Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:12 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
JG04's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Very GC.
Posts: 205
JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice
Default 6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

Thought it was about time I posted my thoughts on our 3 months here in Oz. What to say? You read so many posts, positive and negative. I'll just tell it how it has been.
I suppose we've been lucky in some ways and unlucky in others. Arrived and were transported to a large, rent free house on a lake with a/c and a pool, what more could we ask for?!! Housesitting for past Aussie colleagues that we worked with in the UK who had decided to return to the UK for another year. We're here till January when their daughter takes over. One stipulation was to look after their dog which was fine, she was very loveable and we became quite attached. However, she was 112 in human years and unfortunately had to be put to sleep yesterday as her kidneys failed. It was very upsetting and we miss her dreadfully but we knew she was on borrowed time and it was for the best.
Anyway I will say no more about Mitza except we're quite sad because we got photos of her developed and I've now been looking longingly in pet shops at puppies!
Life's good on the Gold Coast. It's an interesting place, many others on here have commented on the rows of pastel housing estates and I won't deny that is true. But, there's loads to do and it's great for families. We don't have kids and are considering trying out Brissie when we leave this house but do like the open spaces here, the beaches etc.
Initially it was a long holiday, spending money, doing touristy things and then we realised we needed to find jobs. We didn't have property in the UK to sell so only came out here with our savings.
Finding jobs has been more difficult than expected. I, somewhat naively, thought as a teacher I would walk into a job, as has been the case in the past, but this is a popular place and competition for places in high. I've fallen back on my TEFL qualification and am working in Surfers at an English College. It's fine but not what I want to do long term. Steve, the scientist, is constantly being told he is 'too senior' which is frustrating. He is working at a pharmaceutical place, very low down the ladder but is prepared to work his way up and obviously will continue to look for jobs elsewhere.
We are determined to stay. Have been looking at alternative permanent work locations, Sydney, Melbourne etc but would rather stay here.

We spend time at Main Beach, get up at 6am(!!!!) stroll(in my case) or jog(in Steve's case) along the beach then have brekkie at the Surf Club. We play tennis, swim, cycle, have been horseriding, gone to the theme parks, Mount Tambourine, went to Canberra to visit rellies (interesting place!). Family are coming to stay for Xmas so looking forward to that. Have curbed the spending a little until we get permanent jobs which I hope will not be too far away as I want to join a rowing club and continue horse riding lessons.

Oz is good. It has been harder in some ways than expected but it could have been worse! We try to stay positive and know that it will all work out in the end, this is where we want to be and at least we've got each other!! (awww!!) The wine and beer are cheap and tasty, I think the people are very friendly, we've met some great expats on this site, we have a fantastic view from our bedroom and the sun shines most of the time(!!) Yes we could focus on the negatives but what's the point? I know it's a cliche but it's true, 'it's what you make it'.

I'll finish now realising from reading this that I've given no solid advice! We are going to keep going, trying to achieve what we want from life here. We have to or it's back to the UK (we used to live in Woking!) and we can't have that!

Jo & Steve
JG04 is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:37 pm
  #2  
Chocoholic
 
Juliecabs's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Betchworth, Surrey.
Posts: 2,899
Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

Sorry about the dog. Must be strange being without her, but I'm glad you're settling ok.
Take care.
Julie.
Juliecabs is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:51 pm
  #3  
Ok this isn't so bad
 
Stitch's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Dundee (Scotland) now Bayside Brisbane
Posts: 4,824
Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

Brought a tear to my eye! Enjoy.

Cheers

Ginny
Stitch is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2005, 1:59 pm
  #4  
 
Issie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,918
Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

Good post....tha house sounds fab it's a pity you have to give it up in January though. Poor Mitza, but still a good age 112 doggy years.

Hope you continue to enjoy Oz, it sounds as though nothing will stop you either
Issie is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2005, 2:36 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
lawlaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Cremorne, Sydney
Posts: 706
lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default Re: 6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

thanks for sharing, i love reading others settling stories, hope it all pans out for you
lawlaw is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2005, 3:19 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
nicola411's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Tallebudgera
Posts: 607
nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

Originally Posted by JG04
Thought it was about time I posted my thoughts on our 3 months here in Oz. What to say? You read so many posts, positive and negative. I'll just tell it how it has been.
I suppose we've been lucky in some ways and unlucky in others. Arrived and were transported to a large, rent free house on a lake with a/c and a pool, what more could we ask for?!! Housesitting for past Aussie colleagues that we worked with in the UK who had decided to return to the UK for another year. We're here till January when their daughter takes over. One stipulation was to look after their dog which was fine, she was very loveable and we became quite attached. However, she was 112 in human years and unfortunately had to be put to sleep yesterday as her kidneys failed. It was very upsetting and we miss her dreadfully but we knew she was on borrowed time and it was for the best.
Anyway I will say no more about Mitza except we're quite sad because we got photos of her developed and I've now been looking longingly in pet shops at puppies!
Life's good on the Gold Coast. It's an interesting place, many others on here have commented on the rows of pastel housing estates and I won't deny that is true. But, there's loads to do and it's great for families. We don't have kids and are considering trying out Brissie when we leave this house but do like the open spaces here, the beaches etc.
Initially it was a long holiday, spending money, doing touristy things and then we realised we needed to find jobs. We didn't have property in the UK to sell so only came out here with our savings.
Finding jobs has been more difficult than expected. I, somewhat naively, thought as a teacher I would walk into a job, as has been the case in the past, but this is a popular place and competition for places in high. I've fallen back on my TEFL qualification and am working in Surfers at an English College. It's fine but not what I want to do long term. Steve, the scientist, is constantly being told he is 'too senior' which is frustrating. He is working at a pharmaceutical place, very low down the ladder but is prepared to work his way up and obviously will continue to look for jobs elsewhere.
We are determined to stay. Have been looking at alternative permanent work locations, Sydney, Melbourne etc but would rather stay here.

We spend time at Main Beach, get up at 6am(!!!!) stroll(in my case) or jog(in Steve's case) along the beach then have brekkie at the Surf Club. We play tennis, swim, cycle, have been horseriding, gone to the theme parks, Mount Tambourine, went to Canberra to visit rellies (interesting place!). Family are coming to stay for Xmas so looking forward to that. Have curbed the spending a little until we get permanent jobs which I hope will not be too far away as I want to join a rowing club and continue horse riding lessons.

Oz is good. It has been harder in some ways than expected but it could have been worse! We try to stay positive and know that it will all work out in the end, this is where we want to be and at least we've got each other!! (awww!!) The wine and beer are cheap and tasty, I think the people are very friendly, we've met some great expats on this site, we have a fantastic view from our bedroom and the sun shines most of the time(!!) Yes we could focus on the negatives but what's the point? I know it's a cliche but it's true, 'it's what you make it'.

I'll finish now realising from reading this that I've given no solid advice! We are going to keep going, trying to achieve what we want from life here. We have to or it's back to the UK (we used to live in Woking!) and we can't have that!

Jo & Steve
HI Jo and Steve,

We are hoping to move to the gold coast when we get our visa and hope to run a business there too. Could you give us a tiny bit of negative re the place in your next email please.

thanks

Nicola
nicola411 is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2005, 6:44 pm
  #7  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 671
ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Re: 6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

Great post guys........very similar attitude to ourselves!
Onwards and upwards!
We are in Ockham btw.....(next village along from Ripley) so know EXACTLY what you mean about not wanting to come back to Woking (hole!!)

ROBnCAZ is offline  
Old Nov 26th 2005, 10:49 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
JG04's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Very GC.
Posts: 205
JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice
Default Re: 6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

Thanks for the replies everyone. Nicola411 you asked me to highlight negative points. I don't like to focus on that side as I'm sure it is different for everyone who comes out here. For us it is really just the delay in securing permanent employment (which I'm sure we will sort out!). We could be a hell of a lot worse off!
We didn't expect to be living on the Gold Coast, we had planned to start in Brissie but when we were asked to housesit we jumped at the chance! In my humble opinion GC is very spaceous and I sometimes find it frustrating having to drive everywhere as public transport (where we are) isn't that reliable. We can drive to the station and hop on the train which is fine. We have always enjoyed going out, lived very close to a station in England and had access to all kinds of resources on our doorstep so having to make an effort to get to restaurants, shops etc has taken a bit of getting used to. I am not whingeing, please don't think I am! I am getting used to it very quickly and would most definitely rather be here!
In the more populated areas like Southport, Surfers, Broadbeach etc I would think the public transport would be fine and of course you have all the shopping malls, restaurants etc. We got a train to Nerang then a bus into Surfers for a night out, it wasn't that much hassle. (Wouldn't like to live in Surfers though!)
I can't think of anything else negative to say, looking back on my post I don't think these points are that bad at all! Mozzies!!!! Little B*"X*^*s!!! They bother me, but I have just bought the strongest repellent I could find! Magpies!! Watch out they attack!!! It's the truth! and everyone's favourite.......spiders! Enough said!
Anyway, we are happy, that's the main thing. We're not settled yet and won't be until we've sorted out employment and have moved into our own place but that will come. We worked hard to get here and this is where we are staying!
JG04 is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2005, 1:57 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: A land far far away
Posts: 1,149
Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

You are quite right, anywhere is better than Woking!! Friends of our have just moved back there and are so unhappy it's unreal.

Great post. Hope things continue to improve for you on the job front.
Wave the Sails is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2005, 11:59 am
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
nicola411's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Tallebudgera
Posts: 607
nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

Originally Posted by JG04
Thanks for the replies everyone. Nicola411 you asked me to highlight negative points. I don't like to focus on that side as I'm sure it is different for everyone who comes out here. For us it is really just the delay in securing permanent employment (which I'm sure we will sort out!). We could be a hell of a lot worse off!
We didn't expect to be living on the Gold Coast, we had planned to start in Brissie but when we were asked to housesit we jumped at the chance! In my humble opinion GC is very spaceous and I sometimes find it frustrating having to drive everywhere as public transport (where we are) isn't that reliable. We can drive to the station and hop on the train which is fine. We have always enjoyed going out, lived very close to a station in England and had access to all kinds of resources on our doorstep so having to make an effort to get to restaurants, shops etc has taken a bit of getting used to. I am not whingeing, please don't think I am! I am getting used to it very quickly and would most definitely rather be here!
In the more populated areas like Southport, Surfers, Broadbeach etc I would think the public transport would be fine and of course you have all the shopping malls, restaurants etc. We got a train to Nerang then a bus into Surfers for a night out, it wasn't that much hassle. (Wouldn't like to live in Surfers though!)
I can't think of anything else negative to say, looking back on my post I don't think these points are that bad at all! Mozzies!!!! Little B*"X*^*s!!! They bother me, but I have just bought the strongest repellent I could find! Magpies!! Watch out they attack!!! It's the truth! and everyone's favourite.......spiders! Enough said!
Anyway, we are happy, that's the main thing. We're not settled yet and won't be until we've sorted out employment and have moved into our own place but that will come. We worked hard to get here and this is where we are staying!

Hi guys,

Thanks for that. As we dont use public transport (other than to get back from the pub - taxi) that doesnt sound too bad.

The insects are always going to be a prob though. Are there lots of flies as well? I think most migrants find getting a job a hassle unless of course they have already secured one while they were still over here. I am sure it will all come at once and then you guys will probably be offered more than a couple of jobs each! all the best

Nicola
nicola411 is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2005, 12:12 pm
  #11  
Master of verbal pish©
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 22,194
soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

great stuff jo, brill post. one of the most detailed ive seen in ages. it was a fantastic read. sorry to hear about the wee dug but at least u have the photos and spent a bit of time with the dog.
shame u dont have work yet, but it must feel great being a kept wumin
oh tell steve i sold his boxers to a bunch of clowns who wanted them for a big top
told them they would need to get some DAZ to get the skid marks oot
keep us posted mate. glad to hear u are well.
boab
soapy© is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:43 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
JG04's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Very GC.
Posts: 205
JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice
Default Re: 6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

Hi Boab,

Me a kept wumin?!!! Chance would be a fine thing! Have a day off today though and am going to the hairdressers!! Could easily spend my days doing this!
As I write the household has increased by 2 dogs, 2 guinea pigs and a goldfish!!! I speak the truth!!!! That's another story! Hi to everyone in Sydney!

Originally Posted by soapy
great stuff jo, brill post. one of the most detailed ive seen in ages. it was a fantastic read. sorry to hear about the wee dug but at least u have the photos and spent a bit of time with the dog.
shame u dont have work yet, but it must feel great being a kept wumin
oh tell steve i sold his boxers to a bunch of clowns who wanted them for a big top
told them they would need to get some DAZ to get the skid marks oot
keep us posted mate. glad to hear u are well.
boab
JG04 is offline  
Old Nov 27th 2005, 8:53 pm
  #13  
Master of verbal pish©
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 22,194
soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 slabs of coldies, 3 cases of wine and 1 deceased dog later......

Originally Posted by JG04
Hi Boab,

Me a kept wumin?!!! Chance would be a fine thing! Have a day off today though and am going to the hairdressers!! Could easily spend my days doing this!
As I write the household has increased by 2 dogs, 2 guinea pigs and a goldfish!!! I speak the truth!!!! That's another story! Hi to everyone in Sydney!
sounds like a farm steve will fit right in lol
tell him to get the beers chilled for feb he he he
soapy© is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.