Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 Work Visa Advice from DIMA

457 Work Visa Advice from DIMA

Old Feb 23rd 2004, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Briansf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 Work Visa Advice from DIMA

I just received an email from a DIMA officer in response to my queries concerning the 457 Long Stay visa.

I have followed off and on the 457 discussions on this forum for a while. I have considered this for myself but was put off by a couple of the PQBS firms saying I had to find my own job!!! That didn't make much sense so I asked DIMA what to make of it. DIMA had this to say about firms that say that to potential long-term workers:

"Freespirit and other labor hire companies are NOT permitted to sponsor overseas people and then require them to find their own work, this is strictly contrary to the Australian Government requirements and is one of the practices which has caused a recent review of (457) procedures. Such companies have been strongly advised against this procedure. I recommend that you may wish to organize a job with direct sponsorship from a company in Australia."

I thought I would share that. Any thoughts? Any chance these "Labor Hire Firms" might go the way of the dinosaur?