Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

461 & Reciprocal health care - private cover help?

461 & Reciprocal health care - private cover help?

Old Jun 18th 2012, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Jen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really nice
Default 461 & Reciprocal health care - private cover help?

Hi all

I'm a UK citizen living in Oz on a 461 visa through my NZ partner. I know it's not a great long term visa (seems to be the standard response from those on better visas - lucky you!) but I didn't have much choice.

I have a reciprocal health card for Medicare since I'm British, all good for if anything happens. But when I've called various health providers to discuss private health insurance I've been told that I'm not entitled to full private health care - that I'll actually have to pay the cost of full health care but that I won't be able to be treated by a private doctor in a private hospital, only by a public doctor... Makes no sense to me. I have ambulance cover but think I'm still missing the ball on what the requirements are around the Medicare Levy and the surcharge.

I would appreciate advise from anyone who is actually in Oz on a 461 visa on a reciprocal health care card or who has real experience of this (not just what they've read on the internet)... From reading numerous forums it seems there is a lot on confusion around this. I had thought that as I am not entitled to private health care then the medicare levy surcharge wouldn't apply to me but now I'm starting to think I'll be stung with the 1.5% charge in a few weeks (yes I have checked, I am over the salary limit).

Thanks
Jen
Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 461 & Reciprocal health care - private cover help?

Originally Posted by Jen28
Hi all

I'm a UK citizen living in Oz on a 461 visa through my NZ partner. I know it's not a great long term visa (seems to be the standard response from those on better visas - lucky you!) but I didn't have much choice.

I have a reciprocal health card for Medicare since I'm British, all good for if anything happens. But when I've called various health providers to discuss private health insurance I've been told that I'm not entitled to full private health care - that I'll actually have to pay the cost of full health care but that I won't be able to be treated by a private doctor in a private hospital, only by a public doctor... Makes no sense to me. I have ambulance cover but think I'm still missing the ball on what the requirements are around the Medicare Levy and the surcharge.

I would appreciate advise from anyone who is actually in Oz on a 461 visa on a reciprocal health care card or who has real experience of this (not just what they've read on the internet)... From reading numerous forums it seems there is a lot on confusion around this. I had thought that as I am not entitled to private health care then the medicare levy surcharge wouldn't apply to me but now I'm starting to think I'll be stung with the 1.5% charge in a few weeks (yes I have checked, I am over the salary limit).

Thanks
Jen
The medicare levy surcharge is payable by those who are registered with Medicare but do not have private health insurance, which is your case. Since you are not entitled to take out a cover that exempts you from the surcharge, but as the beneficiary of a reciprocal agreement you are covered by Medicare, you have to contribute that much more towards the system. It sucks and is unfair, but it is the lot of temporary residents.

Since I only have experience of this from having been on a 457 visa unlike you, but with reciprocal medicare like you and not on a 461 visa, feel free to disregard the above explanation.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Jen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really niceJen28 is just really nice

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
The medicare levy surcharge is payable by those who are registered with Medicare but do not have private health insurance, which is your case. Since you are not entitled to take out a cover that exempts you from the surcharge, but as the beneficiary of a reciprocal agreement you are covered by Medicare, you have to contribute that much more towards the system. It sucks and is unfair, but it is the lot of temporary residents.
Thanks for this Elice. It's a bit of a nightmare really made more complicated by being on a 461 visa which doesn't seem to be known or catered for by a lot of the medical insurance providers. It's bizarre that you have the reciprocal card but there's no concession for this in the pricing of policies. I've been quoted $2.5k for basic cover that will also eliminate the MLS and since I'm not on $250k a year (unfortunately) it seems pointless to take out private medical insurance since I'm covered somewhat by my reciprocal health care card and have seperate $200 a year cover for dental and ambulance. Seems counterinuiative as I would have it if it wasn't 3 times the price of what permanent residents pay!

But hey at least it's sunny I'll can take the lows with the highs!

If anyone know of a decent priced private plan for 461 visa's to help avoid the MLS without breaking the bank I'd love to know the details... Until then I'll wait til I'm cashing that $250k salary!

Cheers
Jen
Old Jul 11th 2012, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

A few more people might see your questions if you ask a mod to move it to the main Australia forum (as it isn't a question about immigration).

I have very poor understanding of the private medical system here other than it seems like a load of rubbish for everyone not just 461 holders, I have it purely because it is cheaper than the extra tax. I am not sure what $259k salary has to do with it though? is that where you would break even with extra tax costing more than the additional levy?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 11:45 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 461 & Reciprocal health care - private cover help?

Hi all

Thanks
Jen
I was on a 461 for my first three years here but I didn't get medical insurance as the medicare cover was identical to that given to a citizen, despite what some people may say.

If you are getting cover just to avoid the levy then some insurance companies do a policy which actually doesn't give you any benefits, but does excuse you from the levy. GMHBA is one I know of.

BB
Old Jul 20th 2012, 4:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
...some insurance companies do a policy which actually doesn't give you any benefits, but does excuse you from the levy. GMHBA is one I know of.BB
Great thanks BB will look into those types of policies see what the pricing comes out at. I know BUPA do one but they make you take out a health care policy as well which ended up being over $2k a year!

Out of curiosity and if you don't mind me asking - how did you get off of your 461 visa? It's not one I'm keen to stay on forever...
Old Jul 20th 2012, 4:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 461 & Reciprocal health care - private cover help?

how did you get off of your 461 visa? It's not one I'm keen to stay on forever...
I applied for a 176 PR visa. I wasn't eligible for it when I first emigrated, but another 2 years in my profession whilst in Australia plus 10 bonus points for work experience in Australia made me eligible. We then had to leave Australia to be granted the visa so we had a holiday in Vanuatu and immigration officials always comment on how our visas are the only ones they have ever seen handwritten and evidenced in Vanuatu!

We now have citizenship as up to 3 years on a 461 can count towards residency for citizenship purposes.

BB