Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

5 weeks and 4 days in then the phone call

5 weeks and 4 days in then the phone call

Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold
Default 5 weeks and 4 days in then the phone call

Well I got Arrived in Sydney at the end of November and settled in very well I really love the place which is good as I had never been to Australia before. I found an apartment (with a stunning view) started meeting people got through Christmas and New year all in all I was really enjoying it. I got broadband and started having video conversations with my parents which was far better than phone calls they looked good and were looking forward to visiting in August. Anyway they went on holiday for a couple of weeks then 1 day in I received a phone call while I was eating my breakfast. It was the call that I am sure all of us who make the move worry about. My mother informed me that my father had suffered a massive heart attack and died. Well I had a very close relationship with my father so it hit me hard. I managed to get flights to Edinburgh even though most flights were full (BA were great by the way) I actually managed to get back to the UK 2 days before my mother got back from Spain as she was held up by general incompetence in agents booking flights then delays. Anyway my fathers body is still in Spain over a week since he dies we can't arrange funerals etc and my mother will be on her own if I go back as she has no other family. All in all it's been a crap week.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 4:55 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 weeks and 4 days in then the phone call

Originally Posted by isgraham
Well I got Arrived in Sydney at the end of November and settled in very well I really love the place which is good as I had never been to Australia before. I found an apartment (with a stunning view) started meeting people got through Christmas and New year all in all I was really enjoying it. I got broadband and started having video conversations with my parents which was far better than phone calls they looked good and were looking forward to visiting in August. Anyway they went on holiday for a couple of weeks then 1 day in I received a phone call while I was eating my breakfast. It was the call that I am sure all of us who make the move worry about. My mother informed me that my father had suffered a massive heart attack and died. Well I had a very close relationship with my father so it hit me hard. I managed to get flights to Edinburgh even though most flights were full (BA were great by the way) I actually managed to get back to the UK 2 days before my mother got back from Spain as she was held up by general incompetence in agents booking flights then delays. Anyway my fathers body is still in Spain over a week since he dies we can't arrange funerals etc and my mother will be on her own if I go back as she has no other family. All in all it's been a crap week.

graham, sincere condolances on the loss of your father. i fortunately do not know what it is like to lose a parent, but i am sure there are more than enough on this forum. i dont know what to say.

its good that you are there for you mum.

if there are no other siblings, perhaps she could go over to australia on a last remaining relative visa? i know it is probably the last thing on your mind at the moment, but it must be bothering you as you mentioned it in your thread.

take care of yourself chick, and of your mum. be strong enough for the both of you. once again, condolances.

god bless
SB
xx
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of

My thoughts are with you.
Jo
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:05 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear about your loss. What a shock for you. Thoughts and prayers to you and your mum. x
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

LouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to beholdLouiseG is a splendid one to behold

Really sorry. Our thoughts are with you too....
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

nomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura about

So sorry about your bad news. I know what you're going through. I lost my mum 5 years ago. She was 51 - so young. My one consolation was that I will see her again in another life. The thought of never seeing her again was unbearable. My heart goes out to you and your mum and hope that with time your loss will get easier to deal with.

Take care,
Marina x
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:27 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry for your loss Graham.
My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
Julie.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

sorry to hear your news our hearts go out to you
Old Jan 12th 2006, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

happymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud ofhappymum has much to be proud of

So sorry to hear about your loss.
Old Jan 12th 2006, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Lal Lal a rural community outside Ballarat VIC, previously Kent England
oliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond reputeoliverandlisa has a reputation beyond repute

SO sorry to hear your unthinkable news, i hope that everything goes smoothly for you in the forthcoming weeks.

Lisa.x
Old Jan 12th 2006, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear your news my thoughts are with you and your mum
Janet