Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6 months in and 10 things I hate

6 months in and 10 things I hate

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road
Default 6 months in and 10 things I hate

Having been accused of failing to post anything useful or constructive I thought I'd chuck my 2 cents worth in on this old topic.

1. Stamp Duty.
This is a tax on written documents including HP, mortgage and leasing, insurance, car transfer and registration and property transfer. You are looking at 10k in WA on a property of $300k and 2.5k on a $40k car. The reason I hate it is it is applied to second hand vehicle so the tax is paid over and over again!

2. Multa Novas (similar to Gatsos).
In principle I don't have an issue. Yes they are hidden in bushes and side roads, even private driveways. The only warning you see is a small faded sign about 100m after the camera. Fair enough you might say but I have noticed several setup just before an increase in speed limits applies. Revenue earners? you decide. If they are there to reduce road deaths (which haven't reduced in WA actually) then why aren't they set up where the hoons like to do burnouts and road races at night?

3. Politicians.
They treat the Australian public like idiots. OK I've never been able to trust a politician but they could at least lie convincingly!

4. Flight prices
It's dammed expensive to fly anywhere. EG Perth to Brisbane seems to be approx. $150 more than Brisbane to Perth??? WA even seems to pay a premium even if the destination is closer to us than the eastern states.

5. Banks.
To quote a previous comment "charge like wounded bulls". The fact they charge at all for having your cash is taking the mickey these days. FWIW HSBC don't charge and pay reasonable interest and Virgin has a no fee credit card.

Petty stuff now

6. People barefoot in supermarkets.

Look I know they don't pick up apples with their feet (I'd pay to see that) but it just gets to me.

7. Prices.

I'm sure most of you are aware but it really strikes home when you're spending dollars that haven't been converted. Most things I look at are about the same price as they are in the UK. IMO only fuel and Housing is cheaper.

8. Clothing quality

Bloody appalling or a second mortgage for good quality. Try buying cotton business shirts here, you're looking at $100 plus. If anyone knows better, please let me know.

9. Indian Food.

I miss anglo indian food. I've tried and can never re-create my favourites. The fact my culinary expertise runs to scrambled eggs a la Delia may have something to do with it!

10 "Too Easy"

I haven't heard this one often but it makes my skin crawl. If it's "too easy" mate you've only done half the job!

Well there you go. I've had my say.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 2:36 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Good to hear your enjoying Aus
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Bordy
Good to hear your enjoying Aus
Wait for it lovely boy
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 3:09 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

take it your coming home then!
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by plumber
take it your coming home then!
I might have another beer first
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Nah, you strike me as a 'stayer', what do you think you'll do? Hope the job hunting is going ok
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:28 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

When do we get the sequal

6 months in ....10 things I love

or do you not have 10.

We are going with an open mind....expecting things to be very very different from here.................else there aint no point in us going at all, may as well stay home

Chill and go with the flow.....hope you find some positive things soon!!!!!

Ps the bare foot in the supermarket ....whats the probs there....now if i was bare foot and there was people walkin about with shitty shoes then thats a reason to winge lol
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Biggy

Fair play to Nibbs, he has posted 10 things he loves, they are a few posts back!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:56 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

There is a 10 things I love one!

We need links in both threads I believe

6 months in and 10 things I love

And thanks for all your comments Nibbs!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 10:01 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 months in and 10 things I hate

9. Indian Food.

I miss anglo indian food. I've tried and can never re-create my favourites. The fact my culinary expertise runs to scrambled eggs a la Delia may have something to do with it!

I might be wrong, but we havn't found it yet, but you can't get chicken tikka masalla over here!! Classy me eh, now wheres me Lambrini gone
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Nibbs did'nt think that was too bad as I read the 10 things you love first.
Could be a lot worse as far as I am concerned there is bound to be a load more further down the line.
Then again lots of things love and dislike about UK its all relevant
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by HUP
I might be wrong, but we havn't found it yet, but you can't get chicken tikka masalla over here!! Classy me eh, now wheres me Lambrini gone
I think that's because it was purely invented for the English pallet - its not authentic. Maybe some British Indians should migrate to Aus and set up a line of curry shops for us Pomeys...
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Have to agree with all your points. I'll add to some of your comments:

1. Stamp Duty - like that isn't bad enough when moving house, the estate agents fees are ridiculous too, something like $12,000 on a $300k house.

4. Flight prices - Surely there would be more folks holidaying interstate and visiting relatives if the prices were more reasonable. Now that Virgin has a foot in the door, can we hope to see some improvement? My husband is flying from Rome to London Stansted next week and guess how much it's costing him? 9 Euros - or $29!! We'd love to go with the kids over to Sydney, Tasmania, New Zealand etc. but just can't afford it.

5. Banks - we're with the Commonwealth but have a savings account with HSBC. The only thing that's stopping me from using it as a day-to-day account is that the nearest branch is 75kms away in Perth.

6. Barefoot - yep there are bare feet everywhere you go. At school the kids all do running barefoot in PE. Even I've taken to going out in the garden barefoot which is something I never used to do, I suppose it's warmer here, but you won't catch me doing my shopping barefoot! When I've been walking the dog on the beach, it's a hassle cleaning out the sand between your toes in order to put your shoes on, so I have jumped into the car barefoot and driven off, it was quicker and I wasn't going far. At the swimming pool, plenty of people don't bother getting dressed after swimming, they just wrap their towel round their waist and go home like that (with their cossie on underneath of course )

7. Prices - since moving here and "starting afresh" as it were, I've been logging all my receipts, bills and other household expenditure in a spreadsheet. Once you get out of the habit of converting back into pounds and thinking how cheap everything is, you realise it isn't in fact. Ok petrol is cheaper and maybe a few other things, but overall, I think my groceries bill is higher, and because it's hot we're eating lots of salads and fresh fruit, it ought to be cheaper. Visitors last year brought us an Argos catalogue, and it appears we've paid over the top for many new appliances too. Think really hard before selling your furniture and appliances hoping to buy cheaper out here!

8. Clothing quality - what I wouldn't give for a visit to a British High Street to buy some decent clothes and undies!

9. Indian food - last time we had an Indian meal was in England, two years ago. Plenty of Chinese restaurants around here, but not Indian.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:01 am
Badge

1. Stamp Duty.
It's a bummer.but then I think of Stamp in the UK, and VAT vs GST.

2. Multa Novas (similar to Gatsos).
I was horrified to hear VIC had a zero policy to speeding but hardly seen any cameras in obscene places.

3. Politicians.
I like the politics here. Same crap, but less instutionalised, less pompous. Funnier to listen to. FWIW, Howard strikes me as a normal manager running any large corporate (not saying I like his policies or not), not a wannabe like Blair.

4. Flight prices
As you say, a bummer for WAs. Here in Melbourne and Sydney we have the crop to pick from.

5. Banks.
Use your account sensibly and hey presto - no charges.

6. People barefoot in supermarkets.

I love this. Makes everything seem more relaxed and less stiff.

7. Prices.
Agreed. I am on good money so most things are cheaper for me - even in real terms. Groceries and some electrical goods are more expensive (or for me the same), but the biggies, fuel, and housing defo cheaper. For me, 3 times cheaper, AND I get a house as in own fence and own land, AND a big deposit to boot.

In real terms, for me, fuel is over 3 times cheaper, and I drive at more economical speeds, and use diesel.

8. Clothing quality

Hmmm. Look hard enough and you will find.

9. Indian Food.

Cook my own.

10 "Too Easy"

A bit annoying. Prefer 'No worries'.

Last edited by badgersmount; Mar 23rd 2004 at 11:04 am.

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Nibbs,

I think your 20 posts in total - 10 positive, 10 negative are well balanced.

Good on yer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.