Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 visa stories

457 visa stories

Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 visa stories

Me and my family are hopefully going to move out to Australia on a 457 visa in the near future.
I was just wanting to hear from people who have already done this, how they found sponsorship, if they now have PR, what jobs they do, if they changed jobs whilst in Australia? Pros cons and any other bits of advice.... Also things like where people have settled, if anyone had a baby on a 457 visa etc etc

We have no choice but to go down the 457 route and then try for PR through our employer after 2 years due to the fact my OH job is on the SOL but he has no degree. We would be interested to get feedback from those of you out there who have already done it!

Looking forward to your replies

Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:53 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of
Default Re: 457 visa stories

Here on 457 since June last year, all good no complaints. Applied for my ENS PR visa in Feb and now just waiting
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:44 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Arrived June 2005 on 457, applied for PR 2 years after, now PR since January. No problems at all, all good.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

On 457 but not got PR yet. No problems with 457 visa.
Also used medicare(UK agreement) lots without problems, this includes hospital consultation, blood tests,gp visits etc.

If its your only way and your sponsor is reliable its ok.

However found out that Uni fees are expensive until you are on PR, also you cant get things like family allowance if you have kids. So financially PR has benefits.

Gems
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:45 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

We found the employers first and they talked us through the visa processes and options. They're quite a large firm with many migrant employees so we'd knew they'd have an established relationship with the immigration department.

We've decided not to take up PR at the moment because of the tax advantages of "living away from home" and because Queensland doesn't charge temp visa holders for school fees, unlike some other states.

457 is working well for us and no complaints at all.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:19 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
We've decided not to take up PR at the moment because of the tax advantages of "living away from home" and because Queensland doesn't charge temp visa holders for school fees, unlike some other states.
Private schools, TAFE and University charge full international student rates though and that's big bucks so depends how old the children are.

Also don't all schools charge a few hundred bucks each year for uniform and equipment ?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:41 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gina123
Me and my family are hopefully going to move out to Australia on a 457 visa in the near future.
I was just wanting to hear from people who have already done this, how they found sponsorship, if they now have PR, what jobs they do, if they changed jobs whilst in Australia? Pros cons and any other bits of advice.... Also things like where people have settled, if anyone had a baby on a 457 visa etc etc

We arrived Saturday on 457 Visa, I am 45 so PR may not be possible for me after my 457 period is up. We will cross that bridge when we come to it, or IF we come to it!
As for medical care, we took a beach excursion on Sunday with some friends to check out the Sydney eastern beaches. Our 3 yr old demon child decided to fall down some steep blocks on Maroubra Beach and cut his chin open which require stitching. Everyone was very helpful and we got to the Childrens Hospital and got it all sorted, even though we had not sorted out the medicare or company medical benefits yet. They just wanted a copy of his passport to prove he was UK (which I will fax them next week) and its all free under the reciprocal health agreement.
LAFHA certainly makes life easier, yes we get no family benefits but our son is not yet of school age so we don't have to pay the school fees yet either. I am here till 2011 so here's hoping!!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
We arrived Saturday on 457 Visa, I am 45 so PR may not be possible for me after my 457 period is up. We will cross that bridge when we come to it, or IF we come to it!
As for medical care, we took a beach excursion on Sunday with some friends to check out the Sydney eastern beaches. Our 3 yr old demon child decided to fall down some steep blocks on Maroubra Beach and cut his chin open which require stitching. Everyone was very helpful and we got to the Childrens Hospital and got it all sorted, even though we had not sorted out the medicare or company medical benefits yet. They just wanted a copy of his passport to prove he was UK (which I will fax them next week) and its all free under the reciprocal health agreement.
LAFHA certainly makes life easier, yes we get no family benefits but our son is not yet of school age so we don't have to pay the school fees yet either. I am here till 2011 so here's hoping!!

One day the Medicare rules will be enforced properly and a British passport will no longer be enough (because it does not prove country of residence). They may also withdraw cover from long term temporary residents.

As to the 45 age bar, you may wish to browse through immigration booklet 5 which discusses the age waiver for employer nomination, but unless you really had no roots in your previous country you took a huge risk coming to Australia on a 457 with no guarantee you can stay.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix

Also don't all schools charge a few hundred bucks each year for uniform and equipment ?
Oh yes!!!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
One day the Medicare rules will be enforced properly and a British passport will no longer be enough (because it does not prove country of residence). They may also withdraw cover from long term temporary residents.

As to the 45 age bar, you may wish to browse through immigration booklet 5 which discusses the age waiver for employer nomination, but unless you really had no roots in your previous country you took a huge risk coming to Australia on a 457 with no guarantee you can stay.

Don't be so gloomy! One day a bus may run you down!

Best move to make to the best country in the world. Moving Intra-Company I have no real worries about 457 route and we have no kids so school fees are not an issue. A good company accountant means I also get great LAFHA.

Go for it!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Bix
Private schools, TAFE and University charge full international student rates though and that's big bucks so depends how old the children are.

Well that's a few years away for our kids and we can take up the PR application whenever we want because the employer has contracted to sponsor us for that. For all we know the kids could decide to go elsewhere for their higher education anyway, or could get employer funded placements. I doubt that we'd be staying here anyway once we reach retirement age - because of the way that pensions are frozen outside of the EC we're more likely to return to Europe anyway. In the meantime let us eat lotus.

As for uniform and equipment.......wish it were a "few hundred bucks" ! but the visa status has nothing to do with that anyway.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
I doubt that we'd be staying here anyway once we reach retirement age - because of the way that pensions are frozen outside of the EC we're more likely to return to Europe anyway.
Only the state pension is frozen ... which isn't much anyway. Presumably you're planning something additional to fund your retirement.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:39 am

Every bit helps, our employer final salary schemes are index linked though I believe we'll be taxed both in the UK and Oz on them, or at least the lump sums.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:13 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

We came on a 457 and my employer turned out to be crap - the job nothing like I expected.
I was fortunate as I have been seconded out to another company for almost the entire time here (Aug 05), but if this had not been the case I would have had the tricky job of trying to find a suitable sponsor to employ me.

I now have PR and can leave my sponsoring company when I want, but as I am still seconded I am in no rush just yet.

My employers accountant is also crap and (we have just found out) seems to have no idea how to properly administer LAFHA. Because of this we are about $10k out of pocket compared to what we were entitled to, although we are in the process of trying to get an adjustment sorted.

We had no option other than a 457 due to not getting enough points the traditional route, and many others will be in the same boat. In short - if you have a good company then it is a great visa, if not then (and by the time you are out here it is too late) you are at huge risk and may suffer financially/emotianally/professionally.

Good luck in you progress!
Steve
Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:17 am

I think you've well and truely hit the nail on the head with that observation.
Getting the right employer is vital (we've made that mistake too in the past)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.