Reload this Page >

6months here 6months oz - schooling

6months here 6months oz - schooling

Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:22 am
Just Joined

surferchicksal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6months here 6months oz - schooling

Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help me! My hubby and daughter are Aussies and I have a perm visa, however at the moment we are in the UK, (lived in Oz for a few years a little while ago) My daughter will be ready to go to school in 16 months time, I wanted to know how possible would it be for her to go to school in the UK for 6 months and into a school in australia for 6 months. As my husbands business allows us to travel between the two countries. I have heard that Phil Spencer from relocation down under program does it with his family and wanted to know how he does it!!

Please help!

Sally
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6months here 6months oz - schooling

Home school them?
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

May work (possibly????) if they are kindy through to about grade 4 but after that would be complicated as well as really unsettling for the child. Sounds like hell to me, the idea of doing that trip that often would send me round the bend.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

I would think it is almost impossible to do it in mainstream schools.

As an example, in the NT, the 6 week school holiday is in Dec/Jan but in UK it's Aug/Sep.

Then there's the curriculum, even simple things like the style of handwriting may be different, I don't think the different states have a greed on a style yet.

On the surface it does not seem viable, but this is just my view...
Old Mar 15th 2011, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Phil possibly has his children in a private school where it may be more flexible. Difficult for the children though ie trying to settle then moving!! My 2 girls (5 and 6) have been in school for 5 months and 2 months and it hasn't been easy.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Drell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really niceDrell is just really nice

On the programme Phil Spencer does, he says he spends 3 months over the Aus winter in Aus (I presume during our summer holidays) as well as all half terms holidays- he didn't say that he spent a full on 6 months here and 6 months there.... You could always email his management agency.... long shot but worth a try.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 12:52 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Drell
On the programme Phil Spencer does, he says he spends 3 months over the Aus winter in Aus (I presume during our summer holidays) as well as all half terms holidays- he didn't say that he spent a full on 6 months here and 6 months there.... You could always email his management agency.... long shot but worth a try.
From a quick google I think his kids are only 4 and 6 so schooling not really an issue in Aus as yet (depending on where they stay when they're here).
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by surferchicksal
Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help me! My hubby and daughter are Aussies and I have a perm visa, however at the moment we are in the UK, (lived in Oz for a few years a little while ago) My daughter will be ready to go to school in 16 months time, I wanted to know how possible would it be for her to go to school in the UK for 6 months and into a school in australia for 6 months. As my husbands business allows us to travel between the two countries. I have heard that Phil Spencer from relocation down under program does it with his family and wanted to know how he does it!!

Please help!

Sally
I wish we could do the same. If private schools allow to do that, another vote for private schooling.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:18 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by laven
I wish we could do the same. If private schools allow to do that, another vote for private schooling.
Don't care what the schooling is, the idea is totally disruptive to the child surely? Two totally different curriculum, having to learn two different ways of working, two different schools to get used to, friends to constantly make and move on from. I can see retired people doing the 6 months/6 months but young families? Bugger that! Each to his own though.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

you are probably right, dreaming, dreaming..
Old Mar 15th 2011, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

A few people probably manage it, but perhaps it's more likely to work in a private school rather than a state one. There are international schools that offer a British curriculum, or when they're older the kids could work towards IB. With so many oil & gas and mining families coming and going, plus academics doing sabbaticals, it probably could be made to work. There would be all sorts of problems if the kids were in a standard British state school with curriculum, and swap over every 6 months to the Australian one. At the moment, there are big differences just moving between states.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:57 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
A few people probably manage it, but perhaps it's more likely to work in a private school rather than a state one. There are international schools that offer a British curriculum, or when they're older the kids could work towards IB. With so many oil & gas and mining families coming and going, plus academics doing sabbaticals, it probably could be made to work. There would be all sorts of problems if the kids were in a standard British state school with curriculum, and swap over every 6 months to the Australian one. At the moment, there are big differences just moving between states.
Even if both schools are doing the same curriculum, there's no guarantee that they're covering things in the same order. The students would constantly be doing double work and missing vital areas. It would be a nightmare.

Six months is a hell of a long time in the social calendar of a 6-16 year old too