Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6 month evaluation

6 month evaluation

Old Aug 25th 2004, 2:23 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 6 month evaluation

Well we've been here 6 months so heres a quick list of the good and the bad so far:

The good stuff:
1. Sunshine (predictable I know but so beautiful at the moment)
2. Friendliness - people smile in the street and strangers show a real interest in you.
3. The city - Brisbane is a clean, bright city centre with good facilities and transport, family friendly and grown up stuff too.
4. Eating out - almost without exception, quality and value exceeds the uk by a mile, from cafes to restaurants.
5. Being paid fortnightly - strange one but this seems to suit us really well!!!
6. Driving - contrary to a lot of posts on here, I find driving more pleasurable here and less stressful.
7. Phonecards - I can speak to friends in the uk for an hour for less than it cost me when I lived there, huge, huge help when homesickness strikes.

The not so good stuff:
1. Shopping - really struggle to find clothes I like, there are shops in the valley and here and there elsewhere but they are very expensive. Shoes and jeans are the hardest to find.
2. BBQ culture - am already a bit jaded on the old barbies, sometimes feel like a stepford wife.
3. Celery - am partial to beetroot so I'm happy to eat that with everything but the celery bothers me a lot.
4. Flight fares - we have a uk fund but it wont go far with the prices here.
5. Craft - may be particular to this area but am running out of excuses not to attend scrapbooking parties??????
6. Work - we are fortunate in both getting jobs with comparable salaries to uk, but I'm finding that nursing here is very different, and clinical practice is behind what i was used to in the uk, that said i've only worked in one place so far so that may not be representative.
7. TV - Just apalling in every way!

The verdict: the juries out, we'll stick with the original 2 year plan so its early days.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 2:47 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Default Re: 6 month evaluation

Originally Posted by mcmercer
Well we've been here 6 months so heres a quick list of the good and the bad so far:

The good stuff:
2. Friendliness - people smile in the street and strangers show a real interest in you.
3. The city - Brisbane is a clean, bright city centre with good facilities and transport, family friendly and grown up stuff too.
4. Eating out - almost without exception, quality and value exceeds the uk by a mile, from cafes to restaurants.
5. Being paid fortnightly - strange one but this seems to suit us really well!!!
6. Driving - contrary to a lot of posts on here, I find driving more pleasurable here and less stressful.
7. Phonecards - I can speak to friends in the uk for an hour for less than it cost me when I lived there, huge, huge help when homesickness strikes.

The not so good stuff:
1. Shopping - really struggle to find clothes I like, there are shops in the valley and here and there elsewhere but they are very expensive. Shoes and jeans are the hardest to find.
2. BBQ culture - am already a bit jaded on the old barbies, sometimes feel like a stepford wife.
3. Celery - am partial to beetroot so I'm happy to eat that with everything but the celery bothers me a lot.
5. Craft - may be particular to this area but am running out of excuses not to attend scrapbooking parties??????
6. Work - we are fortunate in both getting jobs with comparable salaries to uk, but I'm finding that nursing here is very different, and clinical practice is behind what i was used to in the uk, that said i've only worked in one place so far so that may not be representative.

The verdict: the juries out, we'll stick with the original 2 year plan so its early days.
Hi mcmercer, how ya doing

Compared to you I'm a puppy and still in honeymoon period [only been here 6 weeks]...but so far we have found Brissy is a lovely place, lovely people

Yep there are some good and not so good stuff as you've said...and "people sickness" comes and goes....but on the whole its 100% better than I thought it would be

Old Aug 25th 2004, 3:57 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Hi mcmercer, how ya doing

Compared to you I'm a puppy and still in honeymoon period [only been here 6 weeks]...but so far we have found Brissy is a lovely place, lovely people

Yep there are some good and not so good stuff as you've said...and "people sickness" comes and goes....but on the whole its 100% better than I thought it would be
Hiya PUK,
I think critisism of the 'honeymoon period'is unfair, as plenty of people find the beginning very difficult, so if your first impressions are good then you've got a better chance I think!
I was initially surprised at how much I like it here, as I was an ambivalent emigrant from the start, but now real life has well and truly set in I am a little more critical, wondering if the lifestyle which is undeniably great is worth the sacrifice of the people? Havnt got an answer yet!!!
That said, even in my darker moments I've not regreted coming, and would still recomend it, you get experiences and emotions that I dont think any other situation would produce.
I hope your positivity continues!!!!
Michaela x
Old Aug 25th 2004, 4:02 am
Perthite

holte end is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been in Perth 6 weeks and the wifes already finding it difficult. God help us eh? She's really 'people sick' and missing family and her good mates really bad. She's wondering whether it's all worth the heartache, but you never know 'til you try do you? She's like you though, determined to stick it out for the two years.

I heard from your better half the other day, good to have football banter back again! I'll give him a call to pick his brains about the east coast. We may head over that way in the new year.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 4:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by holte end
We've been in Perth 6 weeks and the wifes already finding it difficult. God help us eh? She's really 'people sick' and missing family and her good mates really bad. She's wondering whether it's all worth the heartache, but you never know 'til you try do you? She's like you though, determined to stick it out for the two years.

I heard from your better half the other day, good to have football banter back again! I'll give him a call to pick his brains about the east coast. We may head over that way in the new year.

I know just how she feels, funny how us brummies seem to suffer this more?????? W said you'd been in touch, we'll speak to you soon,
Michaela
Old Aug 25th 2004, 4:22 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

The good stuff:

The not so good stuff:

Hi,

I agree with all your good points and most of the bad ones (not got the scrapbook parties (though MIL does sewing!) or found much celery here) You already know how I feel about the shopping... found a really good shoe shop the other day, REAL PROPER leather. Next time I go past it I'll get the name.

Keep smiling - we'll have another night out in a month or so; with no TV & no BBQ involved, I promise
Old Aug 25th 2004, 4:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mlbonner
Hi,

I agree with all your good points and most of the bad ones (not got the scrapbook parties (though MIL does sewing!) or found much celery here) You already know how I feel about the shopping... found a really good shoe shop the other day, REAL PROPER leather. Next time I go past it I'll get the name.

Keep smiling - we'll have another night out in a month or so; with no TV & no BBQ involved, I promise

Definately Michelle,
wont have visiting rels to bring by then and will try not to be hungoverPlease pm me the shoe shop when you find what its called!

Michaela
Old Aug 25th 2004, 4:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Definately Michelle,
wont have visiting rels to bring by then and will try not to be hungoverPlease pm me the shoe shop when you find what its called!

Michaela
Note for next Brisbane Girls Night Out - No relatives to be brought along unless they are too drunk to notice what is happening around them!
Good list Michaela, will try and come up with something similar as I've been here nearly 10 months :scared:
Old Aug 25th 2004, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

The good stuff:
Our expereinces were similar, except for: 2. Friendliness: In UK, we've found that people require more effort to get to know, but aren't as superficial as in Oz. And once one makes the effort, in UK, people are friendlier.

5: Being paid fortnightly: I think that depends on where you work! (Oz or UK)
7. Phonecards: cheap phonecards and equivalent available in UK (eg Telediscount). Off-peak costs 1p/min to Oz.

The not so good stuff:
Celery?? Must be a Brisbane thing.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 6:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Our expereinces were similar, except for: 2. Friendliness: In UK, we've found that people require more effort to get to know, but aren't as superficial as in Oz. And once one makes the effort, in UK, people are friendlier.

5: Being paid fortnightly: I think that depends on where you work! (Oz or UK)
7. Phonecards: cheap phonecards and equivalent available in UK (eg Telediscount). Off-peak costs 1p/min to Oz.

Celery?? Must be a Brisbane thing.

Mike,
I agree about the friendly thing, I probably meant cheerful really, as I was refering to strangers in the street, but nearly all of my friends here are non-ausie.
Used the phonecards when I was in the uk in June and have since recomended them to friends, but didnt know about them before we came. The one we use here currently costs half a cent per minute to the uk!

Polly,
Good rule for the nights out, look forward to your list. I keep thinking of more but unfortunately they're on the bad stuff list and I was trying really hard to be balanced so I'll keep them to myself!!!!!

Michaela
Old Aug 25th 2004, 7:47 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Polly,
Good rule for the nights out, look forward to your list. I keep thinking of more but unfortunately they're on the bad stuff list and I was trying really hard to be balanced so I'll keep them to myself!!!!!

Michaela
Ok, well I'll try and come up with a list (now I'm not trying to work at the same time! Can I say first - just when you think you're in control, something sooooo stupid can throw you. Has anyone else burst into tears on opening a parcel and seeing a Boots carrier bag? God what a prat, I knew what was in the parcel, I think it was the unexpectedly familiar carrier bag that threw me.
Bit like Michaela, although the overall picture is good, I think my "bad" list would be longer than the "good". I've avoided scrapbook and enjo parties, but am being promised such things as lace coathanger covers for Christmas, so I think MIL has trying to influence me in the craft direction. She has also sent me a recipe for blancmange....yeuch, not even keen on the packet stuff but this is vanilla flavour, made with cornflour and flavoured with a peach leaf.........
Anyway, here are the top five at present.....
Good
1) People being friendly - I don't care that its often insincere, int better than the abuse strangers threw at me in Brighton, and can cheer up my day. Only trouble is some go ooonnnnn and it turns into nosiness
2) Being paid fortnightly is heaven! Less time to be broke.
3) Sunny weather - I don't see much of it (owing to the Qlders habit of keeping the curtains closed) but its more cheerful than grey skies.
4) Fish and chips, freshly cooked, I love the seafood here.
5) Cheap but reasonably decent wine

oh and 6) The Bloke!

Less Good
1) Wildlife - a)The crows - this morning they were so noisy I couldn't sleep, and they sound so mournful, like heralding a death. b) Dogs - nearly every house in this street has a dog, they all live outside, and at times it sounds like Battersea would if a cat walked through it. Non-stop for hours. c) Cockroaches
2) Banks and their charges. Been discussed often, the final straw was discovering that EFTPOS purchases count with ATM withdrawals towards the daily total allowed. Whats the point of having a pay rise if you can't spend the money!!
3) Beetroot!! Celery is fine, but spare me from the purple demon!
4) TV. Why do they bother! Why not just pipe in the UK channels and let us watch those instead.
5) Shopping - I bulk-bought jeans before coming out here (thank goodness) - trying to buy shoes is hell, the underwear is an appalling quality. In fact most clothes are just shoddy. Books are expensive, and there is no equivalent of Boots and W H Smith.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 10:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ok, well I'll try and come up with a list (now I'm not trying to work at the same time! Can I say first - just when you think you're in control, something sooooo stupid can throw you. Has anyone else burst into tears on opening a parcel and seeing a Boots carrier bag? God what a prat, I knew what was in the parcel, I think it was the unexpectedly familiar carrier bag that threw me.
Bit like Michaela, although the overall picture is good, I think my "bad" list would be longer than the "good". I've avoided scrapbook and enjo parties, but am being promised such things as lace coathanger covers for Christmas, so I think MIL has trying to influence me in the craft direction. She has also sent me a recipe for blancmange....yeuch, not even keen on the packet stuff but this is vanilla flavour, made with cornflour and flavoured with a peach leaf.........
Anyway, here are the top five at present.....
Good
1) People being friendly - I don't care that its often insincere, int better than the abuse strangers threw at me in Brighton, and can cheer up my day. Only trouble is some go ooonnnnn and it turns into nosiness
2) Being paid fortnightly is heaven! Less time to be broke.
3) Sunny weather - I don't see much of it (owing to the Qlders habit of keeping the curtains closed) but its more cheerful than grey skies.
4) Fish and chips, freshly cooked, I love the seafood here.
5) Cheap but reasonably decent wine

oh and 6) The Bloke!

Less Good
1) Wildlife - a)The crows - this morning they were so noisy I couldn't sleep, and they sound so mournful, like heralding a death. b) Dogs - nearly every house in this street has a dog, they all live outside, and at times it sounds like Battersea would if a cat walked through it. Non-stop for hours. c) Cockroaches
2) Banks and their charges. Been discussed often, the final straw was discovering that EFTPOS purchases count with ATM withdrawals towards the daily total allowed. Whats the point of having a pay rise if you can't spend the money!!
3) Beetroot!! Celery is fine, but spare me from the purple demon!
4) TV. Why do they bother! Why not just pipe in the UK channels and let us watch those instead.
5) Shopping - I bulk-bought jeans before coming out here (thank goodness) - trying to buy shoes is hell, the underwear is an appalling quality. In fact most clothes are just shoddy. Books are expensive, and there is no equivalent of Boots and W H Smith.

I cant believe I forgot the wildlife! Thought that would bother me more than anything and it doesnt even figure in my top 7, hope that reassures some fellow arachnophobes!
Old Aug 25th 2004, 1:32 pm
Home and Happy

I cant believe I forgot the wildlife! Thought that would bother me more than anything and it doesnt even figure in my top 7, hope that reassures some fellow arachnophobes!
I will now add another one to the Wildlife......whatever it is that is living in my kitchen and rustles the pile of carrier bags while I am sitting here typing! Only comes out when the kitchen is dark.........The Bloke said he would get a mouse-trap, so tonight the rustling is louder, and where is the mouse-trap - STILL IN ITS PACKET! You wait till I get my hands on him! If I stop typing, you'll know it got me, whatever it is........ :scared:
Old Aug 25th 2004, 1:47 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I will now add another one to the Wildlife......whatever it is that is living in my kitchen and rustles the pile of carrier bags while I am sitting here typing! Only comes out when the kitchen is dark.........The Bloke said he would get a mouse-trap, so tonight the rustling is louder, and where is the mouse-trap - STILL IN ITS PACKET! You wait till I get my hands on him! If I stop typing, you'll know it got me, whatever it is........ :scared:
JUST DO NOT MENTION MOUSES!

Have been awake all night this last week with meeces running riot above our heads. Have caught about 8 in the last couple of nights. Enough for a good sized shepherds' pie.

Loft looks like the final assembly belt at the "little nipper" mousetrap plant!
Old Aug 25th 2004, 1:58 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
JUST DO NOT MENTION MOUSES!

Have been awake all night this last week with meeces running riot above our heads. Have caught about 8 in the last couple of nights. Enough for a good sized shepherds' pie.

Loft looks like the final assembly belt at the "little nipper" mousetrap plant!
Hope there aren't that many out there - actually I don;t even know its a mouse, theres no evidence, I just can't think what else it could be. Have just thought of potential hitch with the mouse-trap though - we can't bait it with cheese as the cheese here is so **** no decent self-respecting mouse would touch it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.