Reload this Page >

60,000 after taxes

60,000 after taxes

Old May 6th 2004, 9:30 am
Just Joined

kolakola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 60,000 after taxes

Hi,

I have a good opportunity to go to australia in the next year, the salary will be 60K A$. I will be most likely able to choose betweed sydney, melbourne, perth, adelaide.

I was wondering if this type of pay would provide a good lifestyle for me my wife and our 2yr old. I'm a bit confused with various websites about costs of living, and most seem geared to students living in australia.

If anyone has the time to write back or post a link or two with useful info, Id appreciate it

Panos
Old May 6th 2004, 9:50 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 60,000 after taxes

Originally posted by kolakola
Hi,

I have a good opportunity to go to australia in the next year, the salary will be 60K A$. I will be most likely able to choose betweed sydney, melbourne, perth, adelaide.

I was wondering if this type of pay would provide a good lifestyle for me my wife and our 2yr old. I'm a bit confused with various websites about costs of living, and most seem geared to students living in australia.

If anyone has the time to write back or post a link or two with useful info, Id appreciate it

Panos

As my old man says LIVE within your means, this applies wherever you live !!!

Oz is no exception...

However 60k is a good wage , but not Fantastic for a young family, hope you have savings !
Old May 6th 2004, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

itsasecret is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
As my old man says LIVE within your means, this applies wherever you live !!!

Oz is no exception...

However 60k is a good wage , but not Fantastic for a young family, hope you have savings !
60k after taxes is very very good IMO.
Old May 6th 2004, 10:16 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by itsasecret
60k after taxes is very very good IMO.

60k about 25k gb then taxes and medicare, house rent furnishings car kids clothes nappies... hmm I dont think so
Old May 6th 2004, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick responses!

the 60.000 is AFTER taxes & healthcare. so its about 5000 a month. A little search I did on apartments in melbourne seemed to show a 1-2 bdroom as goin for about 1200/mo. which is about 25% of income, something that seems good on paper (considering in NY i was giving about 50%+ to rent )
Old May 6th 2004, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

the 60.000 is AFTER taxes & healthcare. so its about 5000 a month. A little search I did on apartments in melbourne seemed to show a 1-2 bdroom as goin for about 1200/mo. which is about 25% of income, something that seems good on paper (considering in NY i was giving about 50%+ to rent )
Your wage is more like a 100,000$au then.. Great wage.
Old May 6th 2004, 10:53 am
Banned

Originally posted by itsasecret
Your wage is more like a 100,000$au then.. Great wage.

Removes shoe from mouth, thats an exceptional wage !!!!
Old May 6th 2004, 11:27 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

If you cant survive on that sort of money here, then your vices are wayyyyyyy too expensive.

$5,000/month after tax is a damn good wage.

Anywhere in Australia.
Old May 6th 2004, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

My friend is a senior teacher with 3 children and earns a lot less than that- before tax (but they have paid off their house) in Melb. They have a holiday every school holiday even if it is camping, all the kids do extra cur. activities, etc etc.
your offer sounds a good salary to me
Old May 6th 2004, 11:51 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

No thats a shocking wage - I wouldn't bother. I'll tell you what, give me the contact name of the company that have made you the offer, and details of the job, answers you'd give at an interview etc, and I'll give them a call and tell 'em our not interested. If they then offer it to me it'll be a complete coincidence you understand!

Seriously, it sounds like a good offer. Hope you make a decision that makes you and the family happy. Good luck kolakola.
Old May 6th 2004, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Come on, now you know the good news.. tell us all what the job is?
Old May 6th 2004, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Default heh thanks

Well its a govt job at a consulate. Its good pay to make up for being 'forced' to live abroad The pay is about US$ 3800 a month, so I went on the current conversion rate. By the time I move out who knows where the wee lil' american dollar will be at.

Thanks again for the help