Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6 weeks in Melbourne

6 weeks in Melbourne

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

pen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nice
Default 6 weeks in Melbourne

Hi guys,

After 6 weeks I thought I should finally get round to an update on our experiences, I know how much I liked reading them when I was in the UK.

Just as background to our move, there's the 2 of us, I'm 26 he's 33, we are here on a 457 visa through the company my partner has been working for over the last 4 years. We have both been to Aus before, we met here as backpackers and I had spent 6 weeks in melborune so we had an idea of what to expect, plus I have a friend here who I met travelling in Thailand.

If you're bored easily, stop reading here!

We left the Uk on 20th August, shattered and emotionally drained but happy to be on our way. We flew with emirates to dubai where we stopped for 2 days, it was great to stop, relax and have a mental break between uk and aus. Emirates were fine, I'm veggie and the food was good for an airplane and the inflight entertainment kept us just about sane.

Temporary Accomodation
Partners company paid for us to stay in Medina Apartments on Queen St in the city for the first 7 nights, was a nice place with gym and pool and had a microwave and fridge in our room. Was about $160 per night.
After 7 nights we moved to Unicity apartments on Lonsdale st, also in the city, we decided to stay in the city as my partner works there. This place is actually student accomodation but they rent out the spare rooms for $69 per night or $65 dollars per night for stays of more than a week and less if staying for a month. Our room had a double and single bed, tv, and full kitchen. They are serviced once a week but you can get fresh towels from reception. The reception staff are really helpful and friendly, we booked for 2 weeks, paid the deposit then changed to 2 nights and they refunded the difference and then we ended up staying for 4 nights which they were fine about.

Finding a rental
We knew that finding somewhere to live was going to be trying, getting used to everyone who wants the property turning up for the same 15 minute period or alternatively leaving a deposit and looking around the property on your own. We saw places I would consider a health and hazard, but eventually we found a great place in Elsternwick, saw it and applied for it the same day and the agent called the landlord who said we could take it. We chose Elsternwick beacuse its easy to get to the city and not far from the beach and has a buzzy atmosphere.

Setting up home
It took 3 days to get the electric turned on which was a pain but manageable, we hired a van and did the good guys, fantastic furniture and ikea in 1 day. By the end of the day we had the basics and the rest was delivered a few days later. It's true though that it's the little things you forget that cost money, we hired a car for the sunday of the same weekend and got the kitchen bits, crockery, pans etc, and it's amazing how buying everything at once adds up.

We got a car from a dealer a 2 year old focus, automatic. Lovely car, decided to buy through a dealer for piece of mind and ease.

So apart from the setting up stuff, we have been havng a good time, the people my partner works with are nice and happily include me in their friday night drinks. We have new neighbours who are also English so been good to compare notes with them. We have been to 2 AFL matches and watched the grand final at Punt Road oval next to the MCG on the weekend. We walk to the beach and having been checking out the many cafe's in Elsternwick.

My partners parents arrive tomorrow night, they were already due to be in Aus before we got the visa, we are looking forward to seeing them as it'll give us chance to get out and see things that we've been waiting to see. 2 and half weeks with them will give us an idea of what having visitors is like, will let you know!!

Overall, it's been hard and trying at times but generally it's been fun and have no thougths of returning to live in the uk!

Sorry if I've bored anyone to tears!

pen8uin
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 1:46 am
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 weeks in Melbourne

Originally Posted by pen8uin
Hi guys,

After 6 weeks I thought I should finally get round to an update on our experiences, I know how much I liked reading them when I was in the UK.

Just as background to our move, there's the 2 of us, I'm 26 he's 33, we are here on a 457 visa through the company my partner has been working for over the last 4 years. We have both been to Aus before, we met here as backpackers and I had spent 6 weeks in melborune so we had an idea of what to expect, plus I have a friend here who I met travelling in Thailand.

We left the Uk on 20th August, shattered and emotionally drained but happy to be on our way. We flew with emirates to dubai where we stopped for 2 days, it was great to stop, relax and have a mental break between uk and aus. Emirates were fine, I'm veggie and the food was good for an airplane and the inflight entertainment kept us just about sane.

Temporary Accomodation
Partners company paid for us to stay in Medina Apartments on Queen St in the city for the first 7 nights, was a nice place with gym and pool and had a microwave and fridge in our room. Was about $160 per night.
After 7 nights we moved to Unicity apartments on Lonsdale st, also in the city, we decided to stay in the city as my partner works there. This place is actually student accomodation but they rent out the spare rooms for $69 per night or $65 dollars per night for stays of more than a week and less if staying for a month. Our room had a double and single bed, tv, and full kitchen. They are serviced once a week but you can get fresh towels from reception. The reception staff are really helpful and friendly, we booked for 2 weeks, paid the deposit then changed to 2 nights and they refunded the difference and then we ended up staying for 4 nights which they were fine about.

Finding a rental
We knew that finding somewhere to live was going to be trying, getting used to everyone who wants the property turning up for the same 15 minute period or alternatively leaving a deposit and looking around the property on your own. We saw places I would consider a health and hazard, but eventually we found a great place in Elsternwick, saw it and applied for it the same day and the agent called the landlord who said we could take it. We chose Elsternwick beacuse its easy to get to the city and not far from the beach and has a buzzy atmosphere.

Setting up home
It took 3 days to get the electric turned on which was a pain but manageable, we hired a van and did the good guys, fantastic furniture and ikea in 1 day. By the end of the day we had the basics and the rest was delivered a few days later. It's true though that it's the little things you forget that cost money, we hired a car for the sunday of the same weekend and got the kitchen bits, crockery, pans etc, and it's amazing how buying everything at once adds up.

We got a car from a dealer a 2 year old focus, automatic. Lovely car, decided to buy through a dealer for piece of mind and ease.

So apart from the setting up stuff, we have been havng a good time, the people my partner works with are nice and happily include me in their friday night drinks. We have new neighbours who are also English so been good to compare notes with them. We have been to 2 AFL matches and watched the grand final at Punt Road oval next to the MCG on the weekend. We walk to the beach and having been checking out the many cafe's in Elsternwick.

My partners parents arrive tomorrow night, they were already due to be in Aus before we got the visa, we are looking forward to seeing them as it'll give us chance to get out and see things that we've been waiting to see. 2 and half weeks with them will give us an idea of what having visitors is like, will let you know!!

Overall, it's been hard and trying at times but generally it's been fun and have no thougths of returning to live in the uk!

pen8uin

Great Post

Glad you are settling in well

Fee
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Temporary Accomodation

Finding a rental

Setting up home

pen8uin
It always chokes me reading these threads as it brings the memories back of our first couple of weeks, stressful and teary.
Nearly 2 years on we have done so much, and achieved so much, and cant wait to write my 2 yr update, so much has happend.
Good luck to you both and lots of happiness.
Denise x
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
It always chokes me reading these threads as it brings the memories back of our first couple of weeks, stressful and teary.
Nearly 2 years on we have done so much, and achieved so much, and cant wait to write my 2 yr update, so much has happend.
Good luck to you both and lots of happiness.
Denise x

Sod the two year update, do it now

pen8uin, really glad you are settling OK, it is stressful at first, but it does get easier when all the major things are out of the way. Try to make sure you take time out to have some fun
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Sod the two year update, do it now

pen8uin, really glad you are settling OK, it is stressful at first, but it does get easier when all the major things are out of the way. Try to make sure you take time out to have some fun
l ol, when im in the right mood, i will.
Denise
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:42 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Good post Pen, ever thought of a career in journalism?

It keeps getting better believe me, good to hear you like the AFL, heres hoping you become a Bombers fan.

Wonder if I should do a 7 year update.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:44 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

We've got enough for an Elsternwick locals only meet

Glad you're settling in well.....Elsternwick is a great suburb with buzz but without the masses of tourists.....if you like that St Kilda's just down the road
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

pen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nicepen8uin is just really nice

Thanks for all the replys guys. just glad some of it was interesting!!
pen8uin
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bordy
Good post Pen, ever thought of a career in journalism?

It keeps getting better believe me, good to hear you like the AFL, heres hoping you become a Bombers fan.

Wonder if I should do a 7 year update.
Already a saints fan I'm afraid, I lived in st kilda for 6 weeks when I was first in Aus! Partner is going for the bombers as his melbourne team, he's a (not so happy) sydney fan!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:05 am
Just Joined

mattc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Temporary Accomodation

Finding a rental

Setting up home

pen8uin
Great post. My partner and I are in exactly the same situation, and we're flying out on the 14th October.

Matt
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:07 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattc
Great post. My partner and I are in exactly the same situation, and we're flying out on the 14th October.

Matt
Hi, where you moving to?
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Hi, where you moving to?
Not really decided yet - any suggestions gratefully received!

My company's putting us up at the south end of Albert Park for 3 weeks.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:13 am
Take it easy

Originally Posted by mattc
Not really decided yet - any suggestions gratefully received!

My company's putting us up at the south end of Albert Park for 3 weeks.
Depends what your plans are. Where are you working, what do you want to live near....sea/countryside/buzzing lifestyle....buying or renting and how much do you want to pay?

South end of Albert Park is great....not far from CBD/southbank and not far from St Kilda.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

Good post pen.
We're moving to Melbourne in about four weeks (gulp ) and hadn't really thought about Elsternwick, probably cos i don't know much about it!
I stayed in Prahran when I was there before, and know St Kilda fairly well, but never got to Elsternwick.
How long does it take on the train into the city? Sounds like there are plenty of bars/restaurants?
And is it pretty good value for renting? Had started considering renting in the west, around Yarraville, because it looked more reasonable price-wise but I think I'd rather be in the eastern suburbs.
Glad you're enjoying it so far!
Dianne
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Depends what your plans are. Where are you working, what do you want to live near....sea/countryside/buzzing lifestyle....buying or renting and how much do you want to pay?

South end of Albert Park is great....not far from CBD/southbank and not far from St Kilda.
I'll be working on City Road initially, but it's for a consultancy so could be posted anywhere round the city. We're both city people, so would like somewhere fairly central, I think, with lots of nightlife, but I have always wanted to live near the sea...and we'll be renting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.