Reload this Page >

457 Visa & ICT Salary

457 Visa & ICT Salary

Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:16 pm
FWL
Just Joined

FWL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 Visa & ICT Salary

Hi, I'm new to the forum today and I was wondering if anyone could help me out regarding my situation.

I am from Scotland and I am currently living in Melbourne on a Working Holiday Visa. Luckily, I am working as a software developer for a small company based in the city. The role was originally only meant to be part time but it turned into a full time role.

Anyway, it's an entry level position so I'm only making about $40k just now so what with regards to my employer going ahead and sponsoring me on a 457 visa, I noticed that ICT positions have a prescribed salary level of about 61k. Does that mean that my boss is going to have to give me a salary jump of approximately 20k?

It's only a small company so I can't see that happening, are there any ways around this? There are other developers in the company and I don't know how much they earn so it makes this situation difficult to work out.

I noticed on the form where the Employer registers to be a sponsor and nominates a position, he specifies what what I would be getting. What kind of checks do immigration do on this kind of thing apart from what's specified?

To confuse me even more on this situation, my mate has just been sponsored in Sydney as an "ICT Support Officer" on approximately $52k a year!

Any help or guidance on this situation would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 21st 2011, 11:59 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Visa & ICT Salary

40k??? Jeez that is low. I appreciate that its an entry level position but still. If it does not meet the ATO MSL then it will not meet the 457 sponsorship criteria. Double check the figures though as I was led to believe that it is all one level now, regardless of ICT or not.
Also, if you now have experience in Australia and have done a decent job, think about looking further afield for a different sponsor who would pay the higher salary.

Originally Posted by FWL
Hi, I'm new to the forum today and I was wondering if anyone could help me out regarding my situation.

I am from Scotland and I am currently living in Melbourne on a Working Holiday Visa. Luckily, I am working as a software developer for a small company based in the city. The role was originally only meant to be part time but it turned into a full time role.

Anyway, it's an entry level position so I'm only making about $40k just now so what with regards to my employer going ahead and sponsoring me on a 457 visa, I noticed that ICT positions have a prescribed salary level of about 61k. Does that mean that my boss is going to have to give me a salary jump of approximately 20k?

It's only a small company so I can't see that happening, are there any ways around this? There are other developers in the company and I don't know how much they earn so it makes this situation difficult to work out.

I noticed on the form where the Employer registers to be a sponsor and nominates a position, he specifies what what I would be getting. What kind of checks do immigration do on this kind of thing apart from what's specified?

To confuse me even more on this situation, my mate has just been sponsored in Sydney as an "ICT Support Officer" on approximately $52k a year!

Any help or guidance on this situation would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:16 am
FWL
Just Joined

It's not ideal but it was more about getting my foot in the door with an Australian IT company really.

TSMIT is set at approximately $47k across all occupations as shown below:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/457-m...lary-rates.htm

You'll notice though that it says about the bottom of that page that ICT occupations are $61k salary, unless I am reading it wrong. Maybe I am after my mate can get sponsored on less than that?

What I do know is all this stuff is messing with my head
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 1:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
I was led to believe that it is all one level now, regardless of ICT or not.
Yes I think that is the case, but the DIAC website is incredibly confusing and ambiguous on the subject.

I think the MSR is currently $47,480 for everyone.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

litepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nicelitepurple is just really nice

My understanding is that the old MSLs have gone for recent 457 visa holders (I can't remember the date) and replaced by average market salary for the job code which must be above the TSMIT minimum income threshold of around $48k (otherwise, no 457). However, to be sponsored on a 457 you have to be offered a role which pays at least the average market salary for that job code.

The Immi site is very confusing as it still quotes the old rules and minimum salary levels.

I asked a similar question before: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=712264
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:11 am
FWL
Just Joined

I posted a reply earlier this morning with the link to where I was reading the information but it hasn't been approved by admin yet (must be because I put a URL in it).

The information in the reply in your thread there from bcworld shows that $61k figure I was talking about... As you suggested in the reply, is that for people that were granted a 457 before September 2009? Or will $48k be enough?

It's rather frustrating this stuff!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FWL
I posted a reply earlier this morning with the link to where I was reading the information but it hasn't been approved by admin yet (must be because I put a URL in it).

The information in the reply in your thread there from bcworld shows that $61k figure I was talking about... As you suggested in the reply, is that for people that were granted a 457 before September 2009? Or will $48k be enough?

It's rather frustrating this stuff!
I think ignore the $61k figure. Essentially, you should be paid about the same as other people in your workplace who do an equivalent role. Or your employer will have to demonstrate that they are paying you a market rate, but it will have to be at least $48k.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:27 am
FWL
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think ignore the $61k figure. Essentially, you should be paid about the same as other people in your workplace who do an equivalent role. Or your employer will have to demonstrate that they are paying you a market rate, but it will have to be at least $48k.
Cheers. I did think it was a rather strange figure, especially as my mate was sponsored on less.

I spoke to my boss earlier today and he's open to the idea of sponsorship and is going to research it in the next couple of weeks and speak with the other guys I work with. I've held off asking him as it's a small company with not a great budget but I suppose if you don't ask, you don't get.

I'd be fine getting the TSMIT level and equivalent rate as he said I was due a wage rise anyway so fingers crossed he gives me some good news soon.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:08 am
Just Joined

Fothey is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't jump into a 457 visa arrangement at that salary!

Look around, contact some larger employers and see if you can get something better. Try some of the larger ICT consultancies. There's plenty of them in Melbourne.

Good luck!

Last edited by Fothey; Jun 25th 2011 at 3:23 am.