Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6 years experience?

6 years experience?

Old Jun 4th 2004, 1:30 pm
PaulLisaMoores

Unhappy 6 years experience?

I have just been in contact with a migration agency and was informed that for my profession(software developer) I need 6 years industry experience to be considered for acceptance. Is this correct as in all forms I have looked at it was around 4?????

Majorly gutted!

Please some1 tell me it aint so?

Cheers.

Old Jun 4th 2004, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
I'm afraid I can't answer your question as I really don't know. Hopefully you'll get your answer quickly though, there are a few migration agents that post on the board and are extremely helpful.

Best of luck with everything, I hope it all works out for you

Salli
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:02 pm
Account Closed

dazzac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 6 years experience?

Originally posted by PaulLisaMoores
I have just been in contact with a migration agency and was informed that for my profession(software developer) I need 6 years industry experience to be considered for acceptance. Is this correct as in all forms I have looked at it was around 4?????

Majorly gutted!

Please some1 tell me it aint so?

Cheers.
I don't think that is correct.
I'm in IT and I had some problems with experience.
Give 1st contact a call www.1stcontact.co.uk - they handled my application and will give you free advise over the phone.
I would'nt want to confuse you furthern so best get the info from those in the know. Depends on qualifications type of visa etc.

freephone number is 0800 039 3074

Good luck
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:15 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

Most IT skills are 60 point skills. You'll need to check with the DIMIA website though for clarification.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...oints_test.htm

That gives you some useful info on points based on the skilled migration category.

For example for me it translates to

Job - 60 points
Age - 25
English Lang Ability - 20
Work Exp - 10
Bond - 5

Which gets me 120 points (the new minimum as of 1st April - phew)

I have read something about needing 6 yrs experience though - worth doing a search on these boards, looking at the DIMIA site or contacting an agent

Cheers

Mark
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:17 pm
PaulLisaMoores

Default Apparently it is correct....

Rang www.1stcontact.co.uk and they said pretty much the same. Without a university degree(I have a HND software development) the industrial experience is 6 years. 4 with degree.

V dissapointed. Had my heart set on this. How long does the application process take anyhow?

Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:20 pm
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

For a skilled migration visa you're looking at a bit over 12 months from start to finish . Thats including a RPL (recognition of prior learning) assessment which takes a couple of months to come back.

Marko
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:30 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Time scales are about:

Skills Assessment - 3 / 4 months

Visa Application - 1 Year (approx)

You also must take into account the time it takes getting all relevent documentation together, filling it in, photos done, medicals and police checks and finally submitting it - long time

It's a long and painful road but worth it in the end.

Good luck !
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:36 pm
PaulLisaMoores

Default It would appear..

Mine is going to take slightly longer. Aaaaaahhhh well. The wait begins here.

Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Originally posted by phyonics
For a skilled migration visa you're looking at a bit over 12 months from start to finish . Thats including a RPL (recognition of prior learning) assessment which takes a couple of months to come back.

Marko
You can't do a RPL without 8 years experience and the agents you have spoken to are quite correct that you need 6 without a degree.
Old Jun 4th 2004, 3:49 pm
mickj

Default Re: Apparently it is correct....

You can always convert that HND into a degree mate, or get the extra 2yrs industrial experience. ! Annoying when that happens innit?

Originally posted by PaulLisaMoores
Rang www.1stcontact.co.uk and they said pretty much the same. Without a university degree(I have a HND software development) the industrial experience is 6 years. 4 with degree.

V dissapointed. Had my heart set on this. How long does the application process take anyhow?