Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6500 Euros x Month in Africa or 1.200 Euros in Australia?

6500 Euros x Month in Africa or 1.200 Euros in Australia?

Old May 19th 2011, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Rudyboy has a brilliant futureRudyboy has a brilliant futureRudyboy has a brilliant futureRudyboy has a brilliant futureRudyboy has a brilliant futureRudyboy has a brilliant futureRudyboy has a brilliant future
Default 6500 Euros x Month in Africa or 1.200 Euros in Australia?

We are a couple, both working in Mozambique (which is a nice sunny country) with a big and stable construction company at these conditions:

-4500 + 2200 Euros NET (No taxes) x Month
-Vehicle 4x4 fully serviced including fuel, insurance etc
-Nice 2 bedrooms house
-45 days per year leave
-2 flight ticket x year for both of us from Mozambique to Europe
-Full medical cover
-Good prospective of career for both of us
-In order to not leave the company, we have been proposed to be “economical partner” of the society. This means job granted up to retirement.
-Possibility to change country between: Italy, South Africa, Angola, China, Singapore.

I (only me, not my wife) have been offered a job in Brisbane on a 457 Visa with also a small but stable company at these conditions:

-4500 Euros NET (No taxes) x Month (this is 100.000 AUD Gross x year)
-NO HOUSE
-30 days per year leave
-NO FLIGHT TICKETS
-Medical cover only for me (for my wife we should pay)
-Good prospective of career obviously only for me
-Possibility to change location within Australia

Basically, here in Africa we save about 6.500 Euros x month. In Australia, until my wife will not find a job, we will save about 1.200 Euros.

What will you do in our situation???
Old May 19th 2011, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6500 Euros x Month in Africa or 1.200 Euros in Australia?

I would definitely stay and work in Mozambique for now.

I don't know what Mozambique is like these days, but if you're safe 'n sound and making good dosh, then don't rush to Oz.

Last edited by Alfresco; May 19th 2011 at 9:30 am.
Old May 19th 2011, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Rudyboy has a brilliant futureRudyboy has a brilliant futureRudyboy has a brilliant futureRudyboy has a brilliant futureRudyboy has a brilliant futureRudyboy has a brilliant futureRudyboy has a brilliant future

I forgot to say that:

in Mozambique we have 600 Euros x month for FOOD ALLOWANCE!

and that

we already ACCEPTED the offer in Australia and we have already the visa label on our passports! Many offers from our actual company came after we mention to them that we will leave after 3 months.
Old May 19th 2011, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

towers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud oftowers has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rudyboy

If you got LAFHA at AUS$500 for accommodation per week and the food allowance at AUS$289 week with your salary you'd actually be making around €5,300 after tax a month (maybe a little more depending on how they administer your Super)
Old May 19th 2011, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to say that:

in Mozambique we have 600 Euros x month for FOOD ALLOWANCE!

and that

we already ACCEPTED the offer in Australia and we have already the visa label on our passports! Many offers from our actual company came after we mention to them that we will leave after 3 months.
Well if you've already accepted, I guess you're well on your way to OZ.

Good luck!
Old May 19th 2011, 10:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

We are a couple, both working in Mozambique (which is a nice sunny country) with a big and stable construction company at these conditions:

-4500 + 2200 Euros NET (No taxes) x Month
-Nice 2 bedrooms house
-45 days per year leave
-2 flight ticket x year for both of us from Mozambique to Europe
-Full medical cover
-Good prospective of career for both of us
-In order to not leave the company, we have been proposed to be “economical partner” of the society. This means job granted up to retirement.
-Possibility to change country between: Italy, South Africa, Angola, China, Singapore.

I (only me, not my wife) have been offered a job in Brisbane on a 457 Visa with also a small but stable company at these conditions:

-NO HOUSE
-30 days per year leave
-NO FLIGHT TICKETS
-Medical cover only for me (for my wife we should pay)
-Good prospective of career obviously only for me
-Possibility to change location within Australia

Basically, here in Africa we save about 6.500 Euros x month. In Australia, until my wife will not find a job, we will save about 1.200 Euros.

What will you do in our situation???
I'd stay in Mozambique, it's a great place.

I went there once, in a Puma helicopter - and I didn't need a passport.
Old May 19th 2011, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'd stay in Mozambique, it's a great place.

I went there once, in a Puma helicopter - and I didn't need a passport.
Amazulu! Are you South African?
Old May 19th 2011, 2:32 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Amazulu! Are you South African?
yes
Old May 19th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm Australian with my wife and kids living in Melbourne. We are working to move to Mozambique to live on the land that my wife and I own there. Part of our reason is that my wife is Mozambican and we have half of our family living there.

Besides the family side of things, we just love the place. Some of the best coastline in the world, great people, great food, a social life where you can nearly dance yourself to death, and...most importantly for me..the best coffee in Africa.
Old May 20th 2011, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
yes
---o--
Old May 20th 2011, 2:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Under those conditions i'd stay in Mozambique.Maputo i imagine is still one cool city to be in?
Old May 20th 2011, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Mozambique sounds better. But how sustainable is their offer? Are they going to turn around in twelve months and say "Sorry mate, we can't afford you, can you scale back?"?
Old May 20th 2011, 5:45 am
Just Joined

Mozambique is a nice country, with nice weather and nice people. Maputo is chaotic, corrupted and full of rubbish ewerywhere but to me, it is a lovely place to be. It is true: good food, good beaches, always shining sun.

What is pushing me to Australia, is that I don't want to miss the opportunity to get into one of the most great contry in the world.

P.S....JR230898 have you ever tried Italian coffee in Italy?
Old May 20th 2011, 7:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mozambique is a nice country, with nice weather and nice people. Maputo is chaotic, corrupted and full of rubbish ewerywhere but to me, it is a lovely place to be. It is true: good food, good beaches, always shining sun.

What is pushing me to Australia, is that I don't want to miss the opportunity to get into one of the most great contry in the world.

P.S....JR230898 have you ever tried Italian coffee in Italy?
OK, so why do you think Australia is one of the greatest countries in the world?

(Never been to Mozambique, have been to italy, and Italian coffee is just )
Old May 20th 2011, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
OK, so why do you think Australia is one of the greatest countries in the world?

(Never been to Mozambique, have been to italy, and Italian coffee is just )
Coffee is more than pretty decent up the East Coast in places with a Portugese or Italian influence(Eritrea and Ethiopia) as well.

Perhaps what the poster refers to is one of the great immigration seeking countries of the world?

Last edited by the troubadour; May 20th 2011 at 8:54 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.