Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

8 days in queensland....how to spend?

8 days in queensland....how to spend?

Old Sep 6th 2006, 11:17 am
Just Joined

smit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 8 days in queensland....how to spend?

Hi there

my brother is over in oz on business,and he and his wife are coming over to Adelaide to see us.Theyve been all over oz apart from tassie and Cairns way.
When they leave us, they are thinking of going up to Cairns or Port Douglas for 3/4 days ,and then going to one of those islands off the coast (Hamilton?whitsundays???)for another 3/4 days before flying back to UK.

Its been 10 years since we went to Cairns, and there wasnt much at Pt Douglas then, so Im not very qualified to advise them the best one to stay at..................and as for the choice of islands...we never got there!

Is there anybody out there with any suggestions that I can pass on regarding Cairns or Pt douglas .........and which island to go to

any info would be great

cheers
smit
Old Sep 13th 2006, 4:43 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 8 days in queensland....how to spend?

just come back from 2 weeks in TNQ.

I'm speaking as an early 30's with 8 and 10 year old children ( + hubby officially pushing 40 this year!)

Unless they are backpackers/party animals with no kids they may not want to spend more than one day/night in Cairns itself.

Palm Cove lovely and great base to see around that area, do Port Douglas on a Sunday for the market. Karunda is a good day trip. Trip to the Barrier Reef.

Are you sure you mean the Whitsundays? We went there a few years ago and I imagine it would be about 1 hour FLIGHT from Cairns (1600km drive to mainland airlie near the whitsunday Islands). If you do mean them we went to 3 Long, Hamilton and Daydream so drop me a line on those.

Just 2 hours drive of Cairns are Bedarra and Dunk Island off Mission Beach - can give (my) opinion on Dunk I believe Green Island is nice just off Cairns.

It depends if they want eco, touristy, off the beaten track or luxury as to where you go.

I've bumped this now so maybe you may get more opinions on around there.

LJJ
Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:25 am
Just Joined

smit is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure you mean the Whitsundays? We went there a few years ago and I imagine it would be about 1 hour FLIGHT from Cairns (1600km drive to mainland airlie near the whitsunday Islands). If you do mean them we went to 3 Long, Hamilton and Daydream so drop me a line on those.

LJJ[/QUOTE]

thanks for the reply

they have decided to bypass Cairns and fly from Adelaide direct to Hamilton Island for 2 nights,then onto Daydream island for a further 5 nights.Its at the end of his 4 week business trip in Honk kong ,Auckland,Melbourne ,so they thought they would visit us then have a holiday.If there is any comments about those two places ,good or bad ,then ill pass it on.He did say ,he had problems getting accomodation in Hamilton island,so ,I presume its quite popular!
Old Sep 13th 2006, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by smit

LJJ
thanks for the reply

they have decided to bypass Cairns and fly from Adelaide direct to Hamilton Island for 2 nights,then onto Daydream island for a further 5 nights.Its at the end of his 4 week business trip in Honk kong ,Auckland,Melbourne ,so they thought they would visit us then have a holiday.If there is any comments about those two places ,good or bad ,then ill pass it on.He did say ,he had problems getting accomodation in Hamilton island,so ,I presume its quite popular![/QUOTE]

Hamilton island is superb we spenr 3 nights there in feb do a full days reef trip and everything is included. The villas are really nice but expensive and tell them to check the menus at restaurants first as some are expensive. Got sozzled in one place and ended up with 350 dollar bill for 2 adults and 2 kids apart from that it is a wonderfull island
ps If he hires a villa u get a golf buggy which is great fun on its own
Raven