Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 visa - School

457 visa - School

Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Derek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura about
Default 457 visa - School

I am looking to move to Australia Bendigo Victoria on a 457 visa. could any one let me know if my children 11 and 13 could go to state schools or do they have to go to private?
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:14 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa - School

Originally Posted by Derek Clarke
I am looking to move to Australia Bendigo Victoria on a 457 visa. could any one let me know if my children 11 and 13 could go to state schools or do they have to go to private?
I think when you're on a 457, you have to contribute to your kids school fees anyway.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
I think when you're on a 457, you have to contribute to your kids school fees anyway.
In NSW yes - but as far as I know not in Victoria, at least for now. The original poster should check.

But more fundamentally (again to the original poster) - why go on a 457 visa instead of a permanent visa like RSMS (Bendigo is eligible for this visa).

There are so many cases where 457 holders get into a complete mess when things don't work out in Australia (or the employer won't sponsor for permanency and they have to go home) - the security of permanent residence is worth its weight in gold.

Jeremy
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:11 am
ABCDiamond

457 visa holders don't need to pay for schooling in QLD either.

Old Apr 23rd 2005, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Derek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura aboutDerek Clarke has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by JAJ
In NSW yes - but as far as I know not in Victoria, at least for now. The original poster should check.

But more fundamentally (again to the original poster) - why go on a 457 visa instead of a permanent visa like RSMS (Bendigo is eligible for this visa).

There are so many cases where 457 holders get into a complete mess when things don't work out in Australia (or the employer won't sponsor for permanency and they have to go home) - the security of permanent residence is worth its weight in gold.

Jeremy
Thanks, Main reason for a 457 visa is I have been informed by the sponsor is speed they want to get me over quick.
I have indicated that I would rather go for permanent visa, but the more I look at it the more i will insist on one.

Derek
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 4:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derek Clarke
Thanks, Main reason for a 457 visa is I have been informed by the sponsor is speed they want to get me over quick.
I have indicated that I would rather go for permanent visa, but the more I look at it the more i will insist on one.

Derek
If you must go on a 457 the following is essential reading:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447

As for speed of processing, employer nominated permanent visas are usually processed quickly and a well prepared application that meets the requirements should not take too long. You or your employer should hire an agent familiar with ENS/RSMS to advise on the process.

ENS rules changed on 2 April and now require a skill assessment for immediate PR.

RSMS should be quicker - you will have a legal obligation to make a 'genuine effort' to work for your sponsor for 2 years but this should not be a problem. If you get made redundant you will keep your visa (unlike for a 457) and after the 2 years you can work wherever you like in Australia.

If you are leaving behind a job in the UK, then it makes a lot of sense to have the security of permanent residence *before* you uproot yourselves.

I'd advise starting your police check process now. Form 47P has details:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/47p.pdf

Jeremy