Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

60k Salary in Melbourne or Brisbane managebale??

60k Salary in Melbourne or Brisbane managebale??

Old Oct 22nd 2016, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 60k Salary in Melbourne or Brisbane managebale??

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Ozzie is one of my fav mates on BE. He really is the poster boy for the 30+ dollars an hour 'pick and mix' job. I'd do it too if I had a terrace in Carlton - absolute w*nkfest life.

Love his work and life. Our lives intersect in some ways - leave it at that - as this is a public arena..totally get his life...and luck

He'll understand, if not agree with my politics which is that unions are great for bargaining but that's where it should end - and as they do more than they should, they need to go.

cheers
Yep. Ozzie is great. The best thing about Ozzie is he's adaptable. Perfect example of the perfect immigrant. He just gets on with it. The world needs more Ozzie's. Love Ozzie's work.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, although to the OP I'd say there is plenty of opportunity out there. There aren't many people that would migrate 12,500 miles to have their wives loading trucks or parcel cages on evening shift or whatever else comes along.... yet that is where the money is and 20 years down the track you could well realise how you've lived and what you've accumulated and how your kids have lived .....It was more than worth it.

I think what doesn't come across to people in the UK, is average here is generally speaking far higher, broader and more lucrative than the UK.
Old Jan 8th 2017, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

sofarsogood00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Iam living in Darwin with wife and children 7 and 11. I work in Security and not making much more than $60K. We get by well enough and its just a matter of cutting your cloth to fit. Wife is looking for cleaning jobs just now to up our income a little which would give us the occasional luxury or treat. That said we are happy and able to adapt. Darwin, contrary to popular belief is an expensive place to stay, more so than Brisbane.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

The ABS says the average individual wage in Australia is $57,980 before tax - so $60,000 puts you at (very) slightly above average. The average full-time wage was $74,274 before tax. "High" income is classed at $94,328 after tax and Medicare levy.

As Australia is a highly urbanized country - most of that data would have come from people who live in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth etc.

So certainly lots of people survive on $60k. You won't feel rich but sure it is doable, particularly if you can keep your housing cost under control (which will be difficult in those two cities).
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Sh3ll3y is an unknown quantity at this point

I find myself in a very similar situation at the moment and i have a war going on between my head and heart.
My husband has been offered a job in melbourne on $70k roughly. We have 3 children and as my youngest is only 18months i couldnt work initially.
The employer wants him over quite quickly so is looking at a 457 visa. The job is on csol so my pref would be 186 (but 14 years experience isnt a formal qualification for the skills assessment...even though most people working the same job in australia dont have formal qualifications either) as i feel unable to commit on the temp basis. In a few years when i can work i can expect to earn around $50k according to jobs i can see advertised now. So i would be happy to 'struggle by' for a few years if it meant we could realise our dream. I also know that in the interim years we could get a little help if we were PR. Not that i want to sponge but i know i would be paying plenty back to the system as soon as i could.
So this thread is useful to me too.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Linda Evangelista (apparently she hails from the same neck of the woods as a rather furry semi-aquatic mammal that can be found here on the forum ) once famously said she wouldn't wake up for anything less than $10,000 per day.

While I personally find that a little arrogant and quite unbecoming of any professional (if strutting one's skinny frame on 6 inch heels can be termed "professional") there's a lesson to be learnt from that rather haughty statement of hers.

In my opinion, no one should be tempted to make the move unless it's for a great deal more money than what can be had at home. I dare say a doubling of the applicant's present income might be a good starting point, especially if on a non-permanent visa like the 457.

With no social support and governmental help to speak of, the small quantum of increase in take home pay can easily be outstripped by the increases in costs of child care, health/medical needs, schooling and rentals - both expected and unexpected. What if a child fell ill? Or you hated the house and needed to look for a new neighborhood?

Anyway, the above is just my personal view. There's no right or wrong in it - it's just what you and your husband feel is best for the family. Good luck whichever way you end up deciding!
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Two things I wasn't prepared to do and that was to go on a temp visa and not have a job lined up before I left. I managed quite well on bout $65-70 AUD with 2 kids living on the Gold Coast QLD albeit 7 years ago.PR visa had its advantages because we were entitled to claim money for kids,similar to tax credits and because we were renting we also got a rent payment to top up our rent. I assume this still happens because it made a difference. My kids went to state school where you make an occasional donation for books etc. Someone will correct me I am wrong but I think QLD now charges for school if you are on a 457 temp visa.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 2:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garyp
Two things I wasn't prepared to do and that was to go on a temp visa and not have a job lined up before I left. I managed quite well on bout $65-70 AUD with 2 kids living on the Gold Coast QLD albeit 7 years ago.PR visa had its advantages because we were entitled to claim money for kids,similar to tax credits and because we were renting we also got a rent payment to top up our rent. I assume this still happens because it made a difference. My kids went to state school where you make an occasional donation for books etc. Someone will correct me I am wrong but I think QLD now charges for school if you are on a 457 temp visa.
Not yet, though I'm sure it will come.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
Linda Evangelista (apparently she hails from the same neck of the woods as a rather furry semi-aquatic mammal that can be found here on the forum ) once famously said she wouldn't wake up for anything less than $10,000 per day.

While I personally find that a little arrogant and quite unbecoming of any professional (if strutting one's skinny frame on 6 inch heels can be termed "professional") there's a lesson to be learnt from that rather haughty statement of hers.

In my opinion, no one should be tempted to make the move unless it's for a great deal more money than what can be had at home. I dare say a doubling of the applicant's present income might be a good starting point, especially if on a non-permanent visa like the 457.

With no social support and governmental help to speak of, the small quantum of increase in take home pay can easily be outstripped by the increases in costs of child care, health/medical needs, schooling and rentals - both expected and unexpected. What if a child fell ill? Or you hated the house and needed to look for a new neighborhood?

Anyway, the above is just my personal view. There's no right or wrong in it - it's just what you and your husband feel is best for the family. Good luck whichever way you end up deciding!
Totally agree. In addition 457's visas are there to hire people they can't find locally. That minimum salary should be raised. 70k is hardly designed to entice someone you can't find locally
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 11:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
The ABS says the average individual wage in Australia is $57,980 before tax - so $60,000 puts you at (very) slightly above average. ....
But the OP isn't an "individual", he's married with children. ..... And even if his wife finds a job at $30,000 then their individual income would still be well below $57,980 on average.

Or am I misunderstanding what "average individual wage" means in Australia?
Old Mar 28th 2017, 10:32 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sofarsogood00
Iam living in Darwin with wife and children 7 and 11. I work in Security and not making much more than $60K. We get by well enough and its just a matter of cutting your cloth to fit. Wife is looking for cleaning jobs just now to up our income a little which would give us the occasional luxury or treat. That said we are happy and able to adapt. Darwin, contrary to popular belief is an expensive place to stay, more so than Brisbane.
Well, I agree with you sofarsogood00. There's no reason whatsoever that the OP can't move over here and give it a try.

It might not be perfect from day 1, but if you're prepared to make a sacrifice and take a chance - then why not?
Old Mar 29th 2017, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Well, I agree with you sofarsogood00. There's no reason whatsoever that the OP can't move over here and give it a try.

It might not be perfect from day 1, but if you're prepared to make a sacrifice and take a chance - then why not?

We did not have the internet etc when we migrated to Aus, we learnt things through the nearest Australia House (Manchester at that time) we went on Permanent Residency Status, we did not know a sole or had even visited Australia before but we wanted to try something new. We picked WA as it was nearer to Asia and less of a flight to Europe and it was described as having a Mediterranean lifestyle which sounded nice and familiar. We did not arrive with a great deal of money and my DH could not find any work in is trade at the time so worked for a local British Builder as a labourer, we rented for a few months then bought a small home 4 months later (not a great area but it was our own and a starting black) Fast forward a couple of years my husband had a career change and was working then for Telstra and I in a private hospital working 2 days a week in Theatre (Clerical) we paid a small fortune for child care in the school holidays and after school as having no family etc to help (but that was the case in the UK anyway). These years we did work so hard and we did struggle but we did get to a stage where we were eventually comfortable but that is what we have always done both in Aus and the UK. If I had used this site back then fantastic as it is I am not so sure we would of migrated lol, we were a bit naïve, young and just wanted to migrate and did not know of others peoples struggles and opinions.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
We did not have the internet etc when we migrated to Aus, we learnt things through the nearest Australia House (Manchester at that time) we went on Permanent Residency Status, we did not know a sole or had even visited Australia before but we wanted to try something new. We picked WA as it was nearer to Asia and less of a flight to Europe and it was described as having a Mediterranean lifestyle which sounded nice and familiar. We did not arrive with a great deal of money and my DH could not find any work in is trade at the time so worked for a local British Builder as a labourer, we rented for a few months then bought a small home 4 months later (not a great area but it was our own and a starting black) Fast forward a couple of years my husband had a career change and was working then for Telstra and I in a private hospital working 2 days a week in Theatre (Clerical) we paid a small fortune for child care in the school holidays and after school as having no family etc to help (but that was the case in the UK anyway). These years we did work so hard and we did struggle but we did get to a stage where we were eventually comfortable but that is what we have always done both in Aus and the UK. If I had used this site back then fantastic as it is I am not so sure we would of migrated lol, we were a bit naïve, young and just wanted to migrate and did not know of others peoples struggles and opinions.
That's a fantastic, uplifting story. Thanks so much for sharing.

Hard work and determination have never ceased to be in vogue - and congratulations on having made something out of what was essentially a leap of faith and a new adventure in an unknown land.

That's an inspiration right there for anyone thinking of making a move Down Under.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this expat forum or another, I remember seeing one poster who compiled a pretty detailed spreadsheet(suspect an accountant ) in which he compared his living costs in the UK to what roughly he may spend in Australia right down to the mundane things, including the kids school clothes, kids entertainment at weekends, school trips, comparing basic setup costs, then day to day living costs. It included things I would not have thought about.

I wish I had the link, but cannot remember where I seen it. He made it available of google drive so people could download it. It was broken down over a few years, using the current exchange rate at the time so how he could see how better or worse of they were going to be.

I think at this moment of time $70k/year for a family of four with no equity in the UK, moving to Melbourne is pretty insane, especially if you are looking longterm and wanting to get on the housing market, unless some major correction happens here.
Old Mar 30th 2017, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by evets
Not sure if this expat forum or another, I remember seeing one poster who compiled a pretty detailed spreadsheet(suspect an accountant ) in which he compared his living costs in the UK to what roughly he may spend in Australia right down to the mundane things, including the kids school clothes, kids entertainment at weekends, school trips, comparing basic setup costs, then day to day living costs. It included things I would not have thought about.

I wish I had the link, but cannot remember where I seen it. He made it available of google drive so people could download it. It was broken down over a few years, using the current exchange rate at the time so how he could see how better or worse of they were going to be.

I think at this moment of time $70k/year for a family of four with no equity in the UK, moving to Melbourne is pretty insane, especially if you are looking longterm and wanting to get on the housing market, unless some major correction happens here.
Here it is.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country 2=Australia&city1=Sheffield&city2=Melbourne

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.