Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

8 weeks to go, no idea where we are going!!!

8 weeks to go, no idea where we are going!!!

Old Jun 15th 2007, 8:58 am
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light
Default 8 weeks to go, no idea where we are going!!!

So, after all our careful planning and research, we had decided to move to Mountain Creek on Sunshine Coast. Children virtually enroled in school, in touch with real estate agents etc etc etc

My hubby has now been offered a job in either Melbourne or Sydney!!

Dont get me wrong, we are very pleased that he is in such a lucky position but now we are back at square one! Trawling through the internet looking at areas every night just like we were 12 months ago. I think we like the look of Templestowe and Eltham in Melbourne but are really struggling with Sydney as it is not somewhere we had even considered. Hubby's office would be near Parramatta so if anyone has any advice for us regarding surrounding areas that would be great.

MD coming over from Oz next week and hubby meeting him on Weds so we should know a bit more by then.

Am now off to stare at Victoria and NSW maps for the hundreth time.................
Old Jun 15th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 8 weeks to go, no idea where we are going!!!

If the job is in Parramatta you may prefer to live elsewhere and commute - I don't live there, but it's the impression I get from Sydney-dwelling friends.

Melbourne has a reputation for being more "European" in feel than other Australian cities, also more European climate - it doesn't get so boiling hot in summer and it does get cold in winter. They also say that you can get all four seasons in one day!

I'd like to go and visit Melbourne and see if all of that is true! Sadly I am more likely to end up in Sydney, which is brilliant I'm sure but it just seems to be where everyone is - Sydney, Perth or Gold Coast must account for about 90% of all ex-pats. I suppose there must be good reasons for that though!

If you haven't visited either then I'd guess there is just as much chance of you being happy in one or the other - or either. They both will have expensive areas, chavvy zones, (or 'bogan') CBDs, beach/harbour views, legoland suburbs, museums, concerts.....

Flip a coin!!
Old Jun 15th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

The best area close to Parramatta is definitely the Hills district. Don't bother looking to the south, west or immediate east of Parramatta for areas to live in. They're not the best suburbs. Hills district is to the north and north-west.

If you want to be nearer the city and beaches, checkout the upper North Shore but you'd have a longer commute to Parramatta from there.
Old Jun 15th 2007, 10:39 am
In Aus and loving it!

VikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of lightVikkiL is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the replies

At last, I have somewhere to start with Sydney!
Old Jun 15th 2007, 11:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

You will find my reccie report on Melbourne here -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413388

Buzzy
Old Jun 15th 2007, 11:25 am
In Aus and loving it!

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
Really useful, thanks
Old Jun 15th 2007, 11:51 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VikkiL
So, after all our careful planning and research, we had decided to move to Mountain Creek on Sunshine Coast. Children virtually enroled in school, in touch with real estate agents etc etc etc

My hubby has now been offered a job in either Melbourne or Sydney!!

Dont get me wrong, we are very pleased that he is in such a lucky position but now we are back at square one! Trawling through the internet looking at areas every night just like we were 12 months ago. I think we like the look of Templestowe and Eltham in Melbourne but are really struggling with Sydney as it is not somewhere we had even considered. Hubby's office would be near Parramatta so if anyone has any advice for us regarding surrounding areas that would be great.

MD coming over from Oz next week and hubby meeting him on Weds so we should know a bit more by then.

Am now off to stare at Victoria and NSW maps for the hundreth time.................
Manly, Newport, Bilgola, Balmain all nice in Sydney. Melbourne more cafe culture,arty Sydney more beach life/flashier and both great places
Old Jun 15th 2007, 12:40 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
you and that bloody reccie report Buzz

Lee
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Manly, Newport, Bilgola, Balmain all nice in Sydney. Melbourne more cafe culture,arty Sydney more beach life/flashier and both great places
Manly etc are great suburbs but miles from Parra region and you'd soon get tired of the commute (trust me on this!)

Agree that the Hills Northwest region is nicest close to Parra- I've lived and worked here for years and know the area very well. Feel free to ask as many questions as you want- depending on your needs, budget etc (renting? buying?) the property you get will vary. House rentals start from $350 per wk and prices from $480K for your average older 3 bedder house in Castle Hill and Baulkham Hills, for example.
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:00 pm
In Aus and loving it!

Hubby speaking to the possible employers tomorrow so hope to know a little more by the end of the week regarding area where we would need to be based etc.

Thanks again for advice so far, it has been a great help.