Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

60 Minutes last night.

60 Minutes last night.

Old Feb 27th 2005, 8:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default 60 Minutes last night.

Did anyone else notice the bizzare way the the report went on innocent :scared: aussie girls being Raped, killed and chopped up in Japan.

Pardon my naive australian innocence, but how can anybody even us aussies be surprised this happens to girls who

1. Work in a bar or strip club in a red light area.

2. Get tempted by 4 times the yen by getting it all off instead of sticking to serving beer.

3. Get filmed giving their phone numbers to elderly japanese gentlemen in clubs where they go to purchase sex

4. Getting paid to go on dates where the japanese gent will provide you guchi handbags in return for your erm intelligent conversation

5. Setting off for a weekend with a guy you met in one of these sex parlours anyway?

Yet the whole angle was poor aussie girls being taken advantage of !!!. Didnt their mothers tell them working in K mart might be a bit safer than in a mafia run sex dens in a red light district.

Fine narrow minded aussie can do no wrong journalism again.

Edit. Before some bright spark trys to turn this into, "are you saying rape is OK then no I am not.

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 27th 2005 at 8:17 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 60 Minutes last night.

There was an incidence of this with a UK girl. Because she was from a upper middle class family the press, for some unfathomable reason, decided they would take exactly the same angle.
At no stage were we allowed to be told she was a prostitute. really daft.
Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:47 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichS
There was an incidence of this with a UK girl. Because she was from a upper middle class family the press, for some unfathomable reason, decided they would take exactly the same angle.
At no stage were we allowed to be told she was a prostitute. really daft.
That's the case that sprung to mind when I read the OP couldn't remember details though. She was a high class hooker selling her body for sex just the same as the girls and boys walking the red light districts the world over.
Didn't the police find her remains in a cave on the rich blokes island???
I think she was called Lucie Blackman and was described as a "bar hostess"
Your right though, her upbringing meant she wasn't called a tom or tart.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:02 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta57
That's the case that sprung to mind when I read the OP couldn't remember details though. She was a high class hooker selling her body for sex just the same as the girls and boys walking the red light districts the world over.
Didn't the police find her remains in a cave on the rich blokes island???
I think she was called Lucie Blackman and was described as a "bar hostess"
Your right though, her upbringing meant she wasn't called a tom or tart.
She was featured in the program last night. Watch 60 minutes, A Current Affair or Today Tonight if you want to be morally outraged and scared of leaving your house. Journalistic standards, impartiality and independant ethics are not part of the fare.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

There are all different levels of red light entertainment in Japan. Of course there are the prostitutes, but there are many more levels under this that do not have sex with the customers.

A hostess is sort of a modern day Geisha. You pour their drinks, light their cigarettes and make conversation. The only eqivalent in the West is maybe the Barman, or Barmaid. There is no obligation to have sex. Most of the customers bring their business clients so they don't have to do all the entertaining themselves. Not entirely innocent as the colour of pubic hair comes up in most conversations, but its a very hard for western men to understand.

In some bars the girls have to go out to dinner with the customers before or after work too, and the customers give them a tip or buy them a bag or scarf.

I didn't see 60 minutes, but no doubt they hyped the whole thing out of proportion. I worked as a hostess for 4 years, got propositioned a lot, refused 100% of the time, and was never eaten by a cannibal.

I would almost guarantee that Lucy Blackman was not a prostitute in the western sense of the word. She was probably showered with gifts and felt obliged to return the favour to that particular person, or thought she would get even more gifts on her weekend away. That is the Japanese way, curry favour with gifts.

I heard of a girl who was bought a Porsche by a customer. She sold it the very next day to another customer and skipped the country with the profit. Another girl I knew did sleep with her customers and charged $10,000 US each. After a few months she went back to Melbourne and bought a posh unit for cash. I wonder what she thinks of her actions now? If I ran into her it would be sort of hard to ask wouldn't it?

Anyway I think it would be hard to find too many innocent 20 something girls anywhere, just maybe stupid ones.

Queenie

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Did anyone else notice the bizzare way the the report went on innocent :scared: aussie girls being Raped, killed and chopped up in Japan.

Pardon my naive australian innocence, but how can anybody even us aussies be surprised this happens to girls who

2. Get tempted by 4 times the yen by getting it all off instead of sticking to serving beer.

3. Get filmed giving their phone numbers to elderly japanese gentlemen in clubs where they go to purchase sex

4. Getting paid to go on dates where the japanese gent will provide you guchi handbags in return for your erm intelligent conversation

5. Setting off for a weekend with a guy you met in one of these sex parlours anyway?

Yet the whole angle was poor aussie girls being taken advantage of !!!. Didnt their mothers tell them working in K mart might be a bit safer than in a mafia run sex dens in a red light district.

Edit. Before some bright spark trys to turn this into, "are you saying rape is OK then no I am not.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 12:52 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

only caught the end of it, and my exact words was " I blame the parents" .
This is not a new thing, it has been going on for years in Japan. I would not feel happy about a boy going there for bar work , never mind a girl.
I know you can't force your kids not to do things - but really why are they so naive?

The one thing that I did not understand is the guy who is still walking around ( the one who ate his victim, deported from France) . He admits it , but he is a free man. what law system do they have Japan that allows this monster to walk free. The monster needs an axe through his head! B8stard

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 28th 2005 at 1:02 am.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

queenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant futurequeenie has a brilliant future

I remember that particualr incident. He kept her body in the freezer and ate it gradually. It was a long time ago (20 - 25 years?), and very big news in Japan. He was sent to a psychiatric hospital in Toyko near to where I was living. So either he has now been released or they interviewed him there. Knowing Aussie journalism, my guess is that he is still locked away but they just wouldn't mention that.

Queenie

Originally Posted by Ceri
only caught the end of it, and my exact words was " I blame the parents" .
This is not a new thing, it has been going on for years in Japan. I would not feel happy about a boy going there for bar work , never mind a girl.
I know you can't force your kids not to do things - but really why are they so naive?

The one thing that I did not understand is the guy who is still walking around ( the one who ate his victim, deported from France) . He admits it , but he if a free man. what law system do they have Japan that allows this monster to walk free. The monster needs an axe through his head! B8stard
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:09 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by queenie
I remember that particualr incident. He kept her body in the freezer and ate it gradually. It was a long time ago (20 - 25 years?), and very big news in Japan. He was sent to a psychiatric hospital in Toyko near to where I was living. So either he has now been released or they interviewed him there. Knowing Aussie journalism, my guess is that he is still locked away but they just wouldn't mention that.

Queenie
He is walking free to my knowledge. One sick B8stard. I think his rich father played a very big part in "getting him off" with it (?) if I'm not mistaken.
He admitted on the programme he still has the taste for it.
Now I don't believe in the death penalty , but for that monster yes , if I were the parents of that girl he would not be walking around today.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:44 am
Y Ddraig Goch

http://www.frenchpubagency.com/?fuse...e.main&tid=203

I can't post a lot of the links I have found as they contain photos , which are too graphic.

but yes he is free.

If I remember rightly they deported him from France , and the Japanese did not jail him

Three years in a French hospital according to the above link, then to a Japanese hospital , don't know how long he was in one there - I'm sure it was something to do with his rich father, or his money from his rich father, ie good lawyers that got him off in Japan

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 28th 2005 at 1:48 am.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Hi Ceri, yes I just looked him up too.

The Japs had him in a looney bin for a while but now he is fully released and doing the celebrity circuit. Japs love bizzare and macabre stuff. Sick and wrong.

I just read some of the the quotes from his book about it and nearly vomitted.

Queenie

Originally Posted by Ceri
http://www.frenchpubagency.com/?fuse...e.main&tid=203

I can't post a lot of the links I have found as they contain photos , which are too graphic.

but yes he is free.

If I remember rightly they deported him from France , and the Japanese did not jail him

Three years in a French hospital according to the above link, then to a Japanese hospital , don't know how long he was in one there - I'm sure it was something to do with his rich father, or his money from his rich father, ie good lawyers that got him off in Japan
Old Feb 28th 2005, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Liz Hayes, the australain journalist selected to do the piece was interviewing him, with a poster of him in the background, naked holding a giant knife and fork

Then they got him to go into a bar, where 3 aussie girls then gave the 4 foot 6 inch warty, bespectacled, old gentleman their phone number.

Quality stuff, pity more didnt see it.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 2:27 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Liz Hayes, the australain journalist selected to do the piece was interviewing him, with a poster of him in the background, naked holding a giant knife and fork

Then they got him to go into a bar, where 3 aussie girls then gave the 4 foot 6 inch warty, bespectacled, old gentleman their phone number.

Quality stuff, pity more didnt see it.
what is worrying -

Do you think that interview with him was for free? Be interesting to know did 60 minutes pay him for that interview . He is selling himself.

what cost for a story aye, a story at any costs .. it's like these people who buy IRA books, written by so and so, so called ex IRA. Then the same people who "buy" have the cheek to complain about them. Lining " funding" the pockets of the ones, and causes that they disagree with.

It makes me sick.

ahh TV ratings at any cost.

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 28th 2005 at 2:33 am.
Old Feb 28th 2005, 3:58 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
She was featured in the program last night. Watch 60 minutes, A Current Affair or Today Tonight if you want to be morally outraged and scared of leaving your house. Journalistic standards, impartiality and independant ethics are not part of the fare.

Indeed you are correct. It's all part of the ratings war. Channel 9 and Channel 7 are by far the worst for journalistic propaganda. Why for instance was Ray Martin on holiday over christmas one miniute, then flown over to Indonesia with his Armani wardrobe, suncream and big fake grin immediately after the unfortunate events in Asia on 26th December??