4x4's

Old Jun 16th 2003, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

jambo_g is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

We've just emigrated to NSW, been here a month.

We also were after a 4x4 and in the end after much research we bought a Ford Explorer.

It's generally quite a bit cheaper than the Landcruiser, but is the same kind of size, it's a 4litre V6 amd it comes with a lot of optional extras that other 4x4s don't like electric seats etc etc

It's absolutely fantastic fun compared to the 1.8 litre Audi A3 I had in Edinburgh

I've driven down to Melbourne in it already and up to Coffs Harbour in the weekend just past and it's really comfortable.

One thing I would mention is, I test drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee and it was lovely to look at leather and all but it was very small inside and the spare tyre is inside the boot! something that put us off it.

The other thing I would mention that came as a surprise (only because I didn't do my research) was I had to pay my registration fee which you have to pay to the RTA to put the car in your name. It is based on a set amount for every thousand the car is worth and I think mine worked out to be around $700.

Cheers
Graham
Old Jun 16th 2003, 11:47 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: 4x4's

Originally posted by ohsohopeful
We are looking to get a 4x4 when we arrive, mainly for day to day use on normal roads with the occasional trip out to the outback (for those fun weekends).

I've been looking at prices of Toyota Landcruisers and Jeep Grand Cherokee. My question is simple, is it worth paying almost $AUD20k extra for the Toyota and if so why ?
Toyota are a great make, being generally reliable and well made. They have the advantage of a great service network in Aus, and if you do ever break down, chances are you will be able to get spares pretty quick.

The only other 4WD I would consider would be the nissan Patrol, which is another reliable vehicle, but without quite such a good service network.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 11:53 am
arg
Forum Regular

arg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 4x4's

Originally posted by ohsohopeful
We are looking to get a 4x4 when we arrive, mainly for day to day use on normal roads with the occasional trip out to the outback (for those fun weekends).

I've been looking at prices of Toyota Landcruisers and Jeep Grand Cherokee. My question is simple, is it worth paying almost $AUD20k extra for the Toyota and if so why ?

Japenese win hands down everytime.

We've got and old Landcruiser here in the UK, it will be one of the few things I'll be sad to leave. Its just clocked up 108,000 miles and still going as strong as ever. Loads of space for kids, dogs, shopping, etc.
Old Jun 16th 2003, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

In fact here is a picture of our new car at Umina Beach in the Central Coast

Graham
Attached Thumbnails 4x4's-explorer.jpg  
Old Jun 16th 2003, 1:07 pm
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

Not to be out done, here's us on the beach!!!
Attached Thumbnails 4x4's-onthebeach.jpg  
Old Jun 17th 2003, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

One more thing I thought I may add to this. Don't forget you will have to re-sit your driving test!!

You can drive on a UK licence for three months then you have to have an Ozzie one, which means sitting a theory and a practical again!!

You could get away with driving on your UK for as long as you want (until you get caught) but it's not advisable because you won't be properly covered by your insurance making it void if you have an accident.

Graham
Old Jun 17th 2003, 6:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by jambo_g
One more thing I thought I may add to this. Don't forget you will have to re-sit your driving test!!

You can drive on a UK licence for three months then you have to have an Ozzie one, which means sitting a theory and a practical again!!

You could get away with driving on your UK for as long as you want (until you get caught) but it's not advisable because you won't be properly covered by your insurance making it void if you have an accident.

Graham

Don't state facts unless they are facts:

You do not need to take a practical test in most states anymore, only a theory ... no 2 , For four years I was on a temp visa (non Pr)and could not get an Aus Licence - I asked - went down to take my test, but at the time I was on a temp 4 year visa - couldn't get one - I was told to drive on my Brit licence!, only when I became PR did I need one - which I still haven't got (the licence not the PR, I'm driving on a Brit one after 6 years though I shouldn't be now because of the PR , two years into that one (PR)with speeding fines, and producing my licence, they are a bit dull here-, the police, this three month rule applies only to Citizens and PR) .

I'm still on my Brit one after 6 years (and have paid fines from speeding, even have given in my Brit no to the local station here). You only need take the theory in many states - Qld is one

About the clearance on many 4 wheel drives - try lifting it. costs about 2 grand
And for those with Side steps take 'em off - bl**dy ugly !.
cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 17th 2003 at 6:57 am.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer, I am a permanent resident, I was granted it straight away, and I have to resit my test in NSW both the written and the practical.

I'm only taking the information from the rta's website:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...asdrivers.html

and also based upon the fact that when I insured my car with the NRMA they stated if I was a permanent resident I would have to get an ozzie license within three months or my insurance would be ineligible.

Sorry to be annoying but it is fact, I perhaps should have been clearer and stated that this is the case when you recieve permanent residency. Good luck with your permanent residency.

Graham
Old Jun 17th 2003, 1:42 pm
Testing

Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

But from the same page:

You may not be required to pass a driving or riding test if:

<snip>

you hold a current overseas licence, or one that expired within the last 5 years, from a country recognised as having comparable licensing standards to Australia (see Important Notes below).
Important Notes: The recognition of licences from certain overseas countries has been agreed nationally and will commence in NSW on and from 20 May 2002. Customers that have not failed a driving or riding test, as at 20 May 2002, will be exempted from the test if they hold an acceptable licence from one of the recognised countries. The exemption only applies to applicants for Class C (car) and Class R (rider) licences.

The RTA reserves the right to require customers to undertake a driving or riding test, and may not issue a licence until it is satisfied that the overseas licence is valid.

Recognised Countries

<snip>

UK

---

So it does look like theory test only.

Paul

Originally posted by jambo_g
Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer, I am a permanent resident, I was granted it straight away, and I have to resit my test in NSW both the written and the practical.

I'm only taking the information from the rta's website:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...asdrivers.html

and also based upon the fact that when I insured my car with the NRMA they stated if I was a permanent resident I would have to get an ozzie license within three months or my insurance would be ineligible.

Sorry to be annoying but it is fact, I perhaps should have been clearer and stated that this is the case when you recieve permanent residency. Good luck with your permanent residency.

Graham
Old Jun 17th 2003, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

lx470 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends how much outback/off road you want to do.

IF you intend taking off to the outback for a month or more then you will want something serious - LandCruiser or Patrol.

If you dont do this then any 4x4 or part time 4x4 will do.

Jeep and Ford parts will be harder to find than Landcruiser or Patrol.

Stay away from Explorers, high milage Patrols (engine and gearbox faults).

diesel is easier to find in the real remote outback.

Check out the Off road web sites and Forums. www.overlander.com.au for 1.

UK driving lic is legal.

Outide of the cities the roads can be no more than dirt tracks in an area the size of Belgium with nobody arouns for 1,000 s of kms.
Old Jun 17th 2003, 10:18 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been looking at prices of 4x4s and was wondering if anyone has any opinions on any of the Holden range ?????

Here we go
Old Jun 18th 2003, 8:30 am
Just Joined

lx470 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Holdens, except the Vauxhall models, are made by Isuzu in Japan. (Called Isuzu Troopers in the UK)

Generally well regarded but not a large vehicle. They have a lower chassis than the Landcruiser and Patrol so off road damage is more likely.

Again many Offroad Forums to check out but everyone has an opinion.

www.overlander.com.au

check out the various Yahoo Forum sites on Offroad.
Old Jun 18th 2003, 8:51 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lx470
Depends how much outback/off road you want to do.

IF you intend taking off to the outback for a month or more then you will want something serious - LandCruiser or Patrol.

If you dont do this then any 4x4 or part time 4x4 will do.

Jeep and Ford parts will be harder to find than Landcruiser or Patrol.

Stay away from Explorers, high milage Patrols (engine and gearbox faults).

diesel is easier to find in the real remote outback.

Check out the Off road web sites and Forums. www.overlander.com.au for 1.

UK driving lic is legal.

Outide of the cities the roads can be no more than dirt tracks in an area the size of Belgium with nobody arouns for 1,000 s of kms.
have a 82MQ PATROL280,000kms ,only ever put a clutch in it, yet the s,w,b fj40 cruiser the transfer gear kacked its,self after 180,000kms, yes their,s more diesel in the out back , theirs also more water in it always carry spare filters.............
MM
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Tambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant future
Default Mitsibushi

How come no one has mentioned the Mitsibushi Pajaro?

Is it not a great 4x4????
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Tambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant futureTambo has a brilliant future
Default also

Can you drive your 4x4 on the beach or does it cause major damage to the engine???

Is it advisable?

Does the salt corrode??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.