Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

7 months since we arrived in perth

7 months since we arrived in perth

Old Apr 15th 2004, 8:11 am
port kennedy dec 2003

carolerussell is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool 7 months since we arrived in perth

I used to love logging on to british expats before moving over here, and eventually our lives are now settling down so i am able to log on once again and hopefully share with you who are still waiting for that magical moment. Any regrets? none what so ever, has it been hard? very. We were waved off by a leaving party of friends and family from our home in England. We spent the night at the hotel airport with immediate family and friends, little did I know that was to be my last night with my father as I knew him. They waved us off at the airport, tears all round, I felt quite ill rather than the excited feel which I had hoped for. We got on the plane, we couldn't believe we were moving to the other side of the world leaving all our family and friends behind.
We flew with singapore airlines, recommend them. We arrived in Perth, some old friends of mine met us and kindly put us up in their granny flat in Leeming 12 km south of perth for 8 weeks. We arrived as temporary residents, badly advised, we have since become permanent residents, had to leave Australia and obtain our visas in Bali. We liked Leeming but on visiting Port Kennedy we decided that it had everything to offer that we were personally looking for. We bought a house - 8 minutes walk from beach. Joe my youngest son settled immediately into school. Tom, 17 unfortunately returned to England, as temporary residents we had difficulty getting him back into education. He has since decided to remain in England with his father, he came out in February to go to Bali with us. Initially Grant found it very difficult to find work but has recently managed to get work through an agency and enjoys his job working at the naval base. I am working as a theatre nurse, I worked initially at Charlies but I have now got a contract with Peel health campus down at Mandurah. We love the way of life over here. I would compare it with America, you need a car to go everywhere. There are no pavements in the suburbs - you walk on everyones front lawns. The beaches down here are beautiful, we love the outdoor life. We have been here for one full summer and except for the odd extremely hot day the weather suits us perfectly, although autumn has arrived and we have yet to experience winter.
Our Home is typical for over here 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, games room with pool table and bar, formal and informal living areas, outside entertaining area - table tennis, and of course heated swimming pool.
I hope I have managed to give you a flavour of our new life, before moving over here all I ever wanted to know is what it was realy like, well for us its just heaven!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of
Default Re: 7 months since we arrived in perth

Originally posted by carolerussell
I used to love logging on to british expats before moving over here, and eventually our lives are now settling down so i am able to log on once again and hopefully share with you who are still waiting for that magical moment. Any regrets? none what so ever, has it been hard? very. We were waved off by a leaving party of friends and family from our home in England. We spent the night at the hotel airport with immediate family and friends, little did I know that was to be my last night with my father as I knew him. They waved us off at the airport, tears all round, I felt quite ill rather than the excited feel which I had hoped for. We got on the plane, we couldn't believe we were moving to the other side of the world leaving all our family and friends behind.
We flew with singapore airlines, recommend them. We arrived in Perth, some old friends of mine met us and kindly put us up in their granny flat in Leeming 12 km south of perth for 8 weeks. We arrived as temporary residents, badly advised, we have since become permanent residents, had to leave Australia and obtain our visas in Bali. We liked Leeming but on visiting Port Kennedy we decided that it had everything to offer that we were personally looking for. We bought a house - 8 minutes walk from beach. Joe my youngest son settled immediately into school. Tom, 17 unfortunately returned to England, as temporary residents we had difficulty getting him back into education. He has since decided to remain in England with his father, he came out in February to go to Bali with us. Initially Grant found it very difficult to find work but has recently managed to get work through an agency and enjoys his job working at the naval base. I am working as a theatre nurse, I worked initially at Charlies but I have now got a contract with Peel health campus down at Mandurah. We love the way of life over here. I would compare it with America, you need a car to go everywhere. There are no pavements in the suburbs - you walk on everyones front lawns. The beaches down here are beautiful, we love the outdoor life. We have been here for one full summer and except for the odd extremely hot day the weather suits us perfectly, although autumn has arrived and we have yet to experience winter.
Our Home is typical for over here 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, games room with pool table and bar, formal and informal living areas, outside entertaining area - table tennis, and of course heated swimming pool.
I hope I have managed to give you a flavour of our new life, before moving over here all I ever wanted to know is what it was realy like, well for us its just heaven!
Hi there

Sounds like you're enjoying it...... We should be there by August... hoping to buy in Fremantle, love it there.
What does your husband do and how long did he have to hold out for work ?
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

debio is an unknown quantity at this point

Many congratulations on a great post-you sound really settled and here's hoping it continues.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to read your post.
We too are in Mandurah. Very happy. Daughter loves it.

Whisky
Old Apr 15th 2004, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road

nice post - encouraging for us folk who are coming out there! thanks and keep them coming!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

lucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of lightlucy.summers is a glorious beacon of light

Really helpful post! We are hoping to move to Perth either mid 2005 or early 2006. How did you find house prices for 4 beds - that is what we would hope for.

Glad all has gone well and you've settled in well.

Lucy.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 12:55 pm
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Glad things have gone so well. Keep posting...
Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:10 pm
Go Banana's !!

We are getting closer too. 3rd viewing on the house tommorrow.

Fingers crossed for a quick sale hope to be in Perth Sept. Hubby may validate early so daughter and I can get out early as if we sell quick we'll have nowhere to live in the UK

All you Perthies should make for a good meet up sometime ?

Jill

Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice reading.

We visited Mandurah and really liked it there.
It had a nice feel to the place.

I hadn't heard of Peel Campus .Are you enjoying working there?

Di
Old Apr 15th 2004, 5:18 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by carolerussell
They waved us off at the airport, tears all round, I felt quite ill rather than the excited feel which I had hoped for. We got on the plane, we couldn't believe we were moving to the other side of the world leaving all our family and friends behind.
Thanks Carole, hope it stays going well!

I know I'm going to get ill as well.....
I hope it just stays away till the 14th.
With my wedding day I also only got nautious on the morning itself...
We have our leaving party on the 10th, and I want that to be happy!

Keep posting

Jill, I think with so many people in Perth, and so spread out (north, south) there'll have to be 2 meetups....
And seeing as we'll be living somewhere in the middle, I'll help arrange both!
And I don't care that I'm not even british
Old Apr 16th 2004, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point

hi carol

we used to e mail each other in england and then for some reason your aol account wouldnt pt my e mails -if i remeber rightly you flew out same day as us and believe it or not we are also in port kennedy
Old Apr 16th 2004, 6:38 am
Just Joined

perthgirl will become famous soon enoughperthgirl will become famous soon enough

Hi Carole
So good to see such a lovely posting it makes a change, you have chosen a lovely area & we are pleased to see you like it as much as we do.
I dont know if you are interested but there is a web site set up about Rockingham & Mandurah
www.emi-great.com
They have a similar forum to this & have posted a notice on it about having a get together for people in the area. If they get some interest theyre going to have a BBQ or something.
May see you there!
Old Apr 16th 2004, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

[good to hear everythings going well for you,
we are also moving to Perth in October and are interested in the Mandurah area, really like the houses on the canals!
I am also a nurse in theatres, working in recovery, do you know if they are short staffed in this area at the peel health campus? Also is it a very friendly, sociable place to work, nights out etc? How big is the hospital?
sorry to bombard you with all these questions, but it would be good to hear a personal opinion.

many thanks
Old Apr 16th 2004, 2:50 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

hi carole,

we met a few weeks ago in Dewsons car park and started nattering ...like you do!!...we then met again a couple of weeks later, when you had just got back from Bali.....we must have a proper get together....

we are also friendly with sheridan and andy wood!!!!!...small world eh????

Old May 13th 2004, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by igual
[good to hear everythings going well for you,
we are also moving to Perth in October and are interested in the Mandurah area, really like the houses on the canals!
I am also a nurse in theatres, working in recovery, do you know if they are short staffed in this area at the peel health campus? Also is it a very friendly, sociable place to work, nights out etc? How big is the hospital?
sorry to bombard you with all these questions, but it would be good to hear a personal opinion.

many thanks
There was an article in the local paper a couple of weeks back, about extra funding being made available for the Peel Health Campus (why don't they just call it Mandurah Hospital?). Nurses and doctors are desparately required, and they will look at recruiting from overseas if necessary. There has also been a new nursing course added to the local college prospectus to try and increase the interest in nursing from local school-leavers here.

There is an open-day at the hospital each year, but we've missed the last two because it clashed with something else. There is a poster on this board "Paula M" who has worked as a midwife there, she could answer more specific questions about working there I expect, try sending her a PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.