Britain, so please forgive me! And I just hadn't paid attention to the Irish bit!

I also can't hear the different accents, though maybe I'll get better now I have a few English and Scottish friends(the scottish I sometimes have trouble understanding Actually, even the English I sometimes have to listen really carefully )

Right, better go to bed now. It's funny you live just down the road, 5mins probably!
Oh! Argh! If you're leaving on the 15th, that also means you won't be here for the girls night out in Subi on the 21st! Well, we'll have more nights out, if you're interested

seeya!
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:33 am
Dee & Steve

Yeah, we used to make jokes about Inaloo all the time when I was little! Now I go shopping there every week!

Yep, it is a bit less expensive than Mount Hawthorn. From location, you'd think Innaloo would be, because closer to the beach, but Mount Hawthorn is a bit nicer, little cute colourfull houses etc, I guess a bit more 'upmarket' whatever that really means. But yeah, not affordable(and unfortunetly even Innaloo isn't for us... ) We should never have rented here, we're spoilt now (probably going to buy in Thornlie (southeast area)).

Anyway, great post from you again!

Have a good holiday in the UK!!
I know what you mean about being spoilt, we were renting for the last 7 months in Subiaco, close to everthing & it is a great spot, but buying a house there, I dont think so, maybe someday.So it is a little hard to move to somehwere like Innaloo thats nothing like Subi, although Subi is a bit of a one off here compared to most suburbs. But you are right, the Innaloo westfield is nothing to get excited about, but apparantly they are investing a bit of money into it, the good thing is that I can walk to Karrinyup shopping centre in 15 mins, a few minutes in the car, or the bus goes right into it, & that has everything in it, I just discovered Big W last week, its great shop for odds & ends, & also has alot of stuff there that is cheaper than Bunnings, ( DIY & garden stuff) & the supermarket, coffee, crisps, soft drinks, washing powder etc.
Old May 2nd 2005, 3:39 am
Dee & Steve

he he, oops!!!
I've just recently learned the difference between England/UK/Great Britain, so please forgive me! And I just hadn't paid attention to the Irish bit!

I also can't hear the different accents, though maybe I'll get better now I have a few English and Scottish friends(the scottish I sometimes have trouble understanding Actually, even the English I sometimes have to listen really carefully )

Right, better go to bed now. It's funny you live just down the road, 5mins probably!
Oh! Argh! If you're leaving on the 15th, that also means you won't be here for the girls night out in Subi on the 21st! Well, we'll have more nights out, if you're interested

seeya!
Dont worry, sometimes we cant understand ourselves! Its a pity I will miss out on the girls night out but keep me posted if anymore come up as it would be nice to get to know a few more people, ( well so far I know only one person, how sad, the girls at work are too young & I'm their manager so they dont exactly want to spend their sat night with me) I'm off to bed too, although its my day off tomorrow so I get to stay up a bit late!!
Old May 2nd 2005, 2:11 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Dont worry, sometimes we cant understand ourselves! Its a pity I will miss out on the girls night out but keep me posted if anymore come up as it would be nice to get to know a few more people, ( well so far I know only one person, how sad, the girls at work are too young & I'm their manager so they dont exactly want to spend their sat night with me) I'm off to bed too, although its my day off tomorrow so I get to stay up a bit late!!
Will do, just keep logging on

Yep, I sometimes go to Karrinyup too, and yeah, Big W is great!
My favourite though is Target, for clothes! Much, much better than Kmart and Big W (for clothes).

Subi's nice, I agree. Pascal works there, taked him 20 minutes on the bike from our house. That's another thing where we're spoilt. When we move, he'll have about an hours travel, by public transport! Ah well, can't have everything! We hadn't expected to be able to buy so soon in the first place! So that's great!
Am actually sometimes still thinking we should keep saving for a while, have a bigger deposit and be able to buy a bit closer to the city(like Innaloo!), but then we'd have a bigger mortgage too, and I don't really want a really big(or 30 year) one! .... :scared: Decisions, decisions...
Old May 3rd 2005, 4:35 am
Margie

Margie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura about

I dont have any direct info on those areas but they are alright as far as I know, one of my sisters is thinking of coming here with her husband & 2 young children, & as I said to her, I think your children will thank you, it is a greta palce for children, I dont have any myself ( the greta debate, will we or wont we??), but Oz, and I must say Perth in particualr seems to be a great place to bring up children, if you have been given an opportunity to come here, personally I would say take it, but each to their own & you need to make your choice for the right reasons, but I love Australia, even though we are struggling a bit to settle, although things are much better since we bought our own house. Once I make a few freinds ( which isnt always easy), I think we will totally settle. Good Luck... Deirdre
Hi Deirdre,

Thanks for your posting, I am coming over on the 12th August with my young family ( that includes Hubby). We booked flights and 4 night stop over in Dubai yesterday. House sold school notified and all that remains is to resign my job in July. Now it is all very real and quite scary. I have lived in Scotland all my life andthis is a mega step!

Your comments make great sense. You need to keep an open mind and embrace the new culture and ways, without too much comparison to the "old country".

I am an Admin Officer in the Gov't here and I'm taking the European Computer Driving Licence Exams at present to update my IT skills. I hope to get a job quickly!
We want to live Hillary's area- so any knowledge or advice welcome.
I love having loads of friends, so this is a big thing for me, so I was glad to hear Perth is so friendly!

Thanks again.
Maybe catch up with you - who knows!

Margie
Old May 3rd 2005, 5:11 am
Just Joined

lizziefar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi :scared:

We arrive in Perth on 28th July and I am starting to feel petrified. :scared: .......asking myself questions such as why did I start all of this, will we fit in, will we make friends, will I be able to do my job,(I have been at it for 18yrs in the UK!!), will hubby find a job, where will we live, will we like it..... I presume everyone goes through this at some point...don't they?

It would help if we could sell the house, as we have the problem of leaving it unsold and all the problems that involves.

Anyway posts like this help, thanks for taking the time.
Old May 3rd 2005, 6:11 am
Margie

Margie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lizziefar
Hi :scared:

We arrive in Perth on 28th July and I am starting to feel petrified. :scared: .......asking myself questions such as why did I start all of this, will we fit in, will we make friends, will I be able to do my job,(I have been at it for 18yrs in the UK!!), will hubby find a job, where will we live, will we like it..... I presume everyone goes through this at some point...don't they?

It would help if we could sell the house, as we have the problem of leaving it unsold and all the problems that involves.

Anyway posts like this help, thanks for taking the time.
Hi Lizziefar,

Where are you moving from?

The house market here has slowed, but we were lucky I guess. Don't despair things usually work out for the best.

Have u been in perth before?

Everything u say makes sense ( to me in the same boat), I lay awake half the night last night ,after booking flights, thinking "Oh my, can't change my mind now, have I done the right thing? What happens if we don't get jobs? Money we have is for a house not long term survival. :scared:
Feel better now having read some threads and realised these are normal thoughts, plus most posts are positive.

Go for it! If I can anyone can!!!
Keep posting and we'll compare notes!

Margie
Old May 3rd 2005, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for this post. Its good to hear from someone who has done the move, including all the good and bad points they have gone through.
Old May 3rd 2005, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Dee & Steve]Hi, we have been in Perth 9 months now & I thought it might be of help to some of you if we gave you some info on life in Perth to date. We actually were registered on this site previously but when I went to log on again it didnt seem to remember us as we havent logged on for about 11 months now, prior to that I was quite addicted to this site & always found the info extremely helpful, so hopefully my info will be helpful to someone else.......

Hey there Dee and Steve

Glad to hear that things are going okay for you. Things do take time to settle. Both of us were born in the UK and then our parents immigrated to South Africa, and we decided to come back 8 years ago. We thought as we were british it would be plain sailing - it has been far from that. After 8 years of struggling, we realise that we miss the social life we had, the laid back attitude of the south africans and that the UK doesn't quite offer what we had hoped for for our kids. We think 8 years is long enough now and since the political situation in South Africa hasn't improved, we are off to Australia. My sister-in-law is based in Melbourne and I noted you said that you didn't want to go back there. I am interested as to what it was that you didn't like.

Keep smiling and be happy

Sarah & Dave
Old May 3rd 2005, 11:35 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Thanks Dee & Steve for the great post(s).

There`s a great Irish pub in Fremantle btw... can`t remember the name of it atm.
Old May 4th 2005, 4:16 am
Just Joined

lizziefar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Margie

Thanks for your reply, we are from Shropshire, looking to locate around Rockingham, Me, hubby and 9 year old son.
I'm sure everyone goes through the rollercoaster of emotions and there is "no going back"..too much time, money, effort and worry invested already. I'm sure we will be OK...its just......you know what I mean
Old May 4th 2005, 5:27 am
Margie

Originally Posted by lizziefar
Hi Margie

Thanks for your reply, we are from Shropshire, looking to locate around Rockingham, Me, hubby and 9 year old son.
I'm sure everyone goes through the rollercoaster of emotions and there is "no going back"..too much time, money, effort and worry invested already. I'm sure we will be OK...its just......you know what I mean
Hi Lizzie,

Good to hear from you!

Rockingham is beautiful

We took a trip from there last year and swam with the dolphins - AMAZING!!

I plan to take Rachel, our eldest aged 9, to do it around Christmas time.

You sound so like me at present - horrible feelings I know. I'm leaving my 83 year old mum (I was a late baby) and am taking her 2 granddaughters away. The guilt is all consuming at times, but we have a life to live and she says were she in our shoes in this country she'd do the same thing!

We have my husband's brother and his family, although they are a bit older, in central Perth, so at least that gets us started.

What inspired you guys to move? With us it was Jeff my other half, he'd travelled in his student days and had a passion with Oz ever since! Me, I went with him to see if I'd like it last year and didn't want to come back to the UK. Although now it is so real the doubts are creeping in.

I know I'll be OK once I'm on the plane, its just this inbetween bit

Are you having a going away party?

I need to arrange something soon, trouble is we clash with the school hols, trying to get a date to fit in with all friends and family will be tough. Has to be a disco, I love dancing, Jeff hates it , he's got 2 left feet

Well need to go, need to collect Hannah, 6yrs,up from her dancing class.

Speak soon
Margie