Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

5 Most Irritating Aussie Speech Traits

5 Most Irritating Aussie Speech Traits

Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:35 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 Most Irritating Aussie Speech Traits

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The way, mainly, women say 'nooy' for 'no'.
Is it just the fact that they don't say "Yes"?? <g>
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

cheap as chips!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neil S
With apologies to the Aussie born people that post on this site and I'm sure you can reciprocate about us Poms, I want to give you some of the things that irritate me most about Aussie people, in no particular order.

1. I have a colleague who says "no worries" on average about 6-10 times every time he is on the phone
2. All my colleague's say "good on yer" before they put the phone down on each call
3. From shop assistants the US style "Have a nice day" is creeping in
4. The withering realisation "oohh okay" is used all too often
5. Instead of thanking you the Aussies like to just say "cool"

Glad to get that off my chest. By the way, I still like the Aussies.
Apologies accepted!

I've posted this before but it's a good one relating to our penchant to have an upwards inflection at the end of a sentence (a lot of English people have a downwards inflection which irritates me but that's another story or thread).

Q. Why do Australians go up at the end of their sentences?

A. Because their relatives went down at the beginning of their's!

OzTennis
Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Trax is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't cope with the following:

Oktion (auction)
Parsta (pasta) - where on earth did the r come from
farewelled (as mentioned earlier) - its not a verb!

Would never have a go at my Aussie friends though, but keep correcting my kids every time they say warta instead of water. Probably ought to give up - don't think I'll win that one...

Trax
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trax
I can't cope with the following:

Oktion (auction)
farewelled (as mentioned earlier) - its not a verb!

Would never have a go at my Aussie friends though, but keep correcting my kids every time they say warta instead of water. Probably ought to give up - don't think I'll win that one...

Trax
Oarstralia, Oarction
Mell (pause) born
Pairth
Can (pause) berra
Lonston et al

Sorry, wrong thread.

OzTennis
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Apologies accepted!

I've posted this before but it's a good one relating to our penchant to have an upwards inflection at the end of a sentence (a lot of English people have a downwards inflection which irritates me but that's another story or thread).

OzTennis
I was going to say this. Aussies make ordinary sentences sound like questions.

E.g. "I wish they would stop sounding like they are asking questions?"

PL
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Apologies accepted!

OzTennis

Usually after the upward inflection they then wait for some sort of response from you e.g a nod or a "yeah!" before they continue with whatever they were going to say. It's quite cute actually.

PL
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Princess Leia

Usually after the upward inflection they then wait for some sort of response from you e.g a nod or a "yeah!" before they continue with whatever they were going to say. It's quite cute actually.

PL
Some will also end a sentence with the word 'but' which Americans often misinterpret.

OzTennis
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:52 am
is the donut hole

fnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud offnord has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Trax
Actually, parsta (as long the 'ar' is not too long) could be considered more correct as that's how the Italians say it (both A's should sound the same).
Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:07 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any problem with the way Australians speak - it's the same as us poms but different. The only problem I have is with listening to my 6 year old daughter, who has been at school here for 7 weeks, doing the "Aussie inflection". From a true Australian you accept it (and like it) as part of them but to me it just feels as though my daughter is acting out a role. I obviously knew to expect this to happen but it doesn't make it any easier to listen to when all around her we are all still speaking the "Queen's English".

Probably what irritates me more is my father-in-law speaking so slowly as if to a foreigner who wouldn't have that good a grasp of english!

I wonder whether I will keep my british accent or drift into Aussie speak too?!

Binbird
Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:43 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

instead of saying alright they say alrightey...for some reason just that one saying puts my back up
Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

For the past few months my 10 year old has got into the habit of saying "thank you much" in a sing song way. Irritates the hell out of me, no idea where it has come from, but can't say anything because she is at least saying thank you

Haven't been here long enough for any speech to annoy me yet. Still at the entertained frame of mind
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:08 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

yes thanks !!
yip !
yip yip!!
yip yip yip!!!
Old Dec 21st 2005, 12:52 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wengerboy
yes thanks !!
yip !
yip yip!!
yip yip yip!!!
"Na!" instead on "No"
Old Dec 21st 2005, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by renth
"Na!" instead on "No"
Now get it right, it's nah - to go with yeah! (the Beatles had that hit She loves you, yes, yes, yes).

OzTennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.