Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

60k to 65k a year salary in Sydney?

60k to 65k a year salary in Sydney?

Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

Andy1987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 60k to 65k a year salary in Sydney?

I'm considering a move to Australia. Very early days still - I've only spoken to one recruitment agent so far who has given me some advice.

I can probably expect 60k to 65k a year. Possibly 68K if I ace the interviews. I'm still fairly junior in my role (Digital Advertising) with just three years experience.

Most of the Digital Advertising jobs are in Sydney, some in Melbourne - both notoriously expensive cities I've heard.

What sort of lifestyle can I expect on 60k to 65k a year? Would I have to be extremely careful each month with money? Would I be scrimping and saving whenever I can? Part of my desire to move to Australia, is to be able to travel around to different cities and do all the usual traveller things as well on annual leave. Is that possible on this salary?

I'm fairly confident I can get a job, as roles in my industry seem to be plentiful in Australia, and they all seem to be turning abroad to look for talent.

But it's whether I've jumping into this too early - perhaps I should gain a bit more experience in the UK? Work may way up to manager level and to a decent salary, before doing the move to Australia when I can bargain for more?

What does everyone think?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 60k to 65k a year salary in Sydney?

I am assuming you are a young singleton? When I was 25 I moved to London on GBP20k (in 1995) and I was definitely not flush but as a young singleton you can make it work. Start out in shared accommodation, move into own place as salary increased with more work experience. I expect you will be like that.

On $65k you would take home just under $1k a week, if you share accommodation you would probably spend a third of this on rent and so you have $500-600 per week to play with. How would you manage on lets say GBP250 per week spare now? It would be something like that.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got a visa by the way? Does your occupation qualify for a visa? Sometimes people have this perception of Australia being desperate for overseas workers, but it really isn't in most occupations ...
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

I don't have a working visa yet as its still early days, but from what 2 recruitment agents have told me, it seems that they've relocated a fair few people from the UK for my particular role. He said most companies will sponsor for the work I'm doing, particularly as there's a lack of home grown talent/the industry is developing and still behind that of UK and US.

Last edited by Andy1987; Jan 7th 2014 at 8:06 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

I need to give this a good think. My motivation for moving to Australia is almost based entirely enjoying a new lifestyle and exploring what the country has to offer. So if I'm earning a salary that means I am limited in what I can do....well then its probably better to wait a few years longer when I can afford the lifestyle I want?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Andy1987
I don't have a working visa yet as its still early days, but from what 2 recruitment agents have told me, it seems that they've relocated a fair few people from the UK for my particular role. He said most companies will sponsor for the work I'm doing, particularly as there's a lack of home grown talent/the industry is developing and still behind that of UK and US.
Fair enough, sounds promising.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Its hard to say without knowing your CV but the lowest digital advertising coordinator on my payroll is $70k (Melbourne).

So perhaps do some more research on www.Seek.com?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for sending me that ^

Spoke to another recruitment agent, and he said its quite possible I could be aiming for manager level roles in Australia. Its based on my level of experience and the fact the industry is still lagging behind the UK's and needs imported talent.

So I could be aiming for $70k to $75k salary. This will give me a bit of breathing room - what does everyone think?

Of course, this all dependent on me getting a job first, so I don't want to jump the gun!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:09 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know your industry at all, so this may not apply! But both myself and my husband found that recruitment agents didn't always give the most accurate impression of the actual state of the market. Sure, jobs may be advertised. But we found that several agencies might be recruiting for the same role, so it made it seem that there were more jobs out there than there actually were. Perhaps something to be aware of?

Secondly, I'm guessing you're looking at a 457 visa? As I'm sure you're aware, that's only a temp visa. The job disappears, you have 28 days in which to find another or you're back to Blighty. Plenty use that route and it completely depends on what level of risk you're happy with as to whether it's the route for you. We opted for a PR visa.

I'd second BS, it's not a massive sum but it's workable if you're sensible about how much things cost over here and budget accordingly.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I don't know your industry at all, so this may not apply! But both myself and my husband found that recruitment agents didn't always give the most accurate impression of the actual state of the market. Sure, jobs may be advertised. But we found that several agencies might be recruiting for the same role, so it made it seem that there were more jobs out there than there actually were. Perhaps something to be aware of?

Secondly, I'm guessing you're looking at a 457 visa? As I'm sure you're aware, that's only a temp visa. The job disappears, you have 28 days in which to find another or you're back to Blighty. Plenty use that route and it completely depends on what level of risk you're happy with as to whether it's the route for you. We opted for a PR visa.

I'd second BS, it's not a massive sum but it's workable if you're sensible about how much things cost over here and budget accordingly.

Sure. Generally I find recruitment agents in the UK may say things sometimes to try and sell you a role so I'll be wary, as it can also happen in Oz. But I guess I won't know for sure until I start doing the interviews.

Well I think I'd actually be looking at the 417 first. And then once I've started work, the employer would sponsor me for the 457.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

I think I might try and engineer a move to Melbourne instead. My salary might stretch a bit further there....
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I think I might try and engineer a move to Melbourne instead. My salary might stretch a bit further there....
Only on housing and not by much. If your up for house sharing to start off with, the only difference will be location. Although the inner city burbs in Melbourne are probably more to a UK persons taste than the Sydney ones... There are probably more choices in those type of Burbs in Melbourne as well which is another factor.

Seems to me that there a lot more inner burbs that are fashionable/palatable/desireable in Melbourne compared to Sydney....
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I looked on seek and there were twice as many digital marketing roles in Sydney versus Melbourne. I think to buy a house or for a family rental then yes Melbourne would be cheaper, but I honestly cannot imagine it would make any notable difference for somebody like yourself who possibly would house share or get a small unit. Outside accommodation, I don't think there would be any difference in your other day to day expenses. So I think you can take your pick, maybe even job hunt in both and keep your living arrangements flexible until you have work.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Well I think I'd actually be looking at the 417 first. And then once I've started work, the employer would sponsor me for the 457.
This is highly unlikely to work.

When you come on a 417 you have come to Australia on holiday. You should know this and your prospective employer does to. You are in effect ineligible for any full time role on that visa and will be on the bottom of the CV pile for any such roles.

There's a real danger in coming on a 417 as a means of emigration that you cannot get work in your chosen field, have to do something else casual, and your skills degrade or become less current as time goes on.

It might be a quick way in but it's a lazy one too.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

$60-$65k is perfectly fine and the norm in most of Sydney. You will be able to rent a studio and not do house sharing. Move to the inner suburbs(not city) and you won't need a car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.