Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

457 Visa Holders are raking it in!!

457 Visa Holders are raking it in!!

Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:56 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 457 Visa Holders are raking it in!!

Skilled migrant workers in Australia are said to be earning $15,000 more on average than their Ozzie counterparts according to a report in today's "Australian".

The 457 was introduced by the Howard government to provide skilled workers to the IT and mining industries, but now it seems that all sectors of the employment market are employing temporary migrants and paying more than an Ozzie would get in the same job.

Bit of a contrast to the labour market in NZ hey? where migrants often accept lower pay in an effort to enjoy the famed "Kiwi Lifestyle".

Here's the link
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...23-601,00.html
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 457 Visa Holders are raking it in!!

Originally Posted by Nerine
Skilled migrant workers in Australia are said to be earning $15,000 more on average than their Ozzie counterparts according to a report in today's "Australian".

The 457 was introduced by the Howard government to provide skilled workers to the IT and mining industries, but now it seems that all sectors of the employment market are employing temporary migrants and paying more than an Ozzie would get in the same job.

Bit of a contrast to the labour market in NZ hey? where migrants often accept lower pay in an effort to enjoy the famed "Kiwi Lifestyle".

Here's the link
I think I can speak on behalf of a lot of 457 holders when I say that anyoine who believes the title of this thread is NOT a 457 holder.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 4:21 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think I can speak on behalf of a lot of 457 holders when I say that anyoine who believes the title of this thread is NOT a 457 holder.
Too true, not even there till next week but already a bit hacked off that I have to pay all the taxes etc yet do not get the same welfare priviliges as others AND have to pay school fees!! Glad I am going but its not the golden pot that some may think it is.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paddyo
Too true, not even there till next week but already a bit hacked off that I have to pay all the taxes etc yet do not get the same welfare priviliges as others AND have to pay school fees!! Glad I am going but its not the golden pot that some may think it is.

Agree, definitley not the golden pot, but really glad we are going too, even with a reduction in salary to go. When do you fly Paddyo?? We fly on the 3rd April
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:19 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Agreed! We're not a 457 holder now........but we used to be. Wages were lower and although we paid the same tax as everyone else.......we didnt get anything back from it.......no family tax credit etc etc etc. Some people prob do ok with LAFHA, but we didnt get it and many many people dont. It was hard work for us on a 457!

Last edited by Mrs Jackaroo; Mar 18th 2008 at 9:05 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:57 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

the 457 means a massive wage drop for us but hell we expected that lafha is nice but doesnt make up for all the things we dont get!!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=paddyo;6079796] I have to pay all the taxes etc yet do not get the same welfare priviliges as others AND have to pay school fees!! [QUOTE]

You need a good company accountant that understands and will push the LAFHA to the limit!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

If the 'average worker' is getting $15k more then there must be a few people on extortionate amounts of money because the majority on here seem to be on about $15k less - unfortunately you can almost guarantee the ones on a lot more won't be the 'average joe'.

I wonder if the higher paid ones are in mining? or is it just that the wages are lower here than elsewhere for the same jobs (Most likely)
Old Mar 18th 2008, 9:51 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the link
The statistics in the article are a little misleading...

They are saying taht the 457 skilled immigrants are earning more than the average australian wage...... wellll duhhhhhh....they are 'skilled immigrants'....of course they are going to earn more than the Australian average.......

Having siad that, good on 'em - if they wanna make the big move, work hard and earn decent money then good for them I say!!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 10:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

These temporary visa holders were making a lot of money...........but I doubt if they saw much of it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7282711.stm

G

Last edited by Grayling; Mar 18th 2008 at 10:02 pm. Reason: Bad link
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:42 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a thought then : perhaps some temp visa holders are being paid more - as a form of "compensation" for having to pay for schools fees in some states, medical insurance, relocation expenses etc. Maybe employers feel they need to offer people more $$$ to attract them in?

Temp entrants may say they are accepting pay at a lesser level than they were earning back in the UK but still, unknowingly, get paid more than the Ozzie they work next to. Employers are hardly going to highlight it in any way are they?

It's a contrast to the NZ low wage economy, companies there who actively recruit from the UK job market (eg. through Expos) often openly acknowledge that they cannot offer the financial incentives to attract people out to the country and their only real selling point is to push the lifestyle. I've heard company HR directors say it.

The report also cites higher temp migrant pay as being one of the reasons for increased levels of inflation in Australia, and I wonder if the real agenda here is to tinker around with statistics to undermine the Howard government's construct - the 457 Visa
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:47 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jasonmb
Agree, definitley not the golden pot, but really glad we are going too, even with a reduction in salary to go. When do you fly Paddyo?? We fly on the 3rd April
Flying out on the 25th (our boys 3rd birthday) stopping of in singers for a couple of days and arrive in Sydney on the 29th.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:51 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

[QUOTE=Red_V_Roger;6081148][QUOTE=paddyo;6079796] I have to pay all the taxes etc yet do not get the same welfare priviliges as others AND have to pay school fees!!

You need a good company accountant that understands and will push the LAFHA to the limit!
Hope I get one!! lol
The food element is statute but the rental is flexible, but, is it not based upon actuals or is it based on an assumed 'reasonable' figure? We have based my offer on $500 pw rent, but we are looking at places $650 so will obviously negotiate for at least that amount!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of lightJasonmb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paddyo
Flying out on the 25th (our boys 3rd birthday) stopping of in singers for a couple of days and arrive in Sydney on the 29th.

Nice, hope you have a great flight and stopover, ours hasn't gone as planned - long story. Enjoy Sydney,
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:56 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Here's a thought then : perhaps some temp visa holders are being paid more - as a form of "compensation" for having to pay for schools fees in some states, medical insurance, relocation expenses etc. Maybe employers feel they need to offer people more $$$ to attract them in?

Temp entrants may say they are accepting pay at a lesser level than they were earning back in the UK but still, unknowingly, get paid more than the Ozzie they work next to. Employers are hardly going to highlight it in any way are they?

It's a contrast to the NZ low wage economy, companies there who actively recruit from the UK job market (eg. through Expos) often openly acknowledge that they cannot offer the financial incentives to attract people out to the country and their only real selling point is to push the lifestyle. I've heard company HR directors say it.

The report also cites higher temp migrant pay as being one of the reasons for increased levels of inflation in Australia, and I wonder if the real agenda here is to tinker around with statistics to undermine the Howard government's construct - the 457 Visa
Thats a bit too deep for me, and for too many levels of paranoia!! lol
I am actually getting a large pay rise to come out but, with super and rentals and keeping my property in UK it really is no big difference. as in my earlier post its the lack of parity with other tax payers that I find grievance with. But, having said that, LAFHA does certainly help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.