Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

6 days since we arrived in Brisbane

6 days since we arrived in Brisbane

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all
Default 6 days since we arrived in Brisbane

The flight was awful because it was so cramped. We were shattered when we eventually arrived on Saturday morning. Monday we went looking for rentals and there is such a large variety. We put in an application form for one and are hoping to hear if we are accepted for it by tomorrow. Tuesday hubby went to employment agency. We bought mobile phones. Wednesday hubby went for interview and got the job as a electricians laborour and a company van. We think the employer is going to help with all the forms and tests he needs to go through.
Thursday we went out and bought a car. Its like a bloody bus and I'm only 5'2. Its a toyota prado. We are picking it up this morning. I have phoned up for a part time job I saw advertised to hoping to hear from them by the end of this week. As soon as we hear about accomodation I will be able to place daughter in school. Its been extremely stressful but only because we are trying to get settled and sorted asap.
Some of the things I've experienced so far is, the sights and sounds are wonderful. The customer care is not the best here. It's wonderful to wake up in the morning and sit outside with a morning cuppa. The houses are so varied in shapes and sizes even from the outside. The roads are easier to travel on (even though we get lost at least once a day ) Some food is cheaper and some more expensive. You definately have to shop around. I have got used to the taste of bundy rum and love it People are so laid back here and we will have to get used to it because we realise it's us trying to get everything done 'yesterday'. All in all I'm aiming for the day we can sit and chill out and say to ourselves 'yes, we are here.' I hope that makes sense. I noticed in Brisbane itself there is a large population of oriental people it was almost spot the Aussie. The car salesman even gave hubby a contact number of a football coach that has also only been in the country for 4 months and also from Scotland. I think life is definately what you make of it
and it can and will be great here for us. Another important thing we must do is change bank accounts because its a pain having to go to Brisbane bank. We have so far needed to go twice, once for a statement for the application for the rental and once for a bankers cheque.
We have been in contact with the quarintine place to keep in contact with our dogs and I cant wait until I see them again.
Good wishes and luck to all of you and hope your dreams come true.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 6 days since we arrived in Brisbane

Fantastic news to hear that you arrived safe and well, Glad to know that you are getting sorted out with things. Where abouts are you thinking of settling in Brisbane? we will be heading your way hopefully later this year
perhaps we cant meet for a
I notice from your post that your husband has secured a job with a company vehicle, my husband is an Electrician so perhaps he can send him a pm to let him know how he is getting on.
Good luck with sorting everything else out.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:20 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lesley and welcome to Australia

Whereabouts in Brissie are you and the rental that you have hopefully been approved on?We are in Cleveland, Bayside and love it. We have been here for 6 mths now and bought our own house in December and renovating it at the moment.

It des seem stressful the first month or so trying to get stuff sorted, all the medicare, centrelink, docs, etc etc. But it is well worth it.

Anyway good luck and we may meet up one of these days

All the best
Ang
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

It sounds like you are going great guns. I hope that you are accepted for the house you want to rent. Good luck with the rest of the settling in process.

Katie
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 9:38 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LesleyM
The flight was awful because it was so cramped. We were shattered when we eventually arrived on Saturday morning. Monday we went looking for rentals and there is such a large variety. We put in an application form for one and are hoping to hear if we are accepted for it by tomorrow. Tuesday hubby went to employment agency. We bought mobile phones. Wednesday hubby went for interview and got the job as a electricians laborour and a company van. We think the employer is going to help with all the forms and tests he needs to go through.
Thursday we went out and bought a car. Its like a bloody bus and I'm only 5'2. Its a toyota prado. We are picking it up this morning. I have phoned up for a part time job I saw advertised to hoping to hear from them by the end of this week. As soon as we hear about accomodation I will be able to place daughter in school. Its been extremely stressful but only because we are trying to get settled and sorted asap.
Some of the things I've experienced so far is, the sights and sounds are wonderful. The customer care is not the best here. It's wonderful to wake up in the morning and sit outside with a morning cuppa. The houses are so varied in shapes and sizes even from the outside. The roads are easier to travel on (even though we get lost at least once a day ) Some food is cheaper and some more expensive. You definately have to shop around. I have got used to the taste of bundy rum and love it People are so laid back here and we will have to get used to it because we realise it's us trying to get everything done 'yesterday'. All in all I'm aiming for the day we can sit and chill out and say to ourselves 'yes, we are here.' I hope that makes sense. I noticed in Brisbane itself there is a large population of oriental people it was almost spot the Aussie. The car salesman even gave hubby a contact number of a football coach that has also only been in the country for 4 months and also from Scotland. I think life is definately what you make of it
and it can and will be great here for us. Another important thing we must do is change bank accounts because its a pain having to go to Brisbane bank. We have so far needed to go twice, once for a statement for the application for the rental and once for a bankers cheque.
We have been in contact with the quarintine place to keep in contact with our dogs and I cant wait until I see them again.
Great post, keep them coming PLEASE, we are flying there in 3 weeks time with Singpore Air, who did you fly with?
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

scottie72 will become famous soon enoughscottie72 will become famous soon enough

Hi, Lesley
Alison here from Glasgow, Just reading your post, great to here things are going so good for you's all.
Me my husband Scott and our two boy's arrived on the 24th Feb, were renting short term in Carina at the moment, seems a lovely place, hoping to find rented accommodation in this area and a good school for our boy's.
Were are you's staying yourselves.
Hope to here from you soon & that this rain goes back to Scotland, He he
Alison
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

terrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really nice

Nothing like taking things easy when you 1st arrive

What work agency did hubby use? Sounds like they actually done what they said they said they would, an unusual trate I am finding hard to track down at the moment.

Good Luck,

T
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear you are settling. Find it hard to imagine we will be doing exactly what you have just descibed in a few months from now. :scared:
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 11:40 pm
Banned

Location: from Shepherds Bush to Aussie Bush. Well not quite - Mountain Creek, Sunshine Coast
jc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to alljc_hoops is a name known to all

Lesleym interesting post. We too have just arrived in Brisbane, (last SAturday) and moved up to Mooloolaba to rent. I'm an ex-sparks, most of my time spent in telecoms. I moved out on spouse visa, not skills, so I had no idea how bloody difficult it is here, to get your qualifications reconised in comparison to British ones. If possible, would you mind supplying details of the employment agency your husband used - this is exacly the type of possition I too would need to find,so that I can get back on the tools and get assistence to get my qualifications processed while working

Good luck, your first hurdle is over - work !! Oh, and they recon the sun will be out at the weekend
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

Koala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant future

6 days soon becomes two weeks! Two weeks soon becomes 6 months and 6 months soon becomes 18. And then you'll be amazed how you fitted it all in and did what you did. Sounds like you're doing great!

Congratulations! Brisbane's a great city, the people are great too and when you get the chance take an hour's drive north to the Sunshine Coast and see where we (and quite a few other Brits) decided to settle. It's been 18 months now and we love being here!

Paul and Gill
www.koalakonnection.com.au
Our site for people moving to this part of the world.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Brisbane!! I for one think it is a great city, and I wouldn't class myself as a city sort of person.
You seem to have a lot sorted out in such a short space of time. I hope things keep going the right way for you.

Amanda
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:09 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Congratulations,

I must say that you have been very busy since you arrived. We have been here five months and absolutely love it. We are currently renting in Sinnamon Park, but have bought land in Pullenvale where we start building very soon.

If we can be of any help or assistance while you are settling in feel free to contact us.

Take care

Anthony, Lisa & Phoebe
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Glad to see things are going well so far, hope it continues
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paulf
Great post, keep them coming PLEASE, we are flying there in 3 weeks time with Singpore Air, who did you fly with?
I'd like to know the answer to this too!

We flew Singapore a few years ago and it was ok, looking at Malaysia this time...
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:43 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lesley & John

Wow you've been there 6 days already!! Glad your settling in, fantastic news re John's job, hope you get the rental and your job.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy mate, you deserve it. Loads of good luck and fortune in your new life.

Keep us posted, and get the spare bed made

Kay xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.