British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   9 months awaiting my Residency - Desperate to work (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/9-months-awaiting-my-residency-desperate-work-111562/)

Nicola Brennan Sep 18th 2002 12:43 am

9 months awaiting my Residency - Desperate to work

Please help - I have been awaiting my residency now for over 9months. I am unable to work as still on a visitor visa, luckily my husband has been supporting me but funds are running desperately low. My husband is Australian and we applied for my permanent residency in England and was told by our solicetor that we were not allowed to apply in Australia (had to be applied for in my home country). Due to the hold up, we've been told by immigration that they're still awaiting my police report from living in New York. We've been told that its in the FBI hands as strict check ups are being looked into, so now we could be awaiting forever. I would like to know if I'm entitled to a bridging visa or could I be sponsered as I have a future employer who would be more than happy to sponsor me for me to gain a working visa whilst awaiting for my residency. I really do not know what I'm entitled too, but I just want to start getting on with my life, instead of living in hope each day that my residency will be ready. We paid our solicetor a great deal of money to apply and cannot afford to go through the whole saga again. Please advice.

Alan Collett Sep 18th 2002 1:44 am

Re: 9 months awaiting my Residency - Desperate to work

Hello Nicola.

One way forward for you might be to apply for the 457-employer sponsored visa, given that you have an employer willing to sponsor you. Timescales for the grant of your visa will depend on whether your employer already has business sponsor status - by which time you might have your spouse visa of course.

Can't your agent find out the expected timescale for your US police report though the High Commission in London?

Best regards.

Originally posted by Nicola Brennan:
Please help - I have been awaiting my residency now for over 9months. I am unable to work as still on a visitor visa, luckily my husband has been supporting me but funds are running desperately low. My husband is Australian and we applied for my permanent residency in England and was told by our solicetor that we were not allowed to apply in Australia (had to be applied for in my home country). Due to the hold up, we've been told by immigration that they're still awaiting my police report from living in New York. We've been told that its in the FBI hands as strict check ups are being looked into, so now we could be awaiting forever. I would like to know if I'm entitled to a bridging visa or could I be sponsered as I have a future employer who would be more than happy to sponsor me for me to gain a working visa whilst awaiting for my residency. I really do not know what I'm entitled too, but I just want to start getting on with my life, instead of living in hope each day that my residency will be ready. We paid our solicetor a great deal of money to apply and cannot afford to go through the whole saga again. Please advice.

George Lombard Sep 18th 2002 10:55 am

Re: 9 months awaiting my Residency - Desperate to work

Hi Nicola,

If you are waiting on the NY or FBI police clearances on an offshore
application and are currently in Australia, Alan is right that you should
explore onshore application options. In your situation one option is to get
an employer to sponsor you; another is to get a student visa. Making
another permanent visa application onshore will be subject to the same
holdups as your offshore application, and whether you will get permission to
work on a bridging visa depends on uncertain discretionary issues decided at
the counter where you lodge the application, normally.

Cheers

George Lombard
--
www.austimmigration.com.au
"Nicola Brennan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:418253.1032309793@britishexpats-
.com
    > Please help - I have been awaiting my residency now for over 9months. I
    > am unable to work as still on a visitor visa, luckily my husband has
    > been supporting me but funds are running desperately low. My husband is
    > Australian and we applied for my permanent residency in England and was
    > told by our solicetor that we were not allowed to apply in Australia
    > (had to be applied for in my home country). Due to the hold up, we've
    > been told by immigration that they're still awaiting my police report
    > from living in New York. We've been told that its in the FBI hands as
    > strict check ups are being looked into, so now we could be awaiting
    > forever. I would like to know if I'm entitled to a bridging visa or
    > could I be sponsered as I have a future employer who would be more than
    > happy to sponsor me for me to gain a working visa whilst awaiting for my
    > residency. I really do not know what I'm entitled too, but I just want
    > to start getting on with my life, instead of living in hope each day
    > that my residency will be ready. We paid our solicetor a great deal of
    > money to apply and cannot afford to go through the whole saga again.
    > Please advice.
    > --
    > nikkiB
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com