457 Visas

Old Jan 4th 2006, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all
Default 457 Visas

Hi there
I am confused on the 457 Visa issue.
I have been offered a job in Melbourne and the employer will sponser me and my partner on the 457 Visa.
There are a few issues regarding this visa that I am confused about.

1. Will I have to pay for the visa application or does the employer pay all the costs, as they are sponsoring us?
2. On the 457 Visa do we have to have police checks, full medicals as well as chest x rays?
3. How do I receive medical care without being out of pocket?
4. Can we obtain credit ie credit cards?

Any answers would be much appreciated or any other infoe or experiences on anyone who has gone through this process

Cheers
Michael
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 457 Visas

1. Will I have to pay for the visa application or does the employer pay all the costs, as they are sponsoring us?
2. On the 457 Visa do we have to have police checks, full medicals as well as chest x rays?
3. How do I receive medical care without being out of pocket?
4. Can we obtain credit ie credit cards?

Hiya. We've just done all this. Basically you fill in the form and send it with your payment to your future employer who submits it. Don't wait until you hear from immigration, just get on and organise your X-rays. Then pick up your X-rays and the report about a week later and take them for your medical. They then do your medical, take some blood, wait for the results and send it all to Sydney. We got the visas within a couple of weeks. I was really impressed with the service we got. Some woman kept e-mailing us all the way through telling us what was happening.

Hope that's helpful. Not sure about the other 2 bits as yet. Will be interested in seeing what others say about this...
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all29palms is a name known to all

Thanks for that.
Who told you that you needed a medical?.. Some people on here are saying all that was needed was a chest x-ray to obtain the 457 Visa. Others are saying that everthing was needed? Police Checks, Medicals and Chest X Rays.
I think thats why I am confused and to be honest my future emplyer in OZ hasnt been very forthcoming with info regarding the application process as yet
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Matt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to beholdMatt Sabin is a splendid one to behold

Hmmm - OK. We'll be working in the healthcare system meaning we had to have the lot but am not sure otherwise. Why don't you post this in the immigration forum. Someone's bound to know...
Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks a lot for your info and good luck in OZ
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

WacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura about

I suppose you may have posted this on the immigration forum now, but just in case I think I can answer some of your questions.
If you are in any sort of medical trade or work in a school then you may have to have medicals and blood tests.
My partner is a welder, and we only needed to have xrays, definately not any sort of medical or blood tests - we checked this a thousand times.
Although the 457 is a sponsored visa, we had to pay for this ourselves as company wouldnt pay anything.
Apparently it is hard to get a credit card as you are not a permanent resident, but maybe not impossible.

Dont forget to read all the info you can about the 457 - it is the worst visa to get in my opinion. The employer (your sponsor) can pull the plug at any time and you will have 28 days to find another sponsor or leave the country.

We have asked many many questions about the 457, so perhaps if you look up our posts relating to this, it may prove helpful
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

WacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura aboutWacandJill has a spectacular aura about

Oh, and the bit about medical care - your employer does not have to pay any contribution, its up to you to pay. If they will of course pay, then brilliant, but I think this may be unusual.

Also if you have any kids, please read the bit about school fees etc.,
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by WacandJill
If you are in any sort of medical trade or work in a school then you may have to have medicals and blood tests.
My partner is a welder, and we only needed to have xrays, definately not any sort of medical or blood tests - we checked this a thousand times.
Can I ask where you checked about not needing a medical? We have had our x-rays for our 457, but hubby's company's agents are saying that we need a medical too. He is in IT. Meds are booked for Friday, but I'd rather not have to shell out for them if we really don't need them.
TJ
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
Can I ask where you checked about not needing a medical? We have had our x-rays for our 457, but hubby's company's agents are saying that we need a medical too. He is in IT. Meds are booked for Friday, but I'd rather not have to shell out for them if we really don't need them.
TJ
We paid an agent/solicitors in Australia to do the application for us, and they confirmed. We also rang dima where our application went in, and they confirmed, as we were a bit concerned that others had had one. Apparently only when in contact with children, patients etc.,

When our xrays went in, we constantly checked on the web site how our application was doing, and once the xrays were received, it said something like all documentation received and application being processed.

I think I also got advice of one of the legal eagles on this site, who also confirmed that medicals were not necessary.

Must be okay, because we got our visas granted.
If I can help any further, please let me know
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Johnstons
TJ
We didn't have any medicals (or police checks) done for the 457 visa (our 2 children did need to have the medicals done - don't know why this rule, maybe because they are going into schooling system?) We had our medicals this end for the permanent visa application. You can sign up for medicare here under the reciprocal agreement which means you can get 'immediately necessary' health care. Regards to credit cards - we got one when we first arrived with no problems whatsoever.
Cheers,
Ruth
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

bri.thomson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pootle
We didn't have any medicals (or police checks) done for the 457 visa (our 2 children did need to have the medicals done - don't know why this rule, maybe because they are going into schooling system?) We had our medicals this end for the permanent visa application. You can sign up for medicare here under the reciprocal agreement which means you can get 'immediately necessary' health care. Regards to credit cards - we got one when we first arrived with no problems whatsoever.
Cheers,
Ruth
Hi Pootle
Did you have any problems applying for your PR once you were there on a 457?
How long did you leave it to apply for PR after you had arrived on the 457?
I'm just wondering as we are going to be coming in on a 457 and have been advised to wait a while before applying for PR?
Any news would be appreciated
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bri.thomson
Hi Pootle
Did you have any problems applying for your PR once you were there on a 457?
How long did you leave it to apply for PR after you had arrived on the 457?
I'm just wondering as we are going to be coming in on a 457 and have been advised to wait a while before applying for PR?
Any news would be appreciated
Hi,
Hubby was sponsored under the employer nomination scheme and we applied a few months after arriving (I think some of the rules changed though in April so not sure if its all the same). If you're going to apply for PR independently I don't think there are any restrictions when you apply. When are you making the move?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

bri.thomson will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pootle
Hi,
Hubby was sponsored under the employer nomination scheme and we applied a few months after arriving (I think some of the rules changed though in April so not sure if its all the same). If you're going to apply for PR independently I don't think there are any restrictions when you apply. When are you making the move?
I will be coming down in February, but I will be commuting for a few months and then the family should hopefully follow around April / May time?

Thats the plan. My company is doing all the visa stuff for us, but I am probably a little out of the ordinary because I will be commuting back and forth to NZ to work for an Australian company, so they say I can stay wherever I want either in Aus or NZ, but it looks like the Family have taken a shine to the Brisbane area?
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bri.thomson
I will be coming down in February, but I will be commuting for a few months and then the family should hopefully follow around April / May time?

Thats the plan. My company is doing all the visa stuff for us, but I am probably a little out of the ordinary because I will be commuting back and forth to NZ to work for an Australian company, so they say I can stay wherever I want either in Aus or NZ, but it looks like the Family have taken a shine to the Brisbane area?
Sounds nice! NZ is beautiful! Good luck with it all...
Old Jan 4th 2006, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

WacandJill and Pootle, thanks for your replies . Phoned the agents and hubby and both daughters need meds but i don't Not complaining though, that's £105 saved .
TJ

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.