Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 visa - positive v negatives

457 visa - positive v negatives

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Jez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of light
Default 457 visa - positive v negatives

In a bit of dilemma ! Are currently in the process of obtaining STNI visa for Western Australia. Have been trade approved and sponsored by Western Australia and DIMIA are currently processing our application (we expect around 6 months including medicals etc). However, received a telephone call very early this morning from IPA Personnel in Perth who, on behalf of a major builder, wants me to move over as soon as possible on a 457 Visa (which they will organise). The question is whether there are any implications to our existing application if we move over on a temporary 457 Visa. Our application will obviously still go ahead but we don't really know anything about these 457 Visa and how the process works. Any advice greatly appreciated. :scared:
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 3:33 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa - positive v negatives

Originally Posted by Jez & Lorraine
In a bit of dilemma ! Are currently in the process of obtaining STNI visa for Western Australia. Have been trade approved and sponsored by Western Australia and DIMIA are currently processing our application (we expect around 6 months including medicals etc). However, received a telephone call very early this morning from IPA Personnel in Perth who, on behalf of a major builder, wants me to move over as soon as possible on a 457 Visa (which they will organise). The question is whether there are any implications to our existing application if we move over on a temporary 457 Visa. Our application will obviously still go ahead but we don't really know anything about these 457 Visa and how the process works. Any advice greatly appreciated. :scared:
Look here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357804

G
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:21 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa - positive v negatives

In my opinion there are not many advantages however:-

The requirements to obtain a 457 temp visa are less demanding than for a PR visas as there is no long term right to stay in Australia.
A 457 can get you here quicker although other sponsored visas like RSMS and ENS can be quick too and they are PR visas.
A 457 can get you here when there are no other options open to you so can be a stepping stone to PR....provided you meet the PR requirements when the time comes.
A 457 gives you a job from day one. It may not be great pay or conditions but at least you start work right away and learn the ropes. RSMS or ENS also do that though.

There are lots of threads on 457 visas so do a search of the this forum and have a good read

In the meantime here's a couple to catch up on..
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...40#post3231440

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358422

The last visa granted by DIMIA will cancel any already held so if you take this route make absolutely sure the 457 will come through first.

I don't know a lot about STNI but if you continue with that one remember
you may have to be offshore at the time of visa grant.

So in a nutshell the order of preference should always be a stand alone PR visa, then a sponsored PR visa and lastly a temp visa.

A 457 temp is something you do not want to be on for longer than necessary if you intend staying in Australia.

My 457 visa took 7 weeks applying online from the UK - medicals were lost for 3 weeks so it could have been quicker. My RSMS visa took 4 weeks applying from within Australia. So you can see they can be very quick.

I don't know if where you are going is classed as a regional area hence qualifying for RSMS status. If it is why not ask them to sponsor you for that ?

By the way if I remember correctly the cost to the sponsor is zero for an RSMS but there is a cost to you.

Good luck
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:56 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 457 visa - positive v negatives

Originally Posted by Bix
The last visa granted by DIMIA will cancel any already held so if you take this route make absolutely sure the 457 will come through first.
This is the most key piece of advice from Bix and your biggest potential pitfall.

Cheers

Buzzy