Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6 months on in Brisbane

Wikiposts

6 months on in Brisbane

Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:16 am
WBB

Originally posted by PADDAD
I can see I shall have to tread carefully here so I'll quote "Ipswich is considered to have a lower socio economic group" - this has come from no less than 4 estate agents and a number of Australians that we have come into contact with - it appears that it is no secret that Ipswich is viewed this way - check it out and you'll see for yourself. I hope this makes you less confused.
i already knew this, what confuses me is why they would be less sociable?????

Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Diana
thanks for your reply, Bellbowrie is somewhere we've looked at (on the net) also Victoria Point and Albany Creek! but obviously won't know till we get there
best wishes to you again
hugs
rach, mark and chanelle x

Nosuchluck - we live in Bellbowrie which is about a 35 minutes drive to the city (off peak). It's taken a while but I've really fallen in love with the place. However if I had to choose an ideal location it would be 'Wellington Point' - gorgeous but a fair distance from the city (about 45 minutes to an hour I think).

Anyway, best of luck to all those still waiting, your time will come!

Diana [/QUOTE]
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

PADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to allPADDAD is a name known to all

Originally posted by WBB
i already knew this, what confuses me is why they would be less sociable?????
Oh dear you're in the mood for quibbling aren't you, but I'll elaborate for you - Patrick is as sociable as they come, by this I mean he goes out of his way to introduce himself and talk to people. The people at this particular Ipswich club make no effort whatsoever to the point of ignoring him completely. Squash is a very competitive but sociable game but they are there purely for the exercise I suppose hence ' less sociable ' . I hope this clarifies my meaning.

Now I must get to work.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:57 am
WBB

Oh dear you're in the mood for quibbling aren't you, but I'll elaborate for you - Patrick is as sociable as they come, by this I mean he goes out of his way to introduce himself and talk to people. The people at this particular Ipswich club make no effort whatsoever to the point of ignoring him completely. Squash is a very competitive but sociable game but they are there purely for the exercise I suppose hence ' less sociable ' . I hope this clarifies my meaning.

Now I must get to work.
i best not reply to this because i might offend you.

Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Diana
thanks for your reply, Bellbowrie is somewhere we've looked at (on the net) also Victoria Point and Albany Creek! but obviously won't know till we get there
best wishes to you again
hugs
rach, mark and chanelle x
You are looking in some nice area's then

Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:35 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I can see I shall have to tread carefully here so I'll quote "Ipswich is considered to have a lower socio economic group" - this has come from no less than 4 estate agents and a number of Australians that we have come into contact with - it appears that it is no secret that Ipswich is viewed this way - check it out and you'll see for yourself. I hope this makes you less confused.

I've only been to Ipswich a couple of times but I've never met a true Brisburnian who had anything good to say about it. I understand the residents of Moggill have campaigned for years to prevent having a bridge built to connect the two!
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Default ABCDiamond

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
You are looking in some nice area's then
Do you know something i don't then? not sure if that was a sarcastic smile or not???
rach
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:01 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: ABCDiamond

Do you know something i don't then? not sure if that was a sarcastic smile or not???
rach
Sorry for the confusion. I live in Victoria Point, and I like it here
It also doesn't get as hot as inland, due to being so close to the water.

Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Inneedofchange is an unknown quantity at this point

rach
Yeah = how do you find out about the good suburbs and the bad ones?
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Inneedofchange
Yeah = how do you find out about the good suburbs and the bad ones?
I think this site can be a great source of info, from those of us that are here.

But always remember, whats good to one person is not good to another.

I like Victoria Point because it suits me. If you want to be in the city centre every evening, it wouldn't suit you.

Do a search on a suburb name that you are interested in, and you will see what has been mentioned.
Do a search on Woodridge, and you will know one to avoid !!

Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

I think this site can be a great source of info, from those of us that are here.

But always remember, whats good to one person is not good to another.

I like Victoria Point because it suits me. If you want to be in the city centre every evening, it wouldn't suit you.

Do a search on a suburb name that you are interested in, and you will see what has been mentioned.
Do a search on Woodridge, and you will know one to avoid !!
Sounds great to me ABCDiamond, we don't want to be in a rowdy town, have that here in Bournemouth on Sea!
have an 11 year old daughter so need to consider her needs too, ie. schools etc.
Thanks for your comments, they are very much appreciated
kind regards
rach x
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:27 am
ABCDiamond

Sounds great to me ABCDiamond, we don't want to be in a rowdy town, have that here in Bournemouth on Sea!
have an 11 year old daughter so need to consider her needs too, ie. schools etc.
Thanks for your comments, they are very much appreciated
kind regards
rach x
We've got a 7 yr old daughter, and I feel comfortable in this area for her sake too. I'm a bit of an overprotective father, and this area seems pretty safe. We did live down in Western Sydney, and you wouldn't leave your kids alone outside. But here I see 6 year olds walking to school without parents. She once asked when she could go to school on her own, I said when she is 18 !
She thought I was joking I did say I was "overprotective"

Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

We've got a 7 yr old daughter, and I feel comfortable in this area for her sake too. I'm a bit of an overprotective father, and this area seems pretty safe. We did live down in Western Sydney, and you wouldn't leave your kids alone outside. But here I see 6 year olds walking to school without parents. She once asked when she could go to school on her own, I said when she is 18 !
She thought I was joking I did say I was "overprotective"

ABCDiamond, there is nothing wrong with being overprotective, especially in this day and age, gone our the days that kids were safe i'm afraid. Victoria Point seems like a good starting place for us, it will be the first place we will look at when we land! What are the house prices like at the moment?
take care
regards
rach
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:45 am
ABCDiamond

ABCDiamond, there is nothing wrong with being overprotective, especially in this day and age, gone our the days that kids were safe i'm afraid. Victoria Point seems like a good starting place for us, it will be the first place we will look at when we land! What are the house prices like at the moment?
take care
regards
rach
Houses are from about $290,000 for a 3 bed house. Have you looked at
www.realestate.com.au.

I know a good "non pushy" real estate guy locally, who happily drives you round looking at available houses. Let me know if you want to contact him when you come to the area.

Brand new houses tend to start at about $400k for a 4 bed house. There are a few new developments going up in the area.

When are you going to be moving ?

Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Houses are from about $290,000 for a 3 bed house. Have you looked at
www.realestate.com.au.

I know a good "non pushy" real estate guy locally, who happily drives you round looking at available houses. Let me know if you want to contact him when you come to the area.

Brand new houses tend to start at about $400k for a 4 bed house. There are a few new developments going up in the area.

When are you going to be moving ?
Thank you, have looked at the link before, spent hours drooling over property, seems a bit daft now as we only had our acknowledgment in October, so have a long wait yet, we are thinking of front loading in the hope that it will speed things up!
A 'non pushy' real estate agent, that must be a first, i am a secretary for Countrywide Estate Agents and am positive they were all Dick Turpin in a previous life!
thanks again for taking the time to 'chat'
regards
rach

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.