Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457s will have to pay for their kids education in WA.....

457s will have to pay for their kids education in WA.....

Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:28 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457s will have to pay for their kids education in WA.....

Originally Posted by paddyo
Doesn't make it right though does it Teza......or are you on the 'well if they stuffed me up then why shouldn't every one else get stuffed up too' bus??
No I'm not. I actually gave birth Feb that year, month after baby bonus was announced and never got a cent for each of my kids (had my youngest then and was raising two eldest with $23/fortnight per kid despite hubby being on fab wage of $28k/year)..,and I was fine with that. My choice to have kids and all that.

But as with many of the same age group friends, I had heaps preggers friends at the same time, and many due in June and July. Could not believe the lengths the June people were going to to extent to July to get $3000, not just my friends but country wide. There should be still plenty of articles around as it was massive news. My main gripe at the time were friends on total income of $140k held out 9 days past due date (booked csectio on 1/7 and stayed in bed hoping for no labour, just for 3k). At the time it seemed ridiculous, they didn't need it and it was a matter of principal. As for the welfare, it became ticket for more money. Why else was it changed to fortnightly payment? But that's a whole new argument ..

I'm just saying these kind of snap decisions aren't just done on TRs but citizens as well.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 1:54 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
No I'm not. I actually gave birth Feb that year, month after baby bonus was announced and never got a cent for each of my kids (had my youngest then and was raising two eldest with $23/fortnight per kid despite hubby being on fab wage of $28k/year)..,and I was fine with that. My choice to have kids and all that.

But as with many of the same age group friends, I had heaps preggers friends at the same time, and many due in June and July. Could not believe the lengths the June people were going to to extent to July to get $3000, not just my friends but country wide. There should be still plenty of articles around as it was massive news. My main gripe at the time were friends on total income of $140k held out 9 days past due date (booked csectio on 1/7 and stayed in bed hoping for no labour, just for 3k). At the time it seemed ridiculous, they didn't need it and it was a matter of principal. As for the welfare, it became ticket for more money. Why else was it changed to fortnightly payment? But that's a whole new argument ..

I'm just saying these kind of snap decisions aren't just done on TRs but citizens as well.
Oh understand...well I am with you on that one. Its just bizarre how apathetic the Australian public and accepts all this stuff. Democracy??? Nah...I think not!
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Definitely think the employer should be footing the bill, since it doesn't start to the end of 2014 the employer will have had a good 6 months notice to either decide to cough up or change their employment strategy.

The argument of parents paying same tax as residents without the same return is a moot point in this case, its not the tax of parents that foots kids education its the tax of the kids themselves during their 20's/early 30's when they become contributors rather than consumers. Sure you can argue some residents might leave in the future so whats the difference, there's a difference between 'might' and 'definitely' as the 457 kids wont be here (unless their parents secure PR and the fee wont be an issue).

The employer is already obligated to pay return flights to ensure these people leave when the jobs done, it will do no harm for them to pay $4000 per child which I believe is only part of the cost of the kids education.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza

On the flip side your friends may experience a baby drought soon. The Budgie wants to bring in extended maternity leave. Not til 2015 though. Sounds like they like to play the system and hold out til then. In most cases ita certainly worth more than 3000 dollars.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 12:21 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1226720662686
Old Sep 17th 2013, 12:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

They must have been listening to Paddyo

"This means anyone who is already living here on a 457 visa or who has already lodged a visa application to come here soon will not have to pay unexpected fees," Mr Barnett said.
"We are giving plenty of notice that the fees will apply for the year after next."
Old Sep 17th 2013, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Why perform an "embarassing backflip" for people who have no say in the politcal process... and if WA is about to see as much of a downturn as people are claiming why bother with 457's at all?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 4:59 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCreature
Why perform an "embarassing backflip" for people who have no say in the politcal process... and if WA is about to see as much of a downturn as people are claiming why bother with 457's at all?
exactly - for an industry in decline why piss off people for what could turn out to be a few extra quid in the coffers

Smacks of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted
Old Sep 17th 2013, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCreature
Why indeed. A question that should be posed to those in business that seem to think they are vital to our economy.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:06 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
They must have been listening to Paddyo

"This means anyone who is already living here on a 457 visa or who has already lodged a visa application to come here soon will not have to pay unexpected fees," Mr Barnett said.
"We are giving plenty of notice that the fees will apply for the year after next."
I speak the voice of the future!!