Reload this Page >

457 visa and medicare

457 visa and medicare

Old May 23rd 2006, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

shelley77 will become famous soon enough
Default 457 visa and medicare

hi

hubby is on 457 visa and i am on a student visa, just due to be going onto his visa.

we currently had a medibank health cover as required for the student visa, but now wonder how to go about getting health cover for both of us on his 457 visa.....and should we register ourselves at medicare with our nhs cards or are we not entiltled to medicare on a temporary visa...????

thanks
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:12 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 visa and medicare

Originally Posted by shelley77
hi

hubby is on 457 visa and i am on a student visa, just due to be going onto his visa.

we currently had a medibank health cover as required for the student visa, but now wonder how to go about getting health cover for both of us on his 457 visa.....and should we register ourselves at medicare with our nhs cards or are we not entiltled to medicare on a temporary visa...????

thanks
You can get medicare on a 457. Go to your local medicare centre with your passport/visa and perhaps a secondary form of ID (can't remember how much ID you need) and they'll register you there and then
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:15 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
You can get medicare on a 457. Go to your local medicare centre with your passport/visa and perhaps a secondary form of ID (can't remember how much ID you need) and they'll register you there and then
On a 457 your medicare card actually states on the top 'Reciprocal Health Care - Immediately Necessary Care ONLY'. Still great to have though!
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

shelley77 will become famous soon enough

will this only entitle us to emergency things anyway....or can you get reimbursed if you have to go to a doctor for normal things?

what would be the benefit/need for getting health cover?
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Read through this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358422

hi

thanks
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:17 am

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

will this only entitle us to emergency things anyway....or can you get reimbursed if you have to go to a doctor for normal things?

There are loads and loads of threads about whether or not to get private medical insurance while on a 457. If you do a search you should find all the suggestions/advice you need. I started one quite recently too I think. Good luck.
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:20 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tygwyn
On a 457 your medicare card actually states on the top 'Reciprocal Health Care - Immediately Necessary Care ONLY'. Still great to have though!
Really? I can't remember our cards on a 457

Don't remember that, though

In fact, I'm pretty sure we used medicare for some reason....I'll get back to you when I've talked to my wife
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:25 am

Really? I can't remember our cards on a 457

Don't remember that, though

In fact, I'm pretty sure we used medicare for some reason....I'll get back to you when I've talked to my wife
May not have stated it when you had one but it does now (got mine in front of me ). You can use the card for visiting the docs for emergency treatment etc. For example my friend had terrible pains in her tummy in the night and went to the docs this morning - she used her card no problem and they've referred her for a scan tomorrow (which I would assume will also be covered?)
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:26 am
Take it easy

hmmm....not sure now...sorry, I'm having trouble remembering when we had temp status.

There is a form you get when you sign on to medicare that explains the exemptions for various health covers based on your residence status.

I don't see any need for private health cover but then again, I'm hardly ever sick. It depends how well you want you and your family covered by health insurance.
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:28 am
Take it easy

May not have stated it when you had one but it does now (got mine in front of me ). You can use the card for visiting the docs for emergency treatment etc. For example my friend had terrible pains in her tummy in the night and went to the docs this morning - she used her card no problem and they've referred her for a scan tomorrow (which I would assume will also be covered?)
So just make everything sound like an emergency
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:31 am

So just make everything sound like an emergency
Exactly!! Its a pain you've never had before and it came on all of a sudden!! Absolute agony!
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:35 am
Take it easy

Exactly!! Its a pain you've never had before and it came on all of a sudden!! Absolute agony!
Not forgetting the stress and trauma

No wonder they think we're whinging poms