Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The 475 visa and NSW driving licence

The 475 visa and NSW driving licence

Old Sep 12th 2009, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Wishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really niceWishwewerethere is just really nice
Question The 475 visa and NSW driving licence

Currently under this visa as it is a provisional visa you cannot apply for an australian licence until you have been in the country for 6 months, but this only allows you a licence for a year currently $47.But you can drive on an english licence indefinately providing you can prove you are not a permanent resident or an Australian citizen which on the 475 we can.
What I want to know is what benefits there are to an Australian licence and forking out $47 each year until we apply for permanent residency in 3 years time and can get a licence for 5 years.
Or should we just stick to our english licences until we apply for permanent residency?
The current address we have on our english licence we sold and bought a place here so the english licence is incorrect but according to the DVLA site if you move address abroad you don't need to update them, does this then make them not current which is one of the stipulations for being able to drive on the uk licence in NSW.
What have others of you on temporary visas done?
Would appreciate others views before we shell out nearly $100 each year for mine and my husbands licence.Does anyone know how the law stands on this?

Many thanks
WWWT

Last edited by Wishwewerethere; Sep 12th 2009 at 2:53 am.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 2:55 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: The 475 visa and NSW driving licence

Do you have a friends address in the UK to transfer your licence to. That is what I did with mine, and what I think many people do.

I went for many years without an Australian licence, and it wasn't much of a problem.

In your shoes, I would just use the UK licence for as long as you are on a temp visa.

Old Sep 12th 2009, 3:15 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

From a pure convenience point of view, rather than legality, Australian licences are pretty much used as the primary form of ID for just about everything as it is about the only ID form which contains photo AND address details.

Otherwise you have to find your passport, some utility bills and whatever other documents from the arcane list the people who need to see it want.

You should remember that the Dept of Transport would be interested in your expiry of visa and you should just be able to apply for a 5 year anyhow. My sister in law did.
Old Sep 12th 2009, 3:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Centurion
You should remember that the Dept of Transport would be interested in your expiry of visa and you should just be able to apply for a 5 year anyhow. My sister in law did.
NSW changed the rules recently for temp visa holders.

From 18 April 2008, all new NSW licence applicants identified as temporary overseas visitors will be subject to the following licensing rules:

As a temporary overseas visitor, you will only be eligible to apply for a NSW licence once you have been in Australia for a continuous period of at least six months immediately prior to licence application.

Licences will be marked with the one letter code ‘Q’ in the conditions area on the front of the licence, with the accompanying text ‘Evidence of permanent resident status not provided to the RTA’ appearing on the back of the licence.

Licences issued with a ‘Q’ will only be valid for 12 months.
All other states, I think, would be able to do as you say, but not NSW.