British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   7 May deadline: phew! (I think) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/7-may-deadline-phew-i-think-108231/)

jsg May 11th 2002 6:49 am

7 May deadline: phew! (I think)

I sent off my Skilled-Independent application to Adelaide on 30 April, claiming 110 points. Then got the news of the pass mark change.

Am now grateful I paid the extra 40p for Advice of Delivery. Got the postcard back today - dated 7 May.

Phew! (I think) - I hope this means that I've squeaked in before the cut-off date.

Anyone else in the same position?

jsg

yvsie May 11th 2002 10:47 am

Re: 7 May deadline: phew! (I think)

Yep...snuck in by the skin of your teeth...lucky you!!

Me ..no Ive got to get extra points now...blah!!!!!

Jaj May 12th 2002 12:20 am

Yvsie If you're a nurse you should have a good chance of a nomination from a
state/territory government. Why not apply for a Skill Matching visa, which has a low
initial cost, and then make yourself known to state governments and health
authorities?

Jeremy

>On 11 May 2002 14:20:48 GMT, yvsie <[email protected]> wrote: Yep...snuck in
    >by the skin of your teeth...lucky you!!
    >
    >Me ..no Ive got to get extra points now...blah!!!!!
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Yvonne
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Jaj May 12th 2002 7:20 am

This is especially applicable to nurses wanting to increase their points ...

- If you go to Australia and work there for 6 months on a work permit (as a nurse)
you get 5 extra points

- If your occupation is on the MODL (which applies to registered nurses) and you get
an Australian employer to offer you a job (which could be the job you are currently
doing) then the MODL points go up to 10 from 5.

These strategies could be employed alongside putting in a Skill Matching application,
or asking your Australian employer directly to sponsor you for Employer Nominated PR
once in Australia.

However, an application has to be lodged by your 45th birthday, otherwise the door to
Australia is effectively closed.

Jeremy

>On Sat, 11 May 2002 23:34:59 GMT, [email protected] (JAJ) wrote:

>Yvsie If you're a nurse you should have a good chance of a nomination from a
    >state/territory government. Why not apply for a Skill Matching visa, which has a low
    >initial cost, and then make yourself known to state governments and health
    >authorities?
    >
    >Jeremy
    >
    >
    >>On 11 May 2002 14:20:48 GMT, yvsie <[email protected]> wrote: Yep...snuck in
    >>by the skin of your teeth...lucky you!!
    >>
    >>Me ..no Ive got to get extra points now...blah!!!!!
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>--
    >>Yvonne
    >>
    >>Posted via http://britishexpats.com

yvsie May 12th 2002 10:13 am

Hi Jaj,

Yep Im a 40yr old nurse.
Im doing a degree and cant go till at least next summer anyway.
So, yes I could wait and approach an agency (I have already and been told...no probs..with job) and be nominated, .... but as we have to wait and it isnt a bad idea to get hubby's skills assessed anyway...that's what we're gonna do.
BUT...if PR hasnt come through...then we'll get 457 to put us on..so to speak...so that we can go before new school yr 2004...

The thought of being nominated and getting a job from hell bothers me...so thats another reason for getting PR even though its a pain having extra letters etc to sort

saunders May 12th 2002 10:26 am

Just wanted to ask Jeremy, We are going to Perth next month on 2 year contract, 457 visa ( I'm a nurse). I see you say it is possible to get an employer nominated PR visa. Would it be possible for me to apply for this whilst over there from my employers and if so how long are you then tied to those employers. What would be our other options for applying for a PR visa and which is easiest route to go down?
Thankyou in advance
Julie

Jaj May 12th 2002 9:20 pm

>On 12 May 2002 16:20:10 GMT, saunders <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just wanted to ask Jeremy, We are going to Perth next month on 2 year contract, 457
    >visa ( I'm a nurse). I see you say it is possible to get an employer nominated PR
    >visa. Would it be possible for me to apply for this whilst over there from my
    >employers

Yes. You can apply for 'onshore' ENS in Australia.

>and if so how long are you then tied to those employers.

Once you have your PR you would not be tied to your employer at all, although
your employer might have a clause in your contract to claw back any costs if you
left early.

> What would be our other options for applying for a PR visa and which is easiest
    > route to go down? Thankyou in advance Julie

I think if you are a nurse, you should look at the skilled independent route as long
as you have 115 points. With nurse fast-tracking Adelaide processing should only take
3-4 months. You will need to leave Australia to be granted your visa if you down this
route, as it's an offshore visa. Singapore would probably be most convenient if
you're in Perth.

You can still go to Australia on your 457 while you wait.

Jeremy