4wd trouble!

Old Oct 1st 2005, 3:44 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default 4wd trouble!

I have just got in the house after breaking down in our 4x4 inbetween Lancelin and Cervantes in WA, of all places on the 4 wheeled drive only parts.
Well what a mind numbing experience that was, we had to get help, mobile phones don't work in the middle of nowhere land, when we got help he managed to get us a tow truck to get us off the dunes, only about 20k up and down, bump here bump there $350 bucks later, dumped in Lancelin, he organised a tow truck with a flat bed trailer, 2 hours later it finally arrived, and then took almost another 2hours to get us home plus another $300 :scared:

We go out tomorrow and get some tow cover, although the 2nd tow truck driver said the kilometres is restricted which they actually recover so will have to investigate.

So in hind sight, always go with another person, although that wouldn't have helped us much, its an auto and can't be towed for huge distances, take cash, maybe get an external aerial for your mobile phone, I ended up walking in the dunes phone up in the air trying to get a signal, throw a copy of the local business pages in the back of the car, leave a spare house key with relatives, we had to get back tonight because the thought of the dogs left alone over night and the mess the following day, well didn't bare thinking about, or we would still be in the car now debating what to do and sleeping in it over night.

mmmmmm what a night!!!!!

Jenny
Old Oct 1st 2005, 4:07 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: 4wd trouble!

Originally Posted by jensteve
I have just got in the house after breaking down in our 4x4 inbetween Lancelin and Cervantes in WA, of all places on the 4 wheeled drive only parts.
Well what a mind numbing experience that was, we had to get help, mobile phones don't work in the middle of nowhere land, when we got help he managed to get us a tow truck to get us off the dunes, only about 20k up and down, bump here bump there $350 bucks later, dumped in Lancelin, he organised a tow truck with a flat bed trailer, 2 hours later it finally arrived, and then took almost another 2hours to get us home plus another $300 :scared:

We go out tomorrow and get some tow cover, although the 2nd tow truck driver said the kilometres is restricted which they actually recover so will have to investigate.

So in hind sight, always go with another person, although that wouldn't have helped us much, its an auto and can't be towed for huge distances, take cash, maybe get an external aerial for your mobile phone, I ended up walking in the dunes phone up in the air trying to get a signal, throw a copy of the local business pages in the back of the car, leave a spare house key with relatives, we had to get back tonight because the thought of the dogs left alone over night and the mess the following day, well didn't bare thinking about, or we would still be in the car now debating what to do and sleeping in it over night.

mmmmmm what a night!!!!!

Jenny
Jenny,
sounds like a little bit of hell!
Might be a good idea to go out in a group and that way you can recover each other! (done that more than once at work )

So what broke?

Bye
Mark
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 12:12 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

mmmmmm what a night!!!!!

Jenny

CB radio will be a big help.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

mmmmmm what a night!!!!!

Jenny

4 WD in OZ why may I ask
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 2:35 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Dunno what went wring, it just decided in the middle of the army firing range to stop going! We thought it had ran out of gas and the petrol was slow coming through but no joy.

The only problem I can think of if we went out with others, its an auto gear box and you cant tow them for very long without damage, so somewhere along the line we would of ended up with the low loader anyway, just a shame it happened when it happened. I doubt even the RAC would have rescued us from where it was.

We will think a bit more about it next time I think, I have suggested driving close to a nearby town in my car and then leaving it there so we would at least have transport to get home.

Well hubby is trying to figure out whats gone wrong on it, I reckon whatever it is will be a large bill, its already cost $650 so what the hell we must be made of it.

A sleep deprived Jenny
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 5:45 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I strongly agree with you, that going in a group is far more safe, and perhaps , as we all know, Hindisght is marvellous thing..

You have learnt an expensive lesson, and made me think twice about our next dune bashing adventure, I think ...perhaps next time we will collar a mate.

You could always strap a moped to the back of your 4x4 lol