Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

5 things to do before you leave

5 things to do before you leave

Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:12 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default 5 things to do before you leave

For those that have made it to the other side, what was in your list (or you wish had been) of things to do before catching the plane?

First thoughts off the top of my head

1 - visit rellies/friends around the country & a do for local friends
2 - Do at least one more dive in UK waters & may even gain my next qualification
3 - I must really sort out my crap from the good stuff that is worthy of being shipped to Oz
4 - Go away for a week or long weekend in Europe, avoiding beaches and maybe try and have a snowball fight or make a snowman!
5 - Steadly drink through our stash of alcohol
Old Nov 1st 2005, 7:23 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 things to do before you leave

Originally Posted by walaj
For those that have made it to the other side, what was in your list (or you wish had been) of things to do before catching the plane?

2 - Do at least one more dive in UK waters & may even gain my next qualification
3 - I must really sort out my crap from the good stuff that is worthy of being shipped to Oz
4 - Go away for a week or long weekend in Europe, avoiding beaches and maybe try and have a snowball fight or make a snowman!
1. I would not do the relatives at the airport thing just as a hint. Its going to be a hard enough day without that.
2. Why ?? I'm an IDC staff and used to do loads of UK diving. Would you rather do your dive in a drysuit in crap viz and maybe if your lucky be able to see a wreck your diving (cause there's nothing much else) or if unlucky dive by braille Alternatively you could do you course in the blue - see some sharks - use a wetsuit... Manta season in Brissie soon! Can you tell I dont do green water anymore!! Seriously though there are loads of quality dive centers here happy to take your money for courses and frankly the divings a million times better.
3. We did two skips worth and took an entire week to do. I'd start that one really early!
4. Yup - make a list of Europe destinations and go visit them. Saves the I would have loved to situation.
5. You could always invite BE members round to help you.

Seriously - good luck with your journey.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 8:00 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

1. we didnt visit we had a MAD house party for all our rellies n friends, i agree with centurion, i wouldnt wanna do the airport thing, we did the depart from house in minibus thing !
2. have one last CURRY arse burnin chicken madras !
3. exhaust all forms of alchohol.
4. reverse into neighbours noddy mobile smart car on purpose,
5. leave some prawns in the curtain poles for new owners
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:40 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Centurion
1 no chance of that - if they insist I will tell them the wrong date
2 Given the strong winds it looks like no chance of getting into the sea - although might go to an inland place just to finish off the qualification (only requires 1 days diving)
3 It was started in the summer before the house was put on the market, with the intention that stuff hidden away would be sorted whilst the house was up for sale - well that didn't happen
4 It is scary how few weekends are left - still on the to do list
5 I think we can manage, but let you know if we start to struggle
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:44 am
no longer searching

TFA

1 if we visit then we can choose to leave!
2 sounds good (apart from chicken bit)
4 You don't know how v tempting that is
5 depends how the sales stuff goes
Old Nov 4th 2005, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

1. get rid of all the rubbish
2. show the children London
3. go to the beach - even if its tipping it down
4. have a cocktail party to get rid of the rubbish bottles of booze that we have managed to collect and never drink
5. have a bloody good nights sleep before hitting Heathrow
Old Nov 4th 2005, 11:15 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

1. Didn't seem to get time to do as much of this as we wanted too
2. Nope
3. Definately. We had at least three passes at this, each time finding stuff that actually was crap and was going to cost more to ship than it's worth.
4. Managed a couple of trips before we left
5. Oh we did lots of this
Old Nov 4th 2005, 11:18 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

1. Put the cat out
2. Have a dump
3. Buy lettuce for the journey
4. Switch the lights off
5. Turn the oven off
Old Nov 4th 2005, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

For those that have made it to the other side, what was in your list (or you wish had been) of things to do before arriving in OZ? (poetic licence used...(!)
1) Strapped seatbelt on...
2) Got free vino from air steward
3) Stuck two fingers up to London
4) Laughed my head off
5) Waved goodbye to blighty forever and said a HUGE hello to OZ

Been here 14 months and wouldn't change a thing about what we did before we left / during us leaving / whatever.

Don't think, don't look back - lifes too short. Just get on with it and enjoy the ride.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:01 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

1. Plan, refine and execute a daring plan for an uprising by the proletariat against the corrupt gerentocracy, bringing anarchy to the streets and an over-throw of all state institutions in favour of a broad-based alliance of bartering-but-independent social pods governed in rotation by an official chosen at random from the general pod-population.
2. Pop round to Keiran Allen's house and tell him that you did, in fact, have it away with his sister, that it was you that scratched his Austin Maxi outside Letchworth leisure centre in 1981, that you only hung around him because he was a good source of free Embassy Number Ones, that you hope he's happy collecting trollies in the out-of-town Tesco superstore in Baldock and that you found out at the school reunion that it was him who'd spread those rumours in the second year about you being a bum-bandit in the queer service of Vincent Moran. Or maybe that one's unique to me.
3. Get on a busy tube train during rush hour and berate the passengers for avoiding all eye contact (even reflections in the window), for never smiling and for deliberately mis-directing Japanese tourists to Clapham rather than Knightsbridge. Then tear open your shirt and invite random spectators to kiss you on the nipple (obviously best employed by men, this one). Finally exit the station and deliberately stand on the left on the escalator - repeat this 15 times.
4. Buy a blue long-sleeved polo-neck shirt and phone up the local paper claiming you were the long-lost fifth member of the wiggles, that you got dumped by Murray just as the band were enjoying their first signs of success and that none of the Wiggles are in fact Australian but come from Stevenage and started out life as a support act for Flock of Seagulls.
5. Daub - "Would the last person to leave, please turn out the lights" on one side of the Hammersmith flyover, and "So long, and thanks for all the fish" on the other. Dust yourself off, pick yourself up, and start all over again, in Oz.

Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
1. Plan, refine and execute a daring plan for an uprising by the proletariat against the corrupt gerentocracy, bringing anarchy to the streets and an over-throw of all state institutions in favour of a broad-based alliance of bartering-but-independent social pods governed in rotation by an official chosen at random from the general pod-population.
2. Pop round to Keiran Allen's house and tell him that you did, in fact, have it away with his sister, that it was you that scratched his Austin Maxi outside Letchworth leisure centre in 1981, that you only hung around him because he was a good source of free Embassy Number Ones, that you hope he's happy collecting trollies in the out-of-town Tesco superstore in Baldock and that you found out at the school reunion that it was him who'd spread those rumours in the second year about you being a bum-bandit in the queer service of Vincent Moran. Or maybe that one's unique to me.
3. Get on a busy tube train during rush hour and berate the passengers for avoiding all eye contact (even reflections in the window), for never smiling and for deliberately mis-directing Japanese tourists to Clapham rather than Knightsbridge. Then tear open your shirt and invite random spectators to kiss you on the nipple (obviously best employed by men, this one). Finally exit the station and deliberately stand on the left on the escalator - repeat this 15 times.
4. Buy a blue long-sleeved polo-neck shirt and phone up the local paper claiming you were the long-lost fifth member of the wiggles, that you got dumped by Murray just as the band were enjoying their first signs of success and that none of the Wiggles are in fact Australian but come from Stevenage and started out life as a support act for Flock of Seagulls.
5. Daub - "Would the last person to leave, please turn out the lights" on one side of the Hammersmith flyover, and "So long, and thanks for all the fish" on the other. Dust yourself off, pick yourself up, and start all over again, in Oz.

just let it all out, mate!!!
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:25 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hutch

Just watched Hitchhikers Guide....god what a pile of crap! Got half way through and had to turn it off

R
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:39 pm
Live it not dream it!!

happy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of lighthappy chappy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
4. reverse into neighbours noddy mobile smart car on purpose,
I don't know why but I p***ed myself when I read that one.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:51 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Just watched Hitchhikers Guide....god what a pile of crap! Got half way through and had to turn it off

R
lol ai - shite film - good book tho
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

1 Get a visa sorted out
2 Book one way tickets
3 sell or get rid of useless household junk
4 pack and send off belongings
5 board plane and take off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.