British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   !8 mths of being in Oz!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/8-mths-being-oz-451924/)

welsh lass May 25th 2007 5:51 am

Re: !8 mths of being in Oz!!

Hi Megansmummy,
Where about are you from in Wales (as you said that you are Welsh) I'm from Wales also.
We have been out here 3years now, all i can say that it will get easier for you to meet people & what with the Welsh being chatter boxes they will warm to you, I have found that they can be quite curious and are not afraid to ask straight out your bussniess.
If you want keep intouch with a fellow Welsh person feel free, i will be happy to converse:)
All the best Welshlass. ps. i'm normarly on the Britvic site.

allison May 25th 2007 6:08 am

Originally Posted by lol (Post 4824783)
Is there a ladies coffee meet in your area ?? if not you should start on up ?? would anyone be interested ??

A few of us meet up in the mooloolaba/maroochydore/coolum areas - vary the location each time. Anyone is welcome to join us with ot without kids- pm me.

megansmummy May 25th 2007 6:51 am

Originally Posted by binky (Post 4828683)
Yes, everyone in Australia is shallow.....:blink:

What do people mean when they say "them"? Do you mean the whole of Australia? Or just the few people you have met.

It's easy to blame a country or the people that live in that country when things don't go the way you've planned. But ask yourself the question if the same thing happened in the UK - would you say, "oh, it's because they're British". Personality overrules nationality if you ask me. I can't see how you can lump in 20 million people together.

Thanks antney. I will PM you later about this & thanks everyone else for advice

As in answer to the shallow bit, yes so far the people ive met are shallow & not loyal. Im not banding everyone the same & can only go on my experiences unfortunately

Of course ive had bad luck with friend choices in the Uk but its ok there as your surrounded bt family etc. I dont have that option here so it makes me all the more wary about future friendships. I do have one couple who we are friendly with & they are great but they are very different to me socially so its not easy getting together with them as id like

Im happy to have found this site as i never realised just how many people there were from the UK in my area & also how many felt similar to me.

As ive said though, i wont stop trying yet. Im a fighter & dont give in at the first hurdle!!:D

megansmummy May 25th 2007 6:56 am

Originally Posted by Lisa and Lance (Post 4824719)
We've been here only a few months, have joined the Brisbane British Club (BBC), fairly new group, have been to one of the meet ups last month which was a bit of a laugh and have made some friends through there. Theres a meet up this sunday at the Pig & Whistle at around 12 if you fancy coming along. http://brit.meetup.com/246/

Oooh thanks for that lisa.i love the pig & whistle. I will se what my hubs says as we are short on cash till 2 weeks time

Is it for familes or just couples???

Judex

megansmummy May 25th 2007 7:00 am

Originally Posted by welsh lass (Post 4828793)
Hi Megansmummy,
Where about are you from in Wales (as you said that you are Welsh) I'm from Wales also.
We have been out here 3years now, all i can say that it will get easier for you to meet people & what with the Welsh being chatter boxes they will warm to you, I have found that they can be quite curious and are not afraid to ask straight out your bussniess.
If you want keep intouch with a fellow Welsh person feel free, i will be happy to converse:)
All the best Welshlass. ps. i'm normarly on the Britvic site.

'

Your right the welsh are chatterboxes. i know i am:D!! Im a very sociable gal which is prob why i found all thsi hard so far!

Im from abergavenny in gwent. Where are you from??

Where are you in Oz???

Judex

megansmummy May 25th 2007 7:15 am

PS can i ask where people are viewing this post as i put it in the update one & its saying its moved so unless i specifically scroll down the page on the update onei cant tell wehn someone new has posted

jayr May 25th 2007 7:31 am

You need to meet up with more Aussies, not more Poms. Go to some Pom meetings to have a whinge but what you need to do is get involved in your community.

Most 'new' adult friendships are formed through your kids. You'll probably never meet the parents of your 11 yr old's mates so concentrate on the little un. Most friendships are formed from playgroup/school and this goes for not just kids but the parents.

Get into a playgroup or something and then YOU organise playing in the park, afternoon tea at your house, trip to Southbank, BBQ at your place etc. Nothing that 'mums' like more in Oz than a chance for a glass of "champagne".

Then invite any other newbies into you ever growing circle. By time you are going to kindy/preschool/school you wil lbe known as the fun socially oriented interesting Welsh woman. Trust me.

vb2 May 25th 2007 7:51 am

hang on in there!! we have been here over a year and yes i agree some people are strange, and some people we have met who we thought were friends are not and they are the english ones!!!
but relationships - whatever their shape or form, take time to blossom, all relationships have their ups and downs we cant expect to become best friends with someone after such a short time, enjoy australia its a wonderful country with lots of wonderful people, and believe me the friends will come along in good time!!
for the record i live near strathpine also so if you want to meet at the shopping centre for a coffee or something just post a thread and we will sort something out, theres nothing worse than feeling homesick and lonely when there is support out there
good luck
regards
vb2

Lisa and Lance May 25th 2007 7:52 am

Originally Posted by megansmummy (Post 4828948)
Oooh thanks for that lisa.i love the pig & whistle. I will se what my hubs says as we are short on cash till 2 weeks time

Is it for familes or just couples???

Judex

Hi

Its for both families and couples. There was a mixture of all age groups and some were couples with no kids and some people brought their kids along last time too. Might see you there!!

megansmummy May 25th 2007 8:08 am

Originally Posted by jayr (Post 4829064)
You need to meet up with more Aussies, not more Poms. Go to some Pom meetings to have a whinge but what you need to do is get involved in your community.

Most 'new' adult friendships are formed through your kids. You'll probably never meet the parents of your 11 yr old's mates so concentrate on the little un. Most friendships are formed from playgroup/school and this goes for not just kids but the parents.

Get into a playgroup or something and then YOU organise playing in the park, afternoon tea at your house, trip to Southbank, BBQ at your place etc. Nothing that 'mums' like more in Oz than a chance for a glass of "champagne".

Then invite any other newbies into you ever growing circle. By time you are going to kindy/preschool/school you wil lbe known as the fun socially oriented interesting Welsh woman. Trust me.

Ive joined 2 playgroups already. The 1st one wasnt very good. The 2nd was ok & i made a couple of mates, in fact one bedcame a very good one till she formed an emotional attachment to my hubby. I tried numerous tmes to sort get togeethers but never had much interest back so in the end i gave up . I then left due to what happened with the other friend

I plan to find another playgroup again asap but im now weary as you can imagine after 2 failed attempts

Jude

megansmummy May 25th 2007 8:14 am

Originally Posted by vb2 (Post 4829135)
hang on in there!! we have been here over a year and yes i agree some people are strange, and some people we have met who we thought were friends are not and they are the english ones!!!
but relationships - whatever their shape or form, take time to blossom, all relationships have their ups and downs we cant expect to become best friends with someone after such a short time, enjoy australia its a wonderful country with lots of wonderful people, and believe me the friends will come along in good time!!
for the record i live near strathpine also so if you want to meet at the shopping centre for a coffee or something just post a thread and we will sort something out, theres nothing worse than feeling homesick and lonely when there is support out there
good luck
regards
vb2

Thanks for that. Whats your right name & whereabouts are you??? Id love to meet up one day. Do you have children if what age are they??

I know friendships take time. Most of my best mates at home took a long time but due to the bad experiences so far im understandably weary of making friends. Ive lost a lot of trust which is sad as im a sociable person who is also a good friend to the ones i make. I will keep trying though as ive said b4:D

Judexx

megansmummy May 25th 2007 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Lisa and Lance (Post 4829139)
Hi

Its for both families and couples. There was a mixture of all age groups and some were couples with no kids and some people brought their kids along last time too. Might see you there!!

Hi lisa

Ive just chatted to hubs & unfortunately due to finances we cant make it which is a huge shame as would love to have come. Let me know when the next one is though please

Judex

vb2 May 25th 2007 8:16 am

hi again my name is nikki (i have been on the forum since i started the whole visa process back in 04!! so i am an oldie lol)!!!
just pm me, i am working part time at the moment but always enjoy the chance for coffee and a natter lol!!
i have a son aged 14 and a hubby!!
regards
vb2

CathnPaul May 25th 2007 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by vb2 (Post 4829221)
hi again my name is nikki (i have been on the forum since i started the whole visa process back in 04!! so i am an oldie lol)!!!
just pm me, i am working part time at the moment but always enjoy the chance for coffee and a natter lol!!
i have a son aged 14 and a hubby!!
regards
vb2

Gee Whizz VB!! Hows it goin???????????? thought you had dropped off the planet. haha

Alison - would love to come to one of your dooo's. cant wait to get over

vb2 May 25th 2007 9:31 pm

hey guys all bloody good here !!!! love oz love life all great!!
hope all is well with you guys!!!
regards
vb2